Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] David Olusoga at The Dome last night

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Anyone else go? The Dome was packed to hear the British / Nigerian historian / TV presenter talk about Empire, Colonialism, race, Brighton and Hove.

Personally, I wasn't surprised or shocked to hear most of what he said as I've watched some of his excellent telly programmes and read his articles. He dodged one interesting question from the Festival Director about he felt about his white mum, but otherwise was eloquent, learned and challenging.

Knowing what an erudite lot (some of) you are, I'd be interested to hear what you thought.

worthingweird

Mar 8, 2023
Anyone else go? The Dome was packed to hear the British / Nigerian historian / TV presenter talk about Empire, Colonialism, race, Brighton and Hove.

Personally, I wasn't surprised or shocked to hear most of what he said as I've watched some of his excellent telly programmes and read his articles. He dodged one interesting question from the Festival Director about he felt about his white mum, but otherwise was eloquent, learned and challenging.

Knowing what an erudite lot (some of) you are, I'd be interested to hear what you thought.
Bored..

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
He has made an important contribution on TV and in writing, to understanding that black people have always been an integral part of British history. His book 'Black and British' was a good read and very popular. However, he literally stitched together and rehashed the masterpiece and Daddy of Black British history 'Staying Power' by the late Peter Fryer and the awesome 'Bury the Chains' by my favourite history writer Adam Hochschild. He also ironed out most of the fantastic black radicals that dominate both originals.
Was that erudite?

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I was there. It was fascinating stuff.

The fact that so many people have no idea - and it's not their fault - about the whitewashing of history is pretty astonishing to be honest.
Fortunately modern school history curriculum is on it, thanks to the defeat of Gove by the history fraternity when he tried to change the National Curriculum for History.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
When we got back, I bequeathed my copy of Eric William's 'From Columbus to Castro' to my 17yo history-loving daughter. I read it while living in the Caribbean a few decades ago and it charts the development of colonialism & the growth and eventual decline of slavery. It kind of sets out the background to a lot of what Olusoga talks about. She was well impressed with him telling a compelling bit of history in an accessible way.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Sounds like a quality evening. Shame I missed it. Was it full?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here