Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclists riding in the dark no lights & wearing black

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not supporting cyclists who do anything of those things but it's just not true to say that if motorist break the law they'll be punished. Take talking on mobiles, something like 80% of motorists admit doing it, yet the number that have been fined is derisory.

In an average day, I know that I'll see drivers go through red lights, drive through no entry signs, park on double yellow lines or on zig-zag lines, talk on mobiles and break the speed limit. Thousands of drivers break the law every day for the same reason that cyclists do - because they're not going to get caught. Yes, lots of cyclist are irresponsible but don't try to pretend that lots of motorists aren't.

Yes, there are irresponsible motorists and, they don't all get caught but, lots DO and are punished by fines and bans. I'm struggling to recall seeing a cyclist pulled over by the police as I drive along or see news of fines or bans in the court report of the local paper.

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
I cycled through central London this evening and saw a number of cyclists with no lights. These crazies are literally dicinng with death. As a cyclist I also can't stand cyclists that flout the rules of the highway code. All they succeed in doing is raising the level of animosity shown by motorists.
On another note I managed to hit a pedestrian by Farringdon today who walked out into the middle of the road and just stood there staring at me as I braked and bounces off him.

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
Probably the same sort of cyclists who brag (and blog) bout going out to 'play' in traffic, like it's some sort of game, then bleat to high heaven when one of them is hurt in an accident. They ride bikes with no brakes then blame drivers for making them have to jump off thier bikes to avoid a collision, when a cyclist with brakes would be able stop. Too many of them are irresponsible for it to be considered isolated cases, there is a growing number of these selfish people, they know it is impossible to deal with them, you can't tax them, or make them pay insurance. look at the cyclist who jumped a red light and filmed the interaction with the policeman who stopped him, yes the copper was a shambles, but the cyclist was intolerable and utterly offensive. As a fraternity, there is a wretched and significant minority who are an affront to decent society.[/QUOTE]

Yeah - just like motorists as earlier thread today!!

Today 11:10#1

Lady Gull

Knobs on the road

On the way back from Maidstone today:-

One van driver with the newspaper spread out across the steering wheel reading whilst travelling about 60 mph

Another idiot swerving around the lane to the left of us and when we passed him he was rolling a fag again travelling about 60 mph at least

I really don't get these people at all and it infuriates me - that is all

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yes, there are irresponsible motorists and, they don't all get caught but, lots DO and are punished by fines and bans. I'm struggling to recall seeing a cyclist pulled over by the police as I drive along or see news of fines or bans in the court report of the local paper.

Maybe because you're not a cyclist and don't notice them. I regularly see cyclists nicked - the pavement in from of Westminster Cathedral is prime hunting ground. I push my bike there because police are regularly waiting there to nab cyclists. The footbridge from the Tate to St Paul's is another prime spot to see cyclists feel the long arm of the law.

Police do lie in wait in Brighton too - I got nicked cycling on a pavement despite my protestations that it was shared use. Got a letter cancelling my fixed penalty two days later as the police twigged as well. I believe they've been more successful in St James's St and the seafront. There was one day last summer when about 30 cyclists were nicked in one day on the seafront - that was reported in the Argus so the local paper does report cycling misdemeanours too.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Maybe because you're not a cyclist and don't notice them. I regularly see cyclists nicked - the pavement in from of Westminster Cathedral is prime hunting ground. I push my bike there because police are regularly waiting there to nab cyclists. The footbridge from the Tate to St Paul's is another prime spot to see cyclists feel the long arm of the law.

Police do lie in wait in Brighton too - I got nicked cycling on a pavement despite my protestations that it was shared use. Got a letter cancelling my fixed penalty two days later as the police twigged as well. I believe they've been more successful in St James's St and the seafront. There was one day last summer when about 30 cyclists were nicked in one day on the seafront - that was reported in the Argus so the local paper does report cycling misdemeanours too.

Excellent news, maybe if this was publicised more often then maybe, just maybe things would improve.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Tax the fuckers
They use the roads too therefore they should pay

"The footbridge from the Tate to St Paul's is another prime spot to see cyclists feel the long arm of the law" - yes of course it is - the clue is in the name as it's a FOOTbridge for pedestrians not arseholes on two wheels !!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Those sorts of cyclists should be shot. But ALL car users in Brighton should be shot. There's nowhere to go, there's nowhere to park, you can walk from one side of town to the other in 25-45 minutes, why would you own a car, what the f*** is wrong with you? As for cyclists getting away with it, hardly - St James's Street has a permanent cyclist nicking copper, but NO-ONE who deals with ***** in cars going the wrong way up one-way streets. In summary: This whole thread is Daily Mail rubbish from people who live in the country getting angry about the city (driving in it, encountering cyclists, homeless, ethnics, pedestrians; whatever they are safe from in the pointless village existence they daily try not to suicide over), same old same old ect...

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
0.jpg

no excuse

not as if you have to attach these 1980s Ever Ready babies to your bike anymore

D

Deleted member 22389

Cyclist and a Driver. I agree I hate it when I see Cyclists without lights, and I hate it when I see them jump the red lights. When I cycle I follow the highway code, therefore nobody can have a go at me. And if anyone does I have the option the put them right.

When I drive I am more aware of cyclists. I think it would be a good idea if Drivers took the roads on their bikes for a couple of days to see what it is like, honestly your opinion will then change towards cyclists and you will see why good law abiding cyclists get pi^^ed off.

And blue'n'white you mentioned about Tax the fuckers and They use the roads too therefore they should pay
I already pay road tax on my car, but would be more than happy to pay for cycle road tax, but these councils must provide more cycle lanes for this. Some roads are bloody dangerous, Arseholes on two wheels, you have only seen the bad cyclists so assume everyone is the same. You can't make the assumption because there are hundreds of thousands of law abiding cyclists, who also own cars. I don't cycle because it saves the planet, I cycle because its cheaper than the car, I get some exercise, and its quicker on lots of occasions.

Last edited by a moderator:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
It almost seems compulsory round here for cyclists to ride without lights.Madness,but the plods seem to do nothing to enforce the law or to get the message through to these idiots.Plenty of 'campaigns' against the slightest infringement by motorists but nothing about the bikers.
Saw 3 lads all riding abreast last night and not one front or rear light between them!

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Did any of them get nicked for not having a bell but shouted "din a ling" at a new father warning him he was going within 10 feet of his new born?

FWIW, in Oxford they have a scheme where, if you get caught with no lights, you can avoid a £30 fine if you buy a set of lights and show the receipt to the police within 7 days...

http://thamesvalley.police.uk/yournh/yournh-tvp-pol-area/yournh-tvp-pol-area-oxon-oxfd/yournh-tvp-pol-area-oxf-newsitem?id=196164

Does this actually get enforced though? I think we have something similar here but I've only ever seen one copper stopping cyclists, and then it was for cycling the wrong way down a one-way street.

I would love to see much more enforcement of the rules around cycling - the idiotic minority give the majority of us a bad name.

Cyclists do need to take responsibility and understand how vulnerable they are. I find it staggering on how many people cycle in dark clothing as this makes them even harder to see by other road users. Poor bike maintenance, incorrect Positioning on the road, riding a bike that is not the correct size, not signaling correctly also contribute to easily avoided accidents. Cycling on the pavement should also be made illegal.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Another cyclist thingy : in my town a lot of money has been spent on providing cycle lanes adjacent to the pavement and off the road.Some cyclists use them,but many - and often those with expensive bikes and Tour de France outfits - ignore them and ride in the traffic,often in clumps thereby blocking the traffic.

So if a cycle path is provided,are cyclists legally bound to use it,and if not,why not ?

Last edited:

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not supporting cyclists who do anything of those things but it's just not true to say that if motorist break the law they'll be punished. Take talking on mobiles, something like 80% of motorists admit doing it, yet the number that have been fined is derisory.

In an average day, I know that I'll see drivers go through red lights, drive through no entry signs, park on double yellow lines or on zig-zag lines, talk on mobiles and break the speed limit. Thousands of drivers break the law every day for the same reason that cyclists do - because they're not going to get caught. Yes, lots of cyclist are irresponsible but don't try to pretend that lots of motorists aren't.

Probably the most balanced post so far. I have lights and have been in too many too-close-to-call near misses with car drivers not paying attention to not have them on me at all times. There are some cyclists who annoy me, and you. Put your hand up if you've ever found yourself swearing at another car driver while driving?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here