Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Could be a very big day for RNLI donations

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Thanks for the stats. Do you know, out of the 98% arriving by boat, how many successfully claimed asylum?
This may be a stupid question, but if they are paying a lot of money to traffickers, why not instead pay for a flight and just claim asylum on arrival?

I wouldn't want to necessarily confirm that your question IS stupid, but have you checked the number of direct flights from Syria or Kabul to London recently?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Not so sure I'll be visiting the snooker halls. Staying in Wivenhoe. Any tips, beyond the snooker?

It's not a part of Essex I get across to very frequently - I'm over in the north west of the county. But it has a beautiful coastline over where you are going - quite haunting with huge skies and a quite timeless quality. Not sure what it is you are looking to do, obvs, but a visit to the fresh seafood places on the waterfront on Mersea Island never disappoints. No nonsense lobster, crab, cockles etc - and straight off the little fishing boats that tie-up outside. Pretty rustic surroundings, no ceremony, but a real hidden gem.

Anyway, whatever you do, I hope you have a good visit :)

download (11).jpg

If you prefer your holidays a little more 'action-packed' you could always go into the pubs of Colchester on Friday night and fight with squaddies from 2 Para.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's not a part of Essex I get across to very frequently - I'm over in the north west of the county. But it has a beautiful coastline over where you are going - quite haunting with huge skies and a quite timeless quality. Not sure what it is you are looking to do, obvs, but a visit to the fresh seafood places on the waterfront on Mersea Island never disappoints. No nonsense lobster, crab, cockles etc - and straight off the little fishing boats that tie-up outside. Pretty rustic surroundings, no ceremony, but a real hidden gem.

Anyway, whatever you do, I hope you have a good visit :)

View attachment 139186

If you prefer your holidays a little more 'action-packed' you could always go into the pubs of Colchester on Friday night and fight with squaddies from 2 Para.

Excellent, we'll get involved in that. Also oysters.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here