Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cyclists better drivers than non-cyclists

scooter1

How soon is now?
As a cyclist, motorcyclist and car driver, I’d hope that my two wheeled experience has made me a more considerate driver. Not having a tonne of steel to protect me has certainly made me more aware of what’s going on around me on the roads, and whether I’m on on/in 2 or 4 wheels I’m always on the look out

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Nope imperial evidence from driving around Brighton try it once and you will see the same and it is getting worse. Sorry but don't go calling me an imbecile when you don't have the evidence to refute my statement.

Maybe they know about lights and they chose to ignore using them but driving through Brighton Preston Drove , Fiveways , Ditching road, Hollingdean Road and Bottom of Bear Road the majority of cyclists I passed did not have lights , some had front lights but no rear lights , a couple had fairly poor reflectors which is NOT a light. If I were riding my bike in teh dark I would make sure I had lights AND a reflective jacket on.

Imperial evidence?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I was certainly a better car driver after I got my motorbike license. In fact when I goy knocked of my bicycle when a motorcyclist came out of a side road and my knee took the full impact, I actually understood why despite being lit up like a Christmas tree he did not see me, because I knew he was looking where he wanted to go, turning right and not straight ahead where I happened to be at the time. Still ducking hurts though.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In reply to the OP, possibly. But motorcyclists and car drivers probably make better cyclists than non drivers.

There are no qualifications required to ride a bicycle on the highways and a significant number of cyclists are patently not aware of a publication called the Highway Code.

I rode my scooter from a Shoreham to Brighton Uni and back on Friday, central Brighton is a f*cking nightmare, cyclists all over the road, Pedestrians clearly want to die as well, suicidally strolling through moving cars.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
A lot of desperate need to belittle one group or the other here. Let's all split into 'holier than thou' factions. We have our fair share of idiots some who drive, some who don't. Some even ride bikes :D

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As good a place as any.

If the timeline is correct New York went Car Free yesterday:-

[tweet]1200886792855138308[/tweet]

Although it would never work here, New York isn't a tourist destination, unlike Brighton! :lolol:

D

Deleted member 2719

I saw a cyclist on the outskirts of Chi at 5.30pm no lights and wearing completely black head to toe, you couldn't even see their face. I feel sorry for the poor innocent driver that kills someone like this as they will have to live with it, even know they are basically invisible.

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Nope, I cycle and drive broadly the same miles each year. I'm hopeless as a driver compared to 15 years ago as I just don't drive enough.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Have to agree, I was a cyclist for many years and progressed to motor cycles.
You have to have eyes everywhere to survive.
It gives you much better road sense where driving a car and makes you more perceptive.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Oops I made a spelling mistake, yes I meant to type Empirical. So you think everyone who mixes their words up at times is an imbecile , REALLY you might want to re-think that mr f*cking clever person.

As regards bike hating you got that one wrong, what I don't like is people who ride bikes through red lights or don't have lights when dark.

Racist.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'Bikes will never work here because it's too windy':-

[tweet]1093297261604265985[/tweet]

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I saw a cyclist on the outskirts of Chi at 5.30pm no lights and wearing completely black head to toe, you couldn't even see their face. I feel sorry for the poor innocent driver that kills someone like this as they will have to live with it, even know they are basically invisible.

Is that not equally true of drivers I see on their phones that might have to live with wiping out an entire family for not paying attention, or cars without valid MOTs etc. etc.

Your point isn't about cycling, it's about idiots.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here