Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dear England - by Gareth Southgate

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Southgate is an excellent human being, just not a very good football manager.

Not a bad one though.
He got us to a WC Semi, which is more than any other England manager can say, since Bobby Robson was in charge.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Not a bad one though.
He got us to a WC Semi, which is more than any other England manager can say, since Bobby Robson was in charge.

With that group of players and the fixtures we had, it was harder not to.

He's tactically lacking and we're going in to this tournament totally under prepared and without a definitive idea on formation or how we're going to play despite having had 5 years in the job and an incredibly talented group of players. That's really poor.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but I really can't see us going far in this tournament with him in charge despite having a squad containing extraordinary talents - luckily most of them are young though and will hopefully come good in future tournaments under a more capable manager.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

He's tactically lacking and we're going in to this tournament totally under prepared and without a definitive idea on formation or how we're going to play despite having had 5 years in the job and an incredibly talented group of players. That's really poor.

I desperately hope I'm wrong but I really can't see us going far in this tournament with him in charge despite having a squad containing extraordinary talents - luckily most of them are young though and will hopefully come good in future tournaments under a more capable manager.

I’m not saying he is a great manager but relative to other England managers he has done well.
Hodgson stinking out Brazil in 2014 the losing to Iceland, Sven repeatedly failing to get the best out of the the best generation i can remember, Mclaren euro 2008 debacle, Capello not doing much apart from upsetting people ,....there are a lot of underachieving England managers in the past 20 years .
You say we have a strong squad, but I would say it is strong in part. Going forward, sure. There is not much quality in the heart of the defence and the goalkeeper positions though. Maybe Dunk should be there, but he’s hardly Rio Ferdinand.
I think you could well be proved right on Southgate but it’s premature to write him off.

Last edited:

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

Again, who would you have instead? Who would take the job.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Again, who would you have instead? Who would take the job.

That’s the problem. English coaches, very slim pickings. Hate to say it, but I’ve thought for a while GP will be looked at as a future England boss.

I wouldn’t be opposed to a foreign appointment though.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Inspiring stuff.

Bit disappointed he didn’t reference flasks and bottle tops but hey!

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
well I for one loved reading that and am now even more excited.

I have my wallchart (at home and at work) I have a spreadsheet and a date in the pub on Sunday.

I appreciate it will all come crashing down to earth after a miserable set of results and another 4 years of hurt but this time?? can it be?? .....

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Are you saying that a poster thinks it's a good idea to pretend to be a racist/fascist/nativist/whatever-term-deemed-most-appropriate?

Well, I guess you would need to interrogate the individual concerned; all I can tell you is that PPF (with a capital P for Pink and F for Fairy) is the "fake" version of that account.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Love the man, not convinced he's tactically smart enough.

His writing and outlook on life shows the quality of his education at Hazelwick school in the Three Bridges area of Crawley, a largeish comprehensive, where the head of English was my friend Neil McGregor, a wise and humane gentleman.

His tactical knowledge betrays his football upbringing at Crystal Palace football club in Croydon. Enough said.

BTW, Steven Gerrard for England manager.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Well, I guess you would need to interrogate the individual concerned; all I can tell you is that PPF (with a capital P for Pink and F for Fairy) is the "fake" version of that account.

And there's also one with a capital Pink and lower cases for pink and fairy? And that one is a full-blown fascist/racist/whatever, and doesn't think you should repeat/mimic/parody/encourage fascism/racism/whatever like PPF does?
I am left scratching my head about PPF, and can only wonder what he (it must be a he) is trying to achieve. I note the deliberate misspelling in PPF's contribution to this thread.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
His writing and outlook on life shows the quality of his education at Hazelwick school in the Three Bridges area of Crawley, a largeish comprehensive, where the head of English was my friend Neil McGregor, a wise and humane gentleman.

His tactical knowledge betrays his football upbringing at Crystal Palace football club in Croydon. Enough said.

As a Hazelwick alumnus I wholeheartedly agree! By the way, Mr McGregor was my favourite English teacher.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

With Lampard as his No2.

Oh...hang on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here