Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] David Bowie. Toy

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A ‘new’ album from David Bowie.

We’ll, not exactly new, it was recorded 20 years ago, but it has been released now. It’s a recording of original Bowie songs from 64-71 plus a couple of new tracks. recorded with his band just after his legendary Glastonbury performance. It was meant to be released by EMI but was shelved because of financial restraint s. This led Bowie to leave EMI. On a personal note, the Bowie album recorded after this one, is my favourite latter day Bowie album, Heathen. On the first listen, this sounds very good, and great to have new Bowie music.

https://youtu.be/pSycYtnZcbc

https://youtu.be/LCOSLrHOkvk

https://youtu.be/4uw6Y5lTR_8

https://youtu.be/IXxEfW24juo

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bowie is a bit like De Niro for me.

When he's good he's absolutely brilliant. But he hasn't half done a hell of a lot of SHIT as well.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have.

Uninspiring is the word I'd use.

I’m on my second listen now, there are some very good tracks, Shadow man a particular stand out, and I like the reworking of Conversation piece. Some of the others, I’m not so keen, but, they’re all better than anything on Tonight or Tin Drum. :laugh:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Bowie is a bit like De Niro for me.

When he's good he's absolutely brilliant. But he hasn't half done a hell of a lot of SHIT as well.

I can’t argue with that.
I suppose if you push the boundaries like he did, some of it just won’t work.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I’m on my second listen now, there are some very good tracks, Shadow man a particular stand out, and I like the reworking of Conversation piece. Some of the others, I’m not so keen, but, they’re all better than anything on Tonight or Tin Drum. :laugh:

Music is so subjective.
No right or wrong, just opinions.
I tried it, really did nothing. That said I played a couple of Meg Baird discs and was entranced.
Great musical day.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can’t argue with that.
I suppose if you push the boundaries like he did, some of it just won’t work.

Fair observation, he never stayed inside any kind of 'bracket' did he. In a career of 50-odd years he was constantly re-inventing himself.

Soon after he died I bought a greatest hits CD, and its had some regular outings in the car and a bit of background when I've been WFH. He was great.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Yes, shadow man is decent. But not all that special.

I like Bowie and have lots of his releases (11 CDs - just checked). It would be a shame to have the young people of today distracted by this mediocrity.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I listened to Karma Man and Shadow Man. Karma was total dross. Shadow was OK but it's not exactly Heroes or Life on Mars (or Diamond Dogs or Rock and Roll Suicide)..

Fritz the Cat

Jan 6, 2022
Yeah - pretty much everything he did after the 70s. For me hid biggest talent was picking collaborators. I think his finest album was Hunky Dory and the contribution that Mick Ronson made to that record cannot be over estimated. Not only the majestic guitar playing but also the string arrangements that embellished the songs on the first side. Later of course he worked with Brian Eno on the albums recorded in Berlin - Eno always bring something fresh and exciting to the records he works on. 'Let's Dance' - probably his most commercial success was produced by Nile Rogers [yeah, I know that's from the 80s - but thereafter it was pretty much downhill in terms of creativity and sales].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here