Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dave Brubeck RIP

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Take 5 is a classic.

Reminds me of a guy at work who received a phonecall to say his Mum had died. The guy told his manager who told him to "take 5". Sad but true.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
one of the men responsible for me learning about modern jazz ..............thank you Dave
RIP

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Everyone now go and download Time Out, the album which has Take Five on it. It's an absolute masterpiece and will instantly become the coolest thing in your iTunes. By far.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Everyone now go and download Time Out, the album which has Take Five on it. It's an absolute masterpiece and will instantly become the coolest thing in your iTunes. By far.

Do I have to download it if I already have the CD?

Seriously though, it is a superb album of which i would never tire and, being born in 1953, it has been around nearly as long as I have. Timeless.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Do I have to download it if I already have the CD?

Seriously though, it is a superb album of which i would never tire and, being born in 1953, it has been around nearly as long as I have. Timeless.

PS - I've actually got it on vinyl as well - remember then?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Columbia)
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come (Atlantic)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps (Atlantic)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Columbia)
Johnny Hodges and Duke Ellington - Back to Back: Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Play the Blues (Verve)
Milt Jackson and John Coltrane - Bags & Trane (Atlantic)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Columbia)
Art Pepper - Art Pepper + Eleven – Modern Jazz Classics (Contemporary/OJC)
Horace Silver - "Blowin' the Blues Away," Finger Poppin'" (Blue Note)
Cannonball Adderley & John Coltrane - "Quintet in Chicago" (Polygram)

All released in the same year.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
one of the men responsible for me learning about modern jazz ..............thank you Dave
RIP

I think he was also the inspiration for Spyro Gyra-the influence is easy to hear.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
Oh dear! Another one gone to that great gig in the sky.There are very few jazzmen left from the Swing era, from the late thirties, through to the end of the modern jazz era in the late sixties. Dave's song-writing and quartets were more influentual than his piano playing, which I found to be rather laboured. Anyway, we must thank him for some of the most innotive jazz of it's time and also to introduce jazz to a far wider audience.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Dave Brubeck - Time Out (Columbia)
Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come (Atlantic)
John Coltrane - Giant Steps (Atlantic)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (Columbia)
Johnny Hodges and Duke Ellington - Back to Back: Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Play the Blues (Verve)
Milt Jackson and John Coltrane - Bags & Trane (Atlantic)
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um (Columbia)
Art Pepper - Art Pepper + Eleven – Modern Jazz Classics (Contemporary/OJC)
Horace Silver - "Blowin' the Blues Away," Finger Poppin'" (Blue Note)
Cannonball Adderley & John Coltrane - "Quintet in Chicago" (Polygram)

All released in the same year.

been to loads of gigs and concerts in my time but the standout one was John Coltrane at the dome in Brighton when I was about 16

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
RIP DB - Take 5 was an anthem of my earlier days living as a a dude in Central London late 70's early '80's.
Love it.

getz

Jan 15, 2010
I think I was there also. Probably early sixties, I can see in my mind Eric Dolphy and maybe Elvin Jones on drums.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here