Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Corvids

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
You’ve gotta love your corvids, some of the most intelligent winged creatures on the planet outside of Herr Tubthumper :p:D. At my folks’ gaff this morning, a crow swooped eagle-like from the sky, deftly plucking a rat from their back garden and was immediately back airborne with the hapless rodent hanging from its beak.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I keep hearing how smart they are, I then I watch a crow screeching at and attacking it's own reflection in the greenhouse, does it every morning, never learns that flying in to glass probably hurts, he's not exactly Bamber Gascoigne is he.......

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I keep hearing how smart they are, I then I watch a crow screeching at and attacking it's own reflection in the greenhouse, does it every morning, never learns that flying in to glass probably hurts, he's not exactly Bamber Gascoigne is he.......

That's welsh crows for yer :wink:

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
Incredible animals, and gutsy too, if you've ever watched them see off raptors. I once watched 3 crows playing mid-air catch with a twig - lovely stuff!

There's a good chance they'll still be on this planet after humans die off.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Well, silly fecker has been fooled by a bit of netting put on the greenhouse :) So it's now shouting at our pickup parked in the field :-( Oh and Pheasants barking away, I'll shoot the barstewards later.

This ^ and a ruddy wren just outside the backdoor sounding like squeaky wheel.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I saw a Jay in my garden recently, I didn’t realise they were so big!

However, there are lots of corvids where I live. I suspect Buzzards and the like (which I’d really like to see more often) keep away for fear of being engulfed in a murder of crows.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Well, silly fecker has been fooled by a bit of netting put on the greenhouse :) So it's now shouting at our pickup parked in the field :-( Oh and Pheasants barking away, I'll shoot the barstewards later.

All intelligent species have idiot outliers. How else can you explain Palace fans?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
After the game at the Dripping Pan on Sunday I was watching them all wait on their various vantage points until the crowd dispersed……then, more or less as a group they descended into the seating and systematically started clearing up all the dropped food. Was like a military operation :D

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
This ^ and a ruddy wren just outside the backdoor sounding like squeaky wheel.

Much as I love garden birds, this time of year they can drive you nuts! Fortunately there are now 2 fewer pheasants in the world.

I saw a Jay in my garden recently, I didn’t realise they were so big!

However, there are lots of corvids where I live. I suspect Buzzards and the like (which I’d really like to see more often) keep away for fear of being engulfed in a murder of crows.

You wait till you hear a Jay, it's not a pleasant song. Yeah, Crows will try to see off Buzzards....

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Saw a crow with multiple white, almost perfectly square, patches on its wings today. Possibly a mutation or age related.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Crows are absolute ********, I've seen them more than once pecking the eyes out of new born lambs.

Not nice.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
CF4BA3D1-02E6-4651-9090-C94C1D361144.jpeg

Jackdaws roosting in the trees behind my house.

It’s like something out of Hitchcocks The Birds, sometimes.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Crows are absolute ********, I've seen them more than once pecking the eyes out of new born lambs.

Not nice.

My dad put rat poison down last week (not something I personally agree with) for an ongoing compost heap rat infestation, one poor rat weaved across the lawn, puking, internal organs failing etc. a crow swooped, got it in its beak and began bashing it against the garden wall and then flew off with it. I imagine both are now brown (bread). Awful all round.

Deano's Right Foot

Jul 5, 2003
Barcombe
View attachment 148699

Jackdaws roosting in the trees behind my house.

It’s like something out of Hitchcocks The Birds, sometimes.

Quite. In our village I saw a cat running around with a Jackdaw that it had caught. It was being attacked by about 20 or 30 swooping Jackdaws until it eventually made it's escape through it's cat-flap. The jackdaws (and some reinforcements) settled on the roof and trees by the house and it looked like they were there to stay until the cat came out again. Don't mess with Jackdaws...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here