Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Devil's advocate thread - what would be good about the mooted pirate league?

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Only good thing is there might just be a few players with a big enough conscience to want away from the greed. It's a pretty small pool of players to pick from unless they import from the Americas

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
The only good thing is that it would stop the '2 leagues' of the PL and wound make it a much more level playing field.

I was going to add that it increases the chances of Dunk, White and Webster getting an England call up if the big 6 players get banned, but then I woke up and realised that the Waistcoated *a let is still the manager

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Not 'good' per se but I am permitting myself a chortle at the PL's expense. After all they pioneered the concept of a breakaway in the first place, and now that someone with more money has come along and done the same to them they're coming over all 'moral high ground' and presenting themselves as the voice of disadvantaged fans and clubs. Zero sympathy from me I'm afraid.

With regard to the concept itself, yeah I'm opposed, I guess, but frankly for me these days on top of VAR and the current rule changes to offside and handball (which themselves came on top of over-priced tickets and the over-stewarded 'sit down, shut up' matches themselves) I have so little interest in football that it's a bit like them announcing a new darts or tennis competition. So I'm a bit 'meh' about the whole thing. After all they're not actually leaving their respective leagues are they? I'll admit to not knowing all the details (because I'm not that interested), but reading the headlines it seems to be extending the already overbloated Champions' (sic) League with the added factor that some sides will always been in 'Europe' regardless of their domestic league performances. I don't think it's as radical as when the actual breakaway PL was set up.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Actually t might not be so bad if the 12 clubs were excluded from all domestic league and cup competitions, and the Champions and Europa Leagues. The FA Cup final is a bore every year now - Liverpool, Manchester and London clubs only, and the Champions League final is a boring procession of the usual suspects.
Take out the greedy clubs from the 'proper' football pyramid, and the competitions might be much more interesting again. Hard on the true supporters of Liverpool, United, City, etc., but that would be their clubs' fault.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
We'd end in up playing in a competitive league, kicking off at 3pm most Saturdays, and in time once wages and transfer fees had settled down, the remaining clubs would actually start running as businesses rather than financial black holes.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I can think of some advantages.

1. A tiny number of very rich men may make a bit more money from internet broadcasting income.

2. Er....

3. I'm struggling here....

4. Some armchair fans in the UK can watch their team play the likes of Juve and Barca every Wednesday night rather than the likes of Newcastle, Everton Leicester and West Ham.

5. That set against none of their heroes playing for England again.

6. People in China get a 20% reduction in internet football watching charges. Well....till the charges go up again.

7. I'm stuck now.

8. Just parochial issues left.. for example we will never have to play United scum FA cup cheats again.

9. Mmmmmm...

10. No sorry. It's a load of old ****, isn't it.

Someone help me out here :shrug:

1. The big boys f**k off and take their TV money with them. 5 or 6 FC New Team's are created and join the bottom of the pyramid. Clubs need to survive on gate money, merchandising and some TV. Player wages reduce to sensible levels allowing the best of them to buy a pub when they hang up their boots. Rattles go on sale in club shop

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
The way things are going I can see the ESL being fully Americanised and I'd quite like to see half time shows with. cheerleaders, flame throwers all sponsored by gatorade.

Apart from that its sounds meh

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The only good thing is that it would stop the '2 leagues' of the PL and wound make it a much more level playing field.

I was going to add that it increases the chances of Dunk, White and Webster getting an England call up if the big 6 players get banned, but then I woke up and realised that the Waistcoated *a let is still the manager

Without the Big 6, Villa would be one of the favourites to win the New Premier League. Under Southgate, Konsa, Mings, Cash and Targett would be starting for England in defence.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
We'd end in up playing in a competitive league, kicking off at 3pm most Saturdays, and in time once wages and transfer fees had settled down, the remaining clubs would actually start running as businesses rather than financial black holes.

Indeed. Actually the more I think about it the more I think the current scheme doesn't go far enough. They should all resign from their respective leagues. Let them all go and play in a European, even a global sealed super-league. Let them have matches in America and Asia, all screened exclusively on their own PPV TV channels and with them wearing a new kit for each game. This could be the chance that we've been waiting for to re-set and re-boot the domestic game: money, ownership, VAR, etc, we could start afresh.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Well Beaky will be happy. He can underspend even more now in his quest to maintain top flight status above all else.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Indeed. Actually the more I think about it the more I think the current scheme doesn't go far enough. They should all resign from their respective leagues. Let them all go and play in a European, even a global sealed super-league. Let them have matches in America and Asia, all screened exclusively on their own PPV TV channels and with them wearing a new kit for each game. This could be the chance that we've been waiting for to re-set and re-boot the domestic game: money, ownership, VAR, etc, we could start afresh.
I'm rapidly coming round to this pont of view myself - but never mind the greedy 12 resigning from their leagues - let the leagues kick 'em out. !4 PL clubs are going to have a meeting - that's a two thirds majority which constitutionally can change PL rules, I think. Would be great if they voted the six greedy buggers out, and then leave us with decent domestic competition.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm rapidly coming round to this pont of view myself - but never mind the greedy 12 resigning from their leagues - let the leagues kick 'em out. !4 PL clubs are going to have a meeting - that's a two thirds majority which constitutionally can change PL rules, I think. Would be great if they voted the six greedy buggers out, and then leave us with decent domestic competition.

TB’s vision of a top ten club comes quicker than expected with only 14 teams

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here