Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth’s thoughts on our transfer window

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I agree with the bottom half of your post, Sorry this is a bit long! but I think your top half, ironically, is a bit harsh and another that tries to simplify some genuine concerns into a one size fits all, that those with concerns just want to spend without thinking deeper or wider. It’s simply not true and a bit simplistic.

I take it we all understand the difficulties in the world and we all want to stay in this league? On that much I’d assume is universal agreement.

So here’s the thing, last season, we were staring relegation in the face, on a terrible run, the only club not to have won in 2020 before lockdown, we’ll never know what may have happened without it, but maybe it was a blessing in disguise for our fortunes. We were pretty awful before it and staring down the barrel. Yes we did better after the enforced break, but we still just trundled over the line to safety. Our season was again based on hoping they’d be at least 3 worse teams than us.

Now this summer (for all the obvious financial reasons we all understand) we’ve lost Mooy and his goals, we hope Lallana will replace him and stay injury free, it’s not certain yet, but at least that is like for like.

We’ve lost our second highest ever scorer, who still scored goals last season even though his chances were severely limited, who defended corners well, is the best offensive header of the ball, a great focal point to hold up the ball, we lost our vice captain and a physical midfielder, we’ve lost one of the two best actual defenders in the club on loan.

Now I’d take Biss over Stephens, but I wouldn’t personally think there was anyone better if Biss got injured than Stephens. Defenders is not so bad, but LB/LWB is, Burn is an average LB, he is not a LWB at all, Bernardo is not good enough period (or for arguments sake much worse than March) March a LW is doing very well converted at LWB, but if he gets injured or suspended, there is no like for like decent cover, it’s a weaker player not comfortable as a LWB or a change of system.

Now the obvious, goals.....what wins games and will make or break you. We’ve lost Murray’s defensive and offensive ability, plus his different option in hold up play, we’ve lost a genuine instinctive striker and simply haven’t replaced him with anybody. Zeqiri may be sensational, but it’s also true he may never make it, you simply cannot rely on a former swisss second tier striker being good enough to jump in and hit the ground running. Even good players like Tross and Izzy took months easing into the team. So we are a decent like for like, English league experienced forward down end of.

For Ashworth to say we’re happy with that, and to assume so with just one credible LWB and being a real CF down on last year, I just don’t get? To expect us to fare better when all the others around us last season have strengthened in those keys areas of putting ball in and keeping ball out, is a massive gamble,, nothing less. We have spent good Money this window for future seasons, but not on key areas where we lack depth for this season.

Oh but we have Tross and Ali J? If you bank on what they’ve done before, Tross is reasonable with a few goals, Ali J barely starts a game and seems to be in a Knockaert level somewhere just not quite at PL consistently. You really can’t be banking on those 2 wingers doing what they haven’t yet thus far as credible if Maupay, a number 9 gets injured, or even a rookie like Connolly. They’re just not strikers, and neither have shown they are able yet to that goal scoring degree.

I’m more than happy with our current full strength first team, as I guess most are? I don’t like it that we have no genuine striker option off the bench when NM and AC play, but we are just one or two injuries away from all this PR fluff being shown up for what it is. We have threadbare or no real cover in key areas and it concerns. Lack of goals has relegated many decent teams.

To think if the injuries do come in those areas, Zeqiri will dig us out, or Tross or Ali J will suddenly become CF and do what they haven’t to date and we’ll be just fine, as all around have added quality and depth, is just magical thinking imho.

It really has nothing to do with spending mega millions or dick waving, we all want to be here in 21/22 and it’s a massive gamble as we don’t have like for like player depth. Even Deeney on loan or Welbeck on a free would be welcome as would any player able to actual play LWB well.

No bed wetting, whoever is in the shirt on the TV in this weird season will get 100% support, but squad depth in some areas and relying on luck without insurance is nothing short of a big gamble. Nothing we do or say will change anything, so no point getting upset about it, but my hunch is many of those you think just want to splash the cash without a wider view, they just don’t want to be relegated and see risks beyond wishful thinking. That is different to simplistic thinking of just wanting to buy for the sake of it.

UTA

I would rather have the current squad than tie up wages on Deeney or Welbeck. The squad this season is a step up from last season, that's great to see. I don't doubt the club would love to have another talisman striker, but suspect we can't afford it and therefore are going about things in a different way.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But he’s also at the stage of his career where he should be coming on off the bench. Not playing 38 games from the start trying to keep us up. All squads need a balance of young guns and players more at their peak.

Agreed but he still cost nothing not £25m.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Sorry to be pedantic, and where is the word "some" in the post at [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] replied to, or even your first post..... It doesn't exist and something else simply made up.

