Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Consumer rights/claim - Curry’s oven install

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
I’m hoping for some advice as I’m not really sure where to go/look.

My partner bought a new oven in 2020 from Curry’s which was installed by one of their fitters. Last weekend the oven went pop and stopped working with no power.

I went to have a look at it last night thinking maybe the fuse had gone or the circuit board or something to discover that the mains terminal block was completely fried. On further inspection the live cable clamp was missing the clamping nut. Unless it's completely disintegrated (which I can't see happening) I don't believe it's even been there. I think through luck the live cable has been wedged in place allowing the oven to work all this time. Over time it's clearly wiggled free, arcing, melting the block, which is very dangerous!

In my opinion, making sure the cable terminals are secure is the number one priority when fitting and electrical appliance. This feels like a very serious error by their installer that could have resulted in a very serious fire. My partner is now having a nervous breakdown thinking about what could have happened, particularly with her 3 children.

How should we go about raising this with Curry's? Should we be seeking compensation? Also out of duty feel like if this has/could happen to others it could have ended far worse so surely they should have procedures in place to check these things?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7789.jpg
    IMG_7789.jpg
    1,022.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_7790.jpg
    IMG_7790.jpg
    1,023.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_7792.jpg
    IMG_7792.jpg
    884.1 KB · Views: 68

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
The live core has obvious overheating probably caused by high resistance - most obvious cause would be a loose connection as you suggest. I would suggest getting an electrician to have a look and make a report before speaking to currys.

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
The live core has obvious overheating probably caused by high resistance - most obvious cause would be a loose connection as you suggest. I would suggest getting an electrician to have a look and make a report before speaking to currys.

It was definitely loose, the clamp nut (whatever it's called) is completely missing.

clamp.jpg

A little bit like this -

1693512306077.png

Good advice re an electrician. Money is super tight right now so we're reluctant to spend money on it but if it would help the case?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
It was definitely loose, the clamp nut (whatever it's called) is completely missing.

View attachment 165801

A little bit like this -

View attachment 165802

Good advice re an electrician. Money is super tight right now so we're reluctant to spend money on it but if it would help the case?
I am not an electrician but I do work for a DNO on the network side (distribution network operator) so I have a good electrical knowledge, but hopefully a sparks will be along soon to give their input. I would think that any money spent on an independent report should be easily reclaimable.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

A little bit like this -

View attachment 165802

I wouldn’t bother they will refund you for the cooker and install charge, I’m surprised they actually installed it most of the time they look for an excuse not to and ask you to call an electrician and they send you the money back normally around £80 I believe. Say you obviously don’t trust their install service and ask them to send you money to pay your own electrician. Either they have forgotten to tighten the clamp or it’s a product defect the former they will deny and blame it on the product it’s hard to prove the installation wasn’t carried out correctly.
The earth should be properly sleeved not taped for starters they are basically glorified delivery guys sent on a training course. I’ve done loads of installs curry’s didn’t complete over the years they should really drop the service.

Shorehamseagull

Dec 23, 2019
I wouldn’t bother they will refund you for the cooker and install charge, I’m surprised they actually installed it most of the time they look for an excuse not to and ask you to call an electrician and they send you the money back normally around £80 I believe. Say you obviously don’t trust their install service and ask them to send you money to pay your own electrician. Either they have forgotten to tighten the clamp or it’s a product defect the former they will deny and blame it on the product it’s hard to prove the installation wasn’t carried out correctly.
The earth should be properly sleeved not taped for starters they are basically glorified delivery guys sent on a training course. I’ve done loads of installs curry’s didn’t complete over the years they should really drop the service.
Thank you that’s really helpful. I suspected as much, seems crazy as there are pretty major safety implications.

If we could get the oven refunded that would go a good way to getting it working again and making things safe.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Currys are cheap, but as you say - the delivery guys are rarely qualified. Ordered a small freezer for my father-in-law recently - they delivered it to him, but I said don't fit it as I'll do it later (as they charge something ridiculous for 'plugging it in'). Got there a few days later to find it in the garage as requested - but despite there being great big arrows on the box sides saying 'transport and store this way up only' - it was upside down. Had to wait a day for all the stuff to settle inside before using it.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
I am not an electrician but I do work for a DNO on the network side (distribution network operator) so I have a good electrical knowledge, but hopefully a sparks will be along soon to give their input. I would think that any money spent on an independent report should be easily reclaimable.
bad advice, soon as you open the back and tamper with it the warranty is void

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
You won’t get anything out of Curry’s. You’ll be on hold for hours and then they’ll give you the runaround until you just give up or die of old age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here