Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Council Green again

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Easy, just invite thousands of Students here for a couple of years, give them the vote in a central constituency and then let them wave goodbye to what their vote has left. Many Tories have fled the town.

I’m a proud Brightonian but not proud of how it looks.

Wasn’t it the Tory led council that signed the ludicrously long badly thought out contract that tied us to Veolia for 30 years with no real flexibility in the terms to adjust the service to evolving needs?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I think a lot of students actually vote Labour rather than Green. Going more on the parliamentary vote here, but I'd say a fair chunk of our student population live in Kemp Town (Labour) rather than Pav (Green).

At the time of the last election I noticed that a lot of the "vote Green" posters were in fairly well healed areas where young professionals and young families are more likely to live than students. I'd say this demographic are probably more likely to vote full stop than students to be honest (how many students vote in a local election, seriously?), and then you have a lot of students voting in their "home" constituencies.

So it's not really a student thing- this is working families...paying tax and contributing to the local economy

interesting here, that the posters who seem to have an issue with this act of democracy are the same ones who believe that a one off vote in 2016 is the most important thing that's happened in the world, ever and is the only example of democracy that should be enacted. Make your minds up

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Wasn’t it the Tory led council that signed the ludicrously long badly thought out contract that tied us to Veolia for 30 years with no real flexibility in the terms to adjust the service to evolving needs?

people act that Brighton & Hove has been some sort of utopia with a world beating council APART FROM a period between 2010 and 2015 where we had a (MINORITY) Green council. The city has apparently been incredibly well run apart from that period

which is, of course, bollox

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think a lot of students actually vote Labour rather than Green. Going more on the parliamentary vote here, but I'd say a fair chunk of our student population live in Kemp Town (Labour) rather than Pav (Green).

At the time of the last election I noticed that a lot of the "vote Green" posters were in fairly well healed areas where young professionals and young families are more likely to live than students. I'd say this demographic are probably more likely to vote full stop than students to be honest (how many students vote in a local election, seriously?), and then you have a lot of students voting in their "home" constituencies.

So it's not really a student thing- this is working families...paying tax and contributing to the local economy

interesting here, that the posters who seem to have an issue with this act of democracy are the same ones who believe that a one off vote in 2016 is the most important thing that's happened in the world, ever and is the only example of democracy that should be enacted. Make your minds up

Political activists talking to educated students about real global issues = bad democracy

The Sun and Facebook targetting Gammons with lies about immigration = good democracy.

Welcome to the 20s.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

This contract is a disgrace. Dreadful 'service' and, as you point out, we're tied into it for a generation. With a bit of luck, there won't be so much clamour for such contracts into the future.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Thanks, anti semite berks.
Thank you so ****ing much...

A bit harsh. It's the witch hunt that is the problem and people with little brain who equate being anti-Israel with being anti-Jew. One of the councillors has resigned because she was photographed holding a sign saying South Africa was a racist and apartheid state and so is Israel. She is correct. Unfortunately too many people think that is an anti-semite statement when it isn't.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003

It was the Greens that slashed some binmen's pay thus leading to industrial action that meant rubbish went uncollected for weeks.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
people act that Brighton & Hove has been some sort of utopia with a world beating council APART FROM a period between 2010 and 2015 where we had a (MINORITY) Green council. The city has apparently been incredibly well run apart from that period

which is, of course, bollox

Agreed. It's just it was even worse run under the Green (minority) council. Let me remind you of the wonderful Mr & Mrs Kitcat :)wanker: & :wanker:) and the even more wonderful Ben Duncan ( :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:).

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Agreed. It's just it was even worse run under the Green (minority) council. Let me remind you of the wonderful Mr & Mrs Kitcat :)wanker: & :wanker:) and the even more wonderful Ben Duncan ( :wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker::wanker:).

it also coincided with a monumental slashing of the council budget due to cuts from central government.....

....for balance

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
A bit harsh. It's the witch hunt that is the problem and people with little brain who equate being anti-Israel with being anti-Jew. One of the councillors has resigned because she was photographed holding a sign saying South Africa was a racist and apartheid state and so is Israel. She is correct. Unfortunately too many people think that is an anti-semite statement when it isn't.

So EHRC are investigating a "witch hunt"?
Seriously?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
So EHRC are investigating a "witch hunt"?
Seriously?

There will be people that are guilty of being an anti-semite - the problem is that people who are critical of Israel ( and rightly so ) are being lumped into that same bracket - as has one of the Labour Councillors that has resigned. So, yes, a witch hunt because it is targeting those both critical of the Jewish faith AND those that are critical of Israel.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It was the Greens that slashed some binmen's pay thus leading to industrial action that meant rubbish went uncollected for weeks.

They were legally required to set standardised pay, something the previous council failed to do. But I'm sure the Tories/Labour/Lib Dems would have just increased all the other workers' wages even more and paid for it by increasing council tax even more

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
They were legally required to set standardised pay, something the previous council failed to do. But I'm sure the Tories/Labour/Lib Dems would have just increased all the other workers' wages even more and paid for it by increasing council tax even more

Firstly the standardised pay was a ridiculous idea - the idea that a binman has an equivalent job to a teaching assistant is like me saying a pear and a watermelon are similar - typical public sector though.

And yes, rather than reduce the pay of binmen, something THEY fought for, increase the pay of the similar ( :rolleyes: ) roles. As a taxpayer I would have been happy with that.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
Firstly the standardised pay was a ridiculous idea - the idea that a binman has an equivalent job to a teaching assistant is like me saying a pear and a watermelon are similar - typical public sector though.

And yes, rather than reduce the pay of binmen, something THEY fought for, increase the pay of the similar ( :rolleyes: ) roles. As a taxpayer I would have been happy with that.

But standardised pay wasn't the Greens idea but a result of legal case involving Birmingham CC.

And they did increase the pay for some other workers.
The binmen seemed to think it was insane they were going to be paid the same as TAs. I'd imagine the TAs were pretty put out they'd previously been paid much less

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
But standardised pay wasn't the Greens idea but a result of legal case involving Birmingham CC.

And they did increase the pay for some other workers.
The binmen seemed to think it was insane they were going to be paid the same as TAs. I'd imagine the TAs were pretty put out they'd previously been paid much less

And I'd be pretty pissed if I was a binman that had to take a pay cut.

keaton

Nov 18, 2004
I would be to. But part of politics is taking unpopular decisions and having to balance the books.

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Council set to go Green after a week of shock resignations. The council leader will hand over power 'in the interests of democracy and the city'

The current leader of Brighton and Hove City Council, Nancy Platts, has written to her Labour councillors to tell them they are handing over power “in the interests of democracy and the city”.

The Greens became the largest party on the council after two Labour councillors resigned yesterday.

Cllr Platts told her councillors: “Following the meeting yesterday, I approached the Green Group to offer a power sharing arrangement on the Council. The Green Group have rejected a power-sharing arrangement, so I’m writing to you to explain the next steps ahead of our meeting this evening.

https://www.brightonandhovenews.org...d-hands-power-to-greens-in-brighton-and-hove/

Am i correct that the Greens only had one seat?
Our experiences showed the reason why.
Labour have been very smart in not wanting to challenge the Tories at the present time

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here