Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Credit card section 75 advice,please.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
I know this is a very strange thing to ask, but here goes.
My middle aged son is a diabetic and two years ago had a just below knee amputation. He has been moved into a ground floor flat. Two weeks ago, due to the diabetes and ignoring infection, had a toe on his other leg removed.

In January this year I purchased a TV for him on my credit card, (for him to hopefully pay me back),delivered to his address.
Being unsteady on his legs at the moment, he has crutches. Last night he phoned to say that he’d fallen into the tv and cracked/smashed the tv screen!
Unlike myself, that has insurance policies for most eventualities, he doesn’t have contents insurance.

Does anyone on here, know whether I have any chance of claiming on section 75 on my credit card? TV was £799, bought roughly six weeks ago.

I have three sons, two are younger, married, own houses, families, in professional jobs and this son, a complete nightmare, always penniless and lurching from one disaster to another!

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Firstly, I’m very sorry to hear of your son’s medical problems, and of the accident with the new TV.

s75 is intended to put the buyer into the same situation with the credit card supplier as with the seller. If the seller should provide a refund but does not, s75 should kick in. I say ‘should’ because credit card companies have little desire to provide the refund and look fir ways to get out of s75 requirements - often, but not always succeeding.

The first test to apply is: is it reasonable to expect the retailer to provide a refund? If so, you may have a s75 claim. In the situation you describe, it is, imo, very clear that it would not be reasonable to expect a refund from the retailer and thus a s75 claim would fail.

As you imply, it’s a contents insurance matter really - which doesn’t help you/him as he has none.

I’m sorry.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I know this is a very strange thing to ask, but here goes.
My middle aged son is a diabetic and two years ago had a just below knee amputation. He has been moved into a ground floor flat. Two weeks ago, due to the diabetes and ignoring infection, had a toe on his other leg removed.

In January this year I purchased a TV for him on my credit card, (for him to hopefully pay me back),delivered to his address.
Being unsteady on his legs at the moment, he has crutches. Last night he phoned to say that he’d fallen into the tv and cracked/smashed the tv screen!
Unlike myself, that has insurance policies for most eventualities, he doesn’t have contents insurance.

Does anyone on here, know whether I have any chance of claiming on section 75 on my credit card? TV was £799, bought roughly six weeks ago.

I have three sons, two are younger, married, own houses, families, in professional jobs and this son, a complete nightmare, always penniless and lurching from one disaster to another!

All of what the other two said, really sorry to hear about your son and good luck with everything.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Why would you mention how successful your two other sons are? It comes across as a bit resentful towards your lad who hasn’t been dealt the best hand in life. Not having a go just how I read your post I might be completely wrong.

Anyway as others have said if only the tv was at your address when the accident occurred..:whistle:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
If only the tv was yours and kept at your house :whistle:

Anyway as others have said if only the tv was at your address when the accident occurred..:whistle:

s75 doesn’t cover accidents, no matter who the owner is. If the TV was faulty on delivery (say, the screen was already smashed when he took it out of the box), then he’d have a claim. But falling over and smashing the screen - nope.

Perhaps the OP has mis-remembered? Perhaps he bought the TV and has only just got round to unboxing it and found the screen is smashed? He’d need to check the conditions of sale about refunds for faulty goods to make sure he was notifying them in time. Of course, if it was delivered and unpacked by the delivery people then maybe he has remembered it correctly after all.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
s75 doesn’t cover accidents, no matter who the owner is. If the TV was faulty on delivery (say, the screen was already smashed when he took it out of the box), then he’d have a claim. But falling over and smashing the screen - nope.

Perhaps the OP has mis-remembered? Perhaps he bought the TV and has only just got round to unboxing it and found the screen is smashed? Of course, if it was delivered and unpacked by the delivery people then maybe he has remembered it correctly after all.

I think the OP stated he has home insurance that covers accidents - hence the replies to it being at ‘his house’.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I think the OP stated he has home insurance that covers accidents - hence the replies to it being at ‘his house’.

Ah yes, of course. I missed that. :facepalm:

Then yes, if the TV was his and at his house, he could claim on his insurance.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Why would you mention how successful your two other sons are? It comes across as a bit resentful towards your lad who hasn’t been dealt the best hand in life. Not having a go just how I read your post I might be completely wrong.

I completely get where you’re coming from, I would probably think the same.
I’ve bought up three boys on my own, always worked, not relied on benefits. The son in question has self induced diabetes from smoking, drug use and obesity. For the past thirty years I have been the bank of Mum and baled him out of trouble more times than I can remember.
I started this thread in the early hours of the morning, when I couldn’t sleep with worry, so maybe I shouldn’t have sounded so resentful.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
Thank you all for your advice. I thought I’d read somewhere about 90 days accidental cover, probably only with posh credit cards like Amex!
I have thought of various scenarios, �� but I don’t want to commit fraud so will just mentally add it to the rest of the money he has ‘borrowed’.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Thank you all for your advice. I thought I’d read somewhere about 90 days accidental cover, probably only with posh credit cards like Amex!
I have thought of various scenarios, �� but I don’t want to commit fraud so will just mentally add it to the rest of the money he has ‘borrowed’.

Maybe so - but I don't think that would be under the s75 cover; it would be under the T&Cs specific to the credit card, and a perk. Your credit card may have such a perk - give them a call?

Not committing fraud is a good idea!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Presuming this happened on Saturday afternoon, then he clearly kicked in his TV in frustration at our total inability to score a goal, and I don’t blame the lad in the slightest.

Rather than claiming on credit cards or home insurance, I’d simply send the bill onto the Albion first team, explaining the situation and asking them to have a whip round for a replacement.

Make sure to include an extra large piggy bank though, as knowing our lot they’d probably go to put a £50 note in the slot and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here