You live in a fantasy world. Writing stories and then trying to shoehorn Brighton fans into this make believe narrative you're convinced is true.

I have have a good grasp of reality. That reality was prepared to spend 25 million on Nunez, it also did buy 2 Polish lads for over 10 million. That in itself shows its not zero money available, it's also not a lack of options, its simply that the club are not prepared to buy if a player doesn't fall within the club's own tight acquisition rule book. Even if like for like options are sparse, which in turn could backfire.

You also write as if you have a monopoly on what is allowed or what someone should be allowed to say or express. I find Dwayne tough, but he is allowed to say what he thinks, I don't doubt he is a Brighton fan, and if that doesn't conform with your worldview that doesn't automatically make you right and him wrong. It's a difference of opinion...... Even if he alone wanted Abramovich, he's entitled to that view. But what I don't see others doing is telling them absolutes of what "is clear" of how they think or feel, especially about a club they've supported for decades or the best owner the club has ever had, without whom none of this happens...... It's incredibly patronising.

I obviously voted Potter in with that silly Poll, 2 days ago.

I might vote Out next time......not that I'd want to lose Potter, but at least if he did leave, your stupid absolutes, and patronising narratives might follow him to another set of lifelong fans.

Alladyce IN :D

Does this forum have space for a JourneyMan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Did Almeria officially communicate that Brighton made a £25m bid on Nunez or is this just some rumour people decided to be true?
No. I think there was reasonable confirmation we bid at a lower price than that but then the price started rising rapidly and we were just left with twitter getting carried away.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sorry to be pedantic, and where is the word "some" in the post at [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] replied to, or even your first post..... It doesn't exist and something else simply made up.

DA said pretty much what there is to say.

Not that some cares what TB, PB, DA or GP says, bedwetting hysteria and rage over the lack of investment are going to continue. Was surprised to see Newcastle fans cheer over the Saudi takeover (that never happened) but its very clear it would be the exact same thing here. People dont dare to say it directly but they are clearly not happy with TB's ownership and would much prefer a Chinese, Russian or Arab oligarch to take over. Sad really, but not unexpected. PL corrupts the soul.

Was it the cleanest use of the word "some"? No. But its there.

You are a bad pedant.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yep, minority investors exist of course. To be a minority shareholder, you have to have <50% holding. If the Albion is worth c£250m, then in order to have a <50% stake, the incoming investor would be investing £150m to £250m (depending on negotiation). Is that enough to "guarantee CL football in 3 years"? I doubt it. There are countless examples of people investing a great deal more than £200m and not making CL football at all, let alone within 3 years.

If the aim is CL football within 3 years, then you're probably talking closer to £1Bn - which, of course, means that the investor would have control.

I honestly don't think your premise stacks up.

Agreeing with you, Everton have spent approaching £600m in player fees in recent years (funded by Moshiri and Usmanov), let alone the cost of wages, giving an annual £100m loss in their last accounts.

They’ve been no where near CL football.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
So are you only motivated to do a good job at work as you know there is someone waiting to take your job, or do you do a good job because that is what you are paid to do?

Quite frankly I find this kind of statement, that gets trotted out all too frequently, insulting to the majority of players who do try their hardest, but sometimes come up short...
So you think competition for places is a bad thing then do you? Something most experts/pundits always seem to emphasise as being required at all levels of sport
As for me it’s no longer an issue, I retired 14 years ago but even back then if targets or deliveries were not met then I knew I would not be in the job for long

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
So you think competition for places is a bad thing then do you? Something most experts/pundits always seem to emphasise as being required at all levels of sport
As for me it’s no longer an issue, I retired 14 years ago but even back then if targets or deliveries were not met then I knew I would not be in the job for long

Why do people deliberately misread what is said, at no point did I say competition for places was bad, I said did people really believe that players were only motivated to play well if they thought their place was at risk! That frankly is an insult to hard working players...

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Agreed but he still cost nothing not £25m.

I’m not arguing we need to spend £25M. I am arguing we need another striker. If we could get another good one for free then great. But we don’t seem able to sign another good one with £25m to spend so finding one for free seems unlikely. We have three strikers, of whom one is raw and the other one a complete unknown. We’re short of quality (vs potential) in that area besides Maupay, plain and simple.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The big question is does gully still have a job.

D

Deleted member 2719

I have not read this thread but didn't Ashworth say it all on the first post?

Seems like he has his head screwed on.

Where is the discussion.:shrug:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why do people deliberately misread what is said, at no point did I say competition for places was bad, I said did people really believe that players were only motivated to play well if they thought their place was at risk! That frankly is an insult to hard working players...
People deliberately misread to suit their own agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here