Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dementia Question

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If a player, approaching 80, who played over 400 games for one club in the 1960’s and 70’s now has serious dementia issues, should it be classed as a ‘work place injury’?

And who should be responsible for compensation, the specific club or the PFA?

I know this question probably will annoy some and draw the usual toxic replies but it is a subject very close to my heart.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This has been covered pretty extensively in the press the last few years. Dawn Astle campaign will know the ins / outs of it - PFA should be doing more. Useless under Taylor and a bit better under Malongo. https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2022/feb/02/dawn-astle-dedicated-pfa-dementia-department

Most of what I have heard actually the messaging has been they don’t want retrospective action as no one knew any better at the time and proving definitely how or why an 80 year old has dementia will be impossible. But it’s why they are bringing in measures such as no heading at younger ages, limiting the amount of headers in training at PL / EFL clubs - despite what gurning fans think about it ‘ruining the game’

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's possible heading a ball caused dementia but plenty of 80 year olds who have never headed a ball have dementia. I hate this US inspired blame culture

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
My mother had dementia and it is a terrible terrible thing, both for the sufferer and those close to them. Its impossible to overstate the effects, anything that may reduce the likelihood of getting dementia should be explored, and if that means limiting certain aspects of sport so be it. Amateur boxers now wear head gear for example, cricketrs helmets, cyclist helmets etc

It should be remembered though that its not always a case of cause= effect. That an aging ex footballer has dementia does not necessarily mean football was the cause, as has been said above, dementia affects a huge number of people who have had no repeated head trauma. I dont think therefore its reasonable to hold anyone to blame for an 80 year old getting dementia due to possibly heading a ball 40 plus years ago when there was zero understanding about it

There is rightly a big debate about heading the ball, especially youngsters and a huge amount of research needs to be done. One thing I havent read much about is the fact that those now suffering from dementia that has possibly been caused by repeated heading, were using very different balls than now. Thick heavy leather often waterlogged balls are a very different thing than the comparatively lightweight balls of today.

I think its right to limit heading for youngsters at least until much more is known about the effects of it, but I cant see how "blame" can be assigned 40-50 or more years later for a condition that affects millions of people who have never gone near a football

Certainly if the PFA or football authorities have benevolent charities or schemes then thats an avenue to be explored for ongoing assistance, but that should be the same for all players in any difficulty regardless of a specific diagnosis

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are over 100 different forms of dementia including Alzheimer’s, Picks disease, Early Onset dementia, vascular dementia, after effects of a stroke, etc etc.
It would need a medical opinion, and proven evidence.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If a player, approaching 80, who played over 400 games for one club in the 1960’s and 70’s now has serious dementia issues, should it be classed as a ‘work place injury’?

I know this question probably will annoy some and draw the usual toxic replies but it is a subject very close to my heart.

No, and I think I know your reference point, and my answer is still no.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
really difficult to prove a causal link. studies make a statistical link that action might lead to consequence. other lifestyle factors might also apply, minefield you can probably prove eitherway with the right bias and selection of data.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
There are over 100 different forms of dementia including Alzheimer’s, Picks disease, Early Onset dementia, vascular dementia, after effects of a stroke, etc etc.
It would need a medical opinion, and proven evidence.

Yep! Unfortunatly I only found out this at the begining of the year as my 90 year old mum had a fall and was admitted to hospital. She was diagniosed with Alzeimers. Prior to the fall she was a little bit forgetful and would sometimes get a bit confused, but was genrally OK and looked after herself well. The decline was so fast and dramatic, she never went home again and now being looked after in a nursing home specifically for dementia sufferers.

I found out that dementia is an overall term for declining brain function not a specific disease

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep! Unfortunatly I only found out this at the begining of the year as my 90 year old mum had a fall and was admitted to hospital. She was diagniosed with Alzeimers. Prior to the fall she was a little bit forgetful and would sometimes get a bit confused, but was genrally OK and looked after herself well. The decline was so fast and dramatic, she never went home again and now being looked after in a nursing home specifically for dementia sufferers.

I found out that dementia is an overall term for declining brain function not a specific disease

My ex husband died of Picks Disease, and my mother's dementia was caused by pressure of her skull, on the back of her brain, due to shrinkage, due to osteoporosis.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

I think there are many factors that increase the risk of someone developing dementia such as genetics, lifestyle elements such as whether someone smokes, drinks, what they eat as well physical trauma to the brain. As a result I think it would be very difficult to make the case that even without having a career that involved heading the ball they wouldn't have developed Dementia anyway.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
With the amount of dementia from non sportspeople how is it proved. If you take Lewis Dunk .He has read all about dangers and although wealthy enough makes decision to carry on playing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

It needs to be proven the cause of his dementia.

I can see it from both sides but as many have stated plenty of 80 year olds have dementia.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

A difficult issue. Not yet sure if this sort of thing has been taken to court yet? I’d have thought the employer ( the club) would be primarily responsible, but they would probably blame the rule makers ( the FA). My understanding is that the PFA is essentially the players union, so not directly responsible, but maybe they could have spent more of their member funds on looking after their members instead of the CEO’s salary?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
A difficult issue. Not yet sure if this sort of thing has been taken to court yet? I’d have thought the employer ( the club) would be primarily responsible, but they would probably blame the rule makers ( the FA). My understanding is that the PFA is essentially the players union, so not directly responsible, but maybe they could have spent more of their member funds on looking after their members instead of the CEO’s salary?

At one point the highest paid Union official in the World.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here