Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Decorating - paint peeling from wall

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry we've been here before but I'll be jiggered if I can find the thread and I've already wasted 15 mins on The YouTube.

Albion free weekend = decorating the front room.

When I moved in, 1960's house, I removed the manky carpet.
Going for a wooden floor I also removed the manky skirting board.

This left me with a small ridge of painted wall above where the skirting was.
So first job for prepping the walls was to sand down that ridge.

As per the title I started in a corner and all but peeled x layers of paint straight off the wall which is now down to the original plaster on masonry.

Do I go right round the room?
Do I persist on the stubborn areas where the paint is actually stuck?

What do I do with the bare wall?
Paint sealer and whitewash or just one of the other?

No it's not a 5 minute job.
No I can't pay someone else to do it.
No, this is not Dadnets - but as mine is dead sometimes it's helpful when this place is.

Ta muchly in advance of advice.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The hairline cracks are precisely that, tbh even with @Justice's advise, I think I'd make them more visible by trying to repair them! Esp as they're on a wall that will eventually have a rather bold dark paper.
I did some work on a house which had a lot of hairline cracks. started to fill but realised i was making it worse. If they are hairline then either leave them or let what ever you seal the walls with fill them. having finished the work I did find there was a proprietary product to do that job - but did not follow it up.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I’ve got two boxes of this stuff going free if you need some thick lining paper

Attachments

• 2AFB2791-AAB8-4386-8F4F-2DFBE67CBCFD.jpeg
    2AFB2791-AAB8-4386-8F4F-2DFBE67CBCFD.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • ACAB7B17-A4D2-45A5-BBFB-D4A85C8B5A79.jpeg
    ACAB7B17-A4D2-45A5-BBFB-D4A85C8B5A79.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Grab yourself a small bag of easi fill a bucket and a paint mixer paddle for your drill. Most pro’s use easi fill 60 fills great and sands like a dream. Will make all the imperfections and cracks disappear. Grab some continental filling blades from screwfix or Toolstation about £3 a pack I find I get a much better finish with them than a traditional filling knife.
I bloody love Easyfill…. Sticking up a couple of rooms of coving with it today….

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I’ve got two boxes of this stuff going free if you need some thick lining paper
Put some of that up on our outside wall (inside the wall obviously) about 6 years ago. Worked a treat in thermal insulation. But, but - took it all down a few weeks ago - as I found it impossible to keep stuck flat to the wall, and where it did, the final top paper came loose. Possibly me not using enough paste or something - but I was quite disappointed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Put some of that up on our outside wall (inside the wall obviously) about 6 years ago. Worked a treat in thermal insulation. But, but - took it all down a few weeks ago - as I found it impossible to keep stuck flat to the wall, and where it did, the final top paper came loose. Possibly me not using enough paste or something - but I was quite disappointed.
What adhesive did you use? You definitely can’t use the ‘normal’ stuff ….I ended up using something elsd hence it’s going free (not cheap either 👀)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Well that's the walls stripped, some cracks filled and whitewashed.

Ready to go again tomorrow, at exactly the same point I thought I was at 08:30 this morning.

I f**king hate decorating.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Firstly get yourself a palm sander from any good decorating store or Toolstation, Screwfix. They only cost about £35 - 40. Sand down all the walls, take out the ridges, take off all the lumps and bumps. Fill the walls with any proprietary powder filler. Lightly sand the dry filler with 120 grade sandpaper.
As you are papering the walls, all you need to do is coat the walls with paste the day before you paper and this will make the paper easier to move around the wall when you hang it. This is called 'sizing'. You can buy sizing paste but no need, just ordinary paste will do. I usually use pre-mixed.
If you are happy that the walls are smooth, then you can hang the paper straight on the bare wall. However, lining the walls first can take out some imperfections and it also gives the walls a softer feel and adds to the insulating quality of the walls.

As with any decorating job, spend time on your preparation and the finished job will look much better. Sand all your woodwork down and paint it before you hang your paper.
Avoid water based paint on woodwork- it looks crap.

I did the papering in the Heineken lounge a few years back when we were in the Championship.

Good luck.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here