Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Cycle lanes - good for the environment, congestion, health and the economy

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
With regards to Old Shoreham Road's cycle lane, I think it's a good idea but it's badly designed at this stage. Olive Road has needed a redesign for quite a while. I think the junction could do with a set of traffic lights to enable a right turn onto Old Shoreham Road. Also, heading west, there needs to be a rethink about the junction with Hangleton Road and Boundary Road. Personally, I think the cycle lane should route down one of the closed roads and then the road becomes two lanes again, with the right turn lane as well.

I think you have a few valid points there.

As regards to said lane I did have a chuckle to myself on my way home Thursday evening....despite the wide cycle lane ...80% of the cyclists chose the pavement :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Wow this has taken a long time to realise.

Cycling into Brighton, from the King Alfred.

Where the paths diverge, cyclists north of the greensward pedestrians south, why the hell is the northern path split again between cyclists and pedestrians?

There's a huge, wide, promenade 20 yards away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This tweet template is normally the preserve of our American cousins.
It's sad to see a UK number plate.

[tweet]1288078858856599552[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And having cycled to and around Brighton today it's almost criminal, and certainly negligent, that Brighton doesn't looked like this now.
Hasn't looked like this for the best part of 20 years.
and still won't look like this in 20 years time:-

Brighton.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know you all know this already but tough poop I'm going through it again.

Upon our arrival in Brighton today our journey around town was thus:-

- Walked up Ship Street from the seafront against a dozen or so white vans. (obviously)
- Walked Dukes Lane. (obviously)
- Walked across Middle Street.
- Walked Dukes St - nice. (obviously)
- Walked from West round to North St, as it wasn't worth riding in the traffic to the junction.
- Down North Street, a bit bus-y, but that's ok, although I doubt the Dutch would think so.
- Left up Bond St - Dodged a Deliveroo moped and another white van in quick succession.
- Right down Church St on the worlds narrowest cycle path, into on coming traffic, all but touching the overcrowded pedestrians.
- Ate Lunch in front of the Dome.
- Walked up Gardeners St (obviously)
- Walked onto North Road
- Walked Queens Road to the train Station.

So we either:-

Walked because we had to.
Walked because it wasn't safe to ride.
Or
Rode feeling unsafe.

Yet had we arrived at Brighton in a white van we could have done as we damn well pleased.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm steering clear of Brighton full stop, until covid goes away, there are Too many people in Shoreham this year!

In the early mid 90's I used to cycle from Shoreham to Moulscombe to work . . . From Portslade, out of the harbour, onto the esplanade all the way to the pier, Wonderful. THere isn't an inch of that ride given the current routing I'd do any more regularly . Horrible route.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm steering clear of Brighton full stop, until covid goes away, there are Too many people in Shoreham this year!

In the early mid 90's I used to cycle from Shoreham to Moulscombe to work . . . From Portslade, out of the harbour, onto the esplanade all the way to the pier, Wonderful. THere isn't an inch of that ride given the current routing I'd do any more regularly . Horrible route.

The problem with the route is where it's bad, it's so unsafe, that you end up grateful for a bit of different coloured tarmac.

Public transport users, cyclist, pedestrians shouldn't be 'settling' for what is essentially cast offs as twice the space is taken up by 1/10th of the people.

Music City Gull

Not Changing This, Bozza
Jun 28, 2020
12 South

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I've never heard of anyone working in Moulsecoomb; were you a mugger? :lolol:

Ha ha no, I wasn't recyclind old washing machines either. believe it or not there was some Engineering manufacturing businesses there back then.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ha ha no, I wasn't recyclind old washing machines either. believe it or not there was some Engineering manufacturing businesses there back then.

I know - it was my joke (my uncle worked at Allen West in Moulsecoomb Way). But the muggings aren't a joke - I was robbed at knifepoint doing my paper round there. I was glad to get a bike and move around the area a bit quicker.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I know - it was my joke (my uncle worked at Allen West in Moulsecoomb Way). But the muggings aren't a joke - I was robbed at knifepoint doing my paper round there. I was glad to get a bike and move around the area a bit quicker.

They were still there when I did my apprenticeship at Sturtevant, just down the hill. I went to the BEvendean at lunch time on a Friday with some colleagues . . .only the once!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
They were still there when I did my apprenticeship at Sturtevant, just down the hill. I went to the BEvendean at lunch time on a Friday with some colleagues . . .only the once!
:lolol:

The Bevendean was always the place to go to buy hooky gear. I remember our video recorder was robbed and my going down to the Bev to see if someone was offering it for sale - no such luck though

All the light industry has gone from Moulsecoomb now - although there was talk of a pharma firm moving into the space where AW was but thatt's gone quiet - perhaps they realised the local herberts would see it as a prime target for break-ins. The Bevy, on the other hand, is a very decent pub now - that's been a complete transformation.

Bit of a diversion from the thread but it's not often I come across someone who's worked in Scoomb

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
:lolol:

The Bevendean was always the place to go to buy hooky gear. I remember our video recorder was robbed and my going down to the Bev to see if someone was offering it for sale - no such luck though

All the light industry has gone from Moulsecoomb now - although there was talk of a pharma firm moving into the space where AW was but thatt's gone quiet - perhaps they realised the local herberts would see it as a prime target for break-ins. The Bevy, on the other hand, is a very decent pub now - that's been a complete transformation.

Bit of a diversion from the thread but it's not often I come across someone who's worked in Scoomb

I was a spotty 17 year old and got a job at Sturts as a trainee draughtsman, Nov 1988, I was over the moon, and am still a mechanical design engineer, earning a living designing and drawing pictures today . . . . Amazingly, despite closing early 1995 we still have a works lunch meet once or twice a year, some of them are in their 80's now. It really was a family type business and employed over 100 people. Set me up with a trade for life, taught be how to be a pragmatic engineer and have morally balanced business attitude. I will be forever grateful to Tony Scales, who was the technical director, and offered me the job.

There were quite a few local guys in the factory, some having served over 30 years.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Theres a good video Chris Boardman did for ITV Cycling on their Twitter page a couple of days ago about commuting by bike, and cycle lanes, but I cant seem to put it on here - well worth a watch.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Theres a good video Chris Boardman did for ITV Cycling on their Twitter page a couple of days ago about commuting by bike, and cycle lanes, but I cant seem to put it on here - well worth a watch.

It's on the other Brighton Seafront cycle lane thread!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here