Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby County facing potential 21-point deduction

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Tell that to Peterborough, nudged out of 6th spot by a calculator (they'd also dry-humped Wycombe 4-0 just a few weeks prior, and had taken 4 points off them overall that season).

Derby deserved to go down, Wycombe hadn't deserved to go up is how I view it.

How would you have done it?

The only other way I could think is have half the league in some sort of play off system to go up or down.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But what made Peterborough any more deserving when over the course of the season, they had accumulated fewer points per game? Without looking at results, I'm sure Wycombe could point to results against another promotion rival and say they were more deserving than them, who in turn look at their own results against Posh having spanked them. That's the whole point of a league isn't it? That we don't take isolated results as meaningful on their own.

I'm really not sure why you describe Wycombe's promotion as a travesty as opposed to fortunate.

They still won through the playoffs so perhaps travesty is too harsh a word. 'Richly benefited from the EFLs decision' perhaps better suits. I still think that having received that fortunate benefit, its a bit rich of them to be grizzling about going back down having gleaned just 43 points from 46 games, by putting it all down to Derby's misdemeanours. They also only finished above Sheff Weds thanks to their points deduction. They got promoted via decisions by the EFL, they want to stay up by them as well ? Come on. They had 46 games, and came up short. Deal with it.

How would you have done it?

The only other way I could think is have half the league in some sort of play off system to go up or down.

I was an advocate of simply scrapping the 2019-20 season completely, and starting it all again from scratch with all divisions intact. Primarily because that would have meant that Liverpool didn't win the League, and Leeds wouldn't have been promoted. Which would, I think, have been absolutely JOYOUS. If it was up to me, thats exactly what I'd have done.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
They still won through the playoffs so perhaps travesty is too harsh a word. 'Richly benefited from the EFLs decision' perhaps better suits. I still think that having received that fortunate benefit, its a bit rich of them to be grizzling about going back down having gleaned just 43 points from 46 games, by putting it all down to Derby's misdemeanours. They also only finished above Sheff Weds thanks to their points deduction. They got promoted via decisions by the EFL, they want to stay up by them as well ? Come on. They had 46 games, and came up short. Deal with it.

I was an advocate of simply scrapping the 2019-20 season completely, and starting it all again from scratch with all divisions intact. Primarily because that would have meant that Liverpool didn't win the League, and Leeds wouldn't have been promoted. Which would, I think, have been absolutely JOYOUS. If it was up to me, thats exactly what I'd have done.

I think that is an outcome we could have all gotten behind.

But given the clubs needed the money, it just was not going to happen.

Derby were doped up for those 46 games, who knows what would have happened if they couldnt sign the players they had - or had to sell some

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Can anybody explain how administration works. Do they sell for what they can get and settle all debts out of proceeds and pay Morris any residue. What happens to ground that Morris owns

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Can anybody explain how administration works. Do they sell for what they can get and settle all debts out of proceeds and pay Morris any residue. What happens to ground that Morris owns

There are quite a few Palace fans here and they are probably best placed to go through the intricacies

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
It was a very dull performance.

I remain alive. If i had listened whilst crossing a bridge that i wasn't that far from, the outcome may have been splash-splatteringly different.
I'll listen again as bedtime approaches, but with all sharp objects, and my pet scorpion, Steve, out of my reach.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

In simple terms, the most likely outcome for the heavily insolvent company is that Michael Dell’s company as a lender with security will get their money from Derby. They have first call.

The administrator’s charges will be astonishing, £100’s per hour even for unqualified staff for example. All the way back to the early 90’s recession I know through professional experience that the principals are millionaires (even in the Brighton area).

We could work down the pecking order of preferential creditors etc, but that would be pointless in Derby’s case.

HMRC (us), St John’s Ambulance, Richard Keogh who’s owed substantial damages from his court case, suppliers including small local traders will all never see a penny.

If it’s any comfort I doubt Mel Morris will get a penny back either.

Last edited:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
In simple terms, the most likely outcome for a heavily insolvent company is that Michael Dell’s company as a lender with security will get their money from Derby. They have first call.

The administrator’s charges will be astonishing, £100’s per hour even for unqualified staff for example. All the way back to the early 90’s recession I know through professional experience that the principals are millionaires (even in the Brighton area).

We could work down the pecking order of preferential creditors etc, but that would be pointless in Derby’s case.

HMRC (us), St John’s Ambulance, Richard Keogh who’s owed substantial damages from his court case, suppliers including small local traders will all never see a penny.

If it’s any comfort I doubt Mel Morris will get a penny back either.
Thanks Morris will be ok as he owns ground. Not nice for new owner to have to pay rent to Morris

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Thanks Morris will be ok as he owns ground. Not nice for new owner to have to pay rent to Morris

It is a peppercorn rent though I think

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It was a very dull performance.

It was a stellar performance.

Last night I went to sleep before your appearance.
I woke this morning and carried on listening from the last bit I heard.

Then you turned up and I was fast asleep again in a matter of moments.

#LayInTastic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here