Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] counter attacks

Cordwainer

Jul 30, 2023
Don’t know how we could get anybody one on one with a defender when they pretty much always had at least 5 players behind the ball.
Maybe..Steele seems to go long now and again with a pass and picks out a runner? Just would have been nice to see something different tried!

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Good to see there’s an NSC whipping boy/scape goat. Adam Webster. FFS.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
well he had a terrible game. are you expecting everyone to pretend like it didn’t happen? nothing said has been overly harsh or untrue imo
Thought he was exposed because Milner is no right back, think it’s harsh to put it on one player. Not his best game for sure, but then Antonio will destroy a few centre backs this season. Also from my position, lower north - it looked like Antonio gave him a straight handed shove in the back to win possession that led to the first goal. Opinions innit. I never enjoy one player singled out. But that’s just me.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
I imagine he was caught out somewhat when Webster just didn't bother to do basic defending against Benrahma.
Come on. Yes we love Pervis and Webster did have a shocker. However, as the MOTD pundits pointed out Pervis did switch off and failed to check over his shoulder.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
We were always at risk from counter attacks under Potter, and then he tweaked something and suddenly we weren't. From that point on we were amazing, and this is the thing i miss most about GP as conceding from counter attacks has become our biggest achilles heel once again. I wish i could put my finger on what exactly that thing was, maybe it was as simple as 'moises caicedo'

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
But we had a holding midfielder (or two) against Everton, It could have been 0-5 today. There is an area of deep concern but I have no idea what else we can do…. Let’s see if De Zerbi can suss it.
This was the Everton team. For some reason, Caicedo was utterly useless in that game.

But - it was our system/formation that was found out and smashed by Dyche.
IMG_3245.jpeg

My view of the ‘faults’ for each goal.

Goal 1: Dunk missed challenge. Webster marking space instead of a player. Groß missing. No right back.

Goal 2: Estupinan covering the missing Caicedo. No left back.

Goal 3: Groß slips over. Webster does not cut the ball out. Freak deflected own goal.

Goal 4: March goes down injured. Iwobi now has freedom to run at defence. Caicedo useless in challenge. Enciso not tracking McNeil. Dunk dives in like a lunatic. McNeil sidesteps and scores.

Goal 5: The ball breaks out wide to McNeil. Groß has just not got the pace to get anywhere near him. Dunk has not got the pace to cover.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Of course another way of countering the counter! Pace, at the back that’s the one thing Dunk doesn’t have and he needs that next to him. It’s also hard because Wet Sham wouldn’t press, I mean at all! And we left ourself over exposed in the fullback positions being too high up the pitch, trying to overload.

I’d look at Veltman next to Dunk, not the fastest either but I think he’s more streetwise and has better anticipation than Webster.

Last edited:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
As

Spot on! Aside from Pervis and particularly down the right we have zero pace which was exposed badly today.

We also need to improve our set pieces as corners were woeful today. That's importantly because as nice as our approach play might be you end up trying to thread it through the eye of a needle when they pack the defence and put two on Mitoma.

Having said this their keeper was brilliant and Webster had a mare particularly with the crucial first goal.
Mitoma more often than not had 3/4 on him. They entirely nullified him. He still had a few very classy moments however!

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Come on. Yes we love Pervis and Webster did have a shocker. However, as the MOTD pundits pointed out Pervis did switch off and failed to check over his shoulder.
& also as they said it was a brilliant pass, 1st touch & finish. V Webster giving it away & then an attempted & failed back passed gifting them a goal

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here