Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] David Bowie

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Up until 5 years ago Bowie to me had always been a singles man - I'd never bought one of his albums in my 47 years, although I had taped Let's Dance off a mate.

Then Bowie died having just released his final album and that got me interested. That time conincided with me working late churning out Tax Returns before the 31 January deadline. I listened to Low - it was not what I expected, far better indeed. Then Station to Station and Heroes. I now love that Berlin period.

Just recently I've started listening to his early 70s stuff - Hunky Dory is an incredible piece of work.

I watched most of last night's TV output with great interest. What gets me is how influential he was. You can hear so many artists clearly inspired by his riffs, lyrics and looks - Blur, Suede, The Killers, Gary Numan, New Romantics - the list goes on.

I would say he's arguably as influential as any British artist there's ever been and his back catalogue is rich in depth, style and content. An incredible man.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
Another of the few to whom use of the term artistic genius is genuinely justified. I think I’ve watched most of them before but recorded and am now rewatching those on BBC4 last night. What a talent

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
One of the Bowie programmes they did not show last night was one that was made from a musicians point of view.
I think it involved Rick Wakeman, who played with Bowie, he was explaining how complex his music was and then explaining why and then playing a clip of the song so you could hear it for yourself.
To the untrained ear, like mine, I just listen to his great songs but now I listen out for the musicality as well.
It also showed how the backing singers for Young Americans including Luther Vandross struggled to get what Bowie wanted.
Also you rarely saw Bowie play an instrument and sing, apart from a guitar, but he was able to play quite a few other instruments to a very high standard like Piano, Saxaphone and Harmonica.
The man was a genious.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Since these lockdown have started ,I have been listening to all Bowies output again.
Hunky Dory still my favourite, Lodger up there with Ziggy, and a dark horse coming up on the rails, Heathen, a 2002 album that is suberb.

Due to problems sleeping, over the years, I make lists in my head while trying to nod off, I can now name 60 plus Bowie top 50 ( UK charts) singles, and all 24 studio albums.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Up until 5 years ago Bowie to me had always been a singles man - I'd never bought one of his albums in my 47 years, although I had taped Let's Dance off a mate.

Then Bowie died having just released his final album and that got me interested. That time conincided with me working late churning out Tax Returns before the 31 January deadline. I listened to Low - it was not what I expected, far better indeed. Then Station to Station and Heroes. I now love that Berlin period.

Just recently I've started listening to his early 70s stuff - Hunky Dory is an incredible piece of work.

I watched most of last night's TV output with great interest. What gets me is how influential he was. You can hear so many artists clearly inspired by his riffs, lyrics and looks - Blur, Suede, The Killers, Gary Numan, New Romantics - the list goes on.

I would say he's arguably as influential as any British artist there's ever been and his back catalogue is rich in depth, style and content. An incredible man.

Bowie in the 1970s is just an extraordinary quality of output.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Worth adding this thread as well. https://www.northstandchat.com/show...Bowie-1973-76-Brighton-Museum&highlight=Bowie
Saw the exhibition for the second time prior to this lockdown. A must if you a Bowie Fan.
D596BDB4-9CBA-4F82-A787-B89BA43D850F.jpeg

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Really interesting hearing from John Taylor speaking to one of the ladies from the bangles ( the pretty dark one ) saying how much Bowie influenced Duran Duran along with Roxy Music .

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
He was, in my view, the most creative music artist this planet has ever seen so far.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here