Crony veterans agree to stay at Wolves...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rochester Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Dickensian Rochester
Press Association
Friday July 11, 2003 12:07 PM

Paul Ince and Dennis Irwin have committed themselves to another season with Wolves - and spelt out their desire to establish the club in the Premiership.

Ince, 35, and 37-year-old Irwin played a major part in helping the Molineux club regain their top flight status via promotion from Nationwide Division One last season.

Now the duo have decided that they can meet the physical demands of the Premier League for another 12 months.

Irwin admitted that he had almost decided to hang up his boots in May, but has had a change of heart after the summer - and after seeing the fixture list for the new season.

Irwin said: "After the play-offs I thought that was it. But I spoke to a lot of people over the summer, and four or five weeks off numbs the mind and you forget how tired you are.

"But I do feel I am fit enough to play another year, and want to go again. It is a heck of a challenge for us, but I am looking forward to it.

Ince, who will remain as club captain, admitted it had been an easier decision for him to have another season in the Black Country.

He said: "When last season came to an end I felt a lot better physically than I had done for the previous two years, so it was not as hard a decision to come back this year. As long as you feel physically right, you want to play as long as you can.

"It was also important to see that the club are making signings. After 19 years to get here it was important for the club to have the best possible chance of staying in this division.

"The last thing you want is to get promotion and then to get relegated, and hopefully there are even more signings to come in."

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
they wont last in the Prem against the big boys! Ince could'nt even handle us :lolol:

4-1...OI! PAUL INCE WE WON 4-1...:clap2:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
CrabtreeBHA said:
they wont last in the Prem against the big boys! Ince could'nt even handle us :lolol:

4-1...OI! PAUL INCE WE WON 4-1...:clap2:

Amazingly that was the only league defeat they had after December

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports