Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Beckham, $150 million, Qatar

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
My late dad, who never voted anything but Labour his entire life used to read the Daily Mail. When, as a youngster, I tackled him about why he was reading the Mail he said "Son, it's always important to keep up with what the opposition are thinking and doing". He had a point!

Oh I can see that to succeed extent yes(my folks get the Daily Mail). I'm not sure if financially support an organisation I had serious issues with though, and I wouldn't trust it in"news"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Oh I can see that to succeed extent yes(my folks get the Daily Mail). I'm not sure if financially support an organisation I had serious issues with though, and I wouldn't trust it in"news"

Plus you only really need to read one edition. I think I may have read two. What was I thinking? :facepalm:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
If I was in Beckham's position of having more money than I could ever possibly spend I could easily turn it down. It's just greed and selling his soul to the highest bidder.

I would love to say I'm surprised. But it's Beckham, so I'm not.

If people were like that then all the billionaires would just sell up and retire! Unless you have inherited or won money most self made rich people will be in the business of making more, which is why they have got to where they are, and its often not to buy more things its because they want to undertake more projects and get involved in more things, the more money they get it simply widens their horizons. I remember hearing an interview with Elon Musk where he said that most of his money was wrapped up in projects and assets so when he wanted to make big purchases or undertake new projects he often had to borrow the money to do it!

I doubt you will find a self made multi-millionaire and certainly not a billionaire who hasn't invested his money in questionable ways or taken money from questionable sources. As for Qatar they are no doubt a horrendous regime however everyone is taking their money including our own UK government, they own a large chuck of Sainsbury's and Heathrow airport, Barclays bank, loads of property over here and in terms of football they own one of the biggest clubs in the world (and are paying Messi's wages). They have also been given the worlds biggest football tournament which will no doubt be sponsored by the worlds biggest corporations and supported by all the football associations, so why would anyone expect a footballer like Beckham to take the moral high ground when everyone else around him is happy to take a slice of the pie?

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
If people were like that then all the billionaires would just sell up and retire! Unless you have inherited or won money most self made rich people will be in the business of making more, which is why they have got to where they are, and its often not to buy more things its because they want to undertake more projects and get involved in more things, the more money they get it simply widens their horizons. I remember hearing an interview with Elon Musk where he said that most of his money was wrapped up in projects and assets so when he wanted to make big purchases or undertake new projects he often had to borrow the money to do it!

I doubt you will find a self made multi-millionaire and certainly not a billionaire who hasn't invested his money in questionable ways or taken money from questionable sources. As for Qatar they are no doubt a horrendous regime however everyone is taking their money including our own UK government, they own a large chuck of Sainsbury's and Heathrow airport, Barclays bank, loads of property over here and in terms of football they own one of the biggest clubs in the world (and are paying Messi's wages). They have also been given the worlds biggest football tournament which will no doubt be sponsored by the worlds biggest corporations and supported by all the football associations, so why would anyone expect a footballer like Beckham to take the moral high ground when everyone else around him is happy to take a slice of the pie?

did anyone expect him to take the moral high ground? he and his wife have always come across as money grubbers

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Because Beckham and his family are obsessed with self publicity. Everything he does is so tightly co-ordinated to manage his profile.

As I said earlier on the thread, I think Beckham has become less relevant as time has gone on. Compared to other footballers both past and present who are working genuinely to make a difference he is looking increasingly out touch with his perception of how his is being viewed by the general public.

This is a great example. The mood music around Qatar has been negative for some time - but his publicity machine has completely missed it.

Maybe his wife needs more money to shore up her failing business, I don’t know. But I can’t believe Beckham either needs the money or could’ve earned it in a more responsible way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because Beckham and his family are obsessed with self publicity. Everything he does is so tightly co-ordinated to manage his profile.

As I said earlier on the thread, I think Beckham has become less relevant as time has gone on.

Quite a good article in The Telegraph about his shift in focus. He is quite obviously becoming less interested in his "image" (as he ages, he's effectively been working as a "model") and more interested now in making cash with investments.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

They're all *****, and we know that. Easy to avoid . . .if you give a shit . . . . Every little helps.

The Beckhams are most definitely in that bracket too

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He's going to be all over the media today I guess, being in Qatar for the F1. So if Sky interview him, what will he say and how will he defend the country paying him all that money to say how good they are?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He's going to be all over the media today I guess, being in Qatar for the F1. So if Sky interview him, what will he say and how will he defend the country paying him all that money to say how good they are?

He's unlikely to say anything even remotely interesting, he's just going to smile and say " You Know " repeatedly.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

Do you think anyone remotely involved with the F1 is going to question Beckham on ethics? They have just given Qatar a 10 year contract to showcase their country with a yearly grand prix! Similar to what they have given Saudi Arabia, a country with an even more questionable human rights record!

Sky is a media partner of the F1 and has a channel dedicated to it!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He's unlikely to say anything even remotely interesting, he's just going to smile and say " You Know " repeatedly.

And let's not forget his evergreen opening gambit, 'As I said earlier'.

On reflection......I have yet to hear one single current member of the England squad state that they will boycott the world cup. Is the labour party urging a boycott? What about Prince William? How about Robbie Savage?

So, if Beckham hadn't been offered and accepted the money, it would have just been someone else. Gary Nevile. Or David Ginola. Or perhaps Gazza?

:shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
And let's not forget his evergreen opening gambit, 'As I said earlier'.

On reflection......I have yet to hear one single current member of the England squad state that they will boycott the world cup. Is the labour party urging a boycott? What about Prince William? How about Robbie Savage?

So, if Beckham hadn't been offered and accepted the money, it would have just been someone else. Gary Nevile. Or David Ginola. Or perhaps Gazza?

:shrug:

The condemnation and criticism will build up the nearer we get to that actual finals, currently the World and certainly the UK has more than enough moral and ethical crisis's to contend with. If its any help, I'm refusing to go there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Lily Savage was going to boycott until he found out he wasn't welcome anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here