Votes: 198 70.5%
  • Nah

Votes: 83 29.5%

• Total voters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
If Connolly hadn't wrapped his arms back round Pogbas waiste/legs he'd have got the penalty, the second phase of the challenge clearly shows Connolly pulling pogba down on top of him . . . . . Pogba pulled Conollys shoulder twice.

VAR could, or should, have given a free kick on the edge of the box where the first foul happened.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Got to say (unless I missed it) the lack of pis%ing and moaning from our players and management about the decisions reflects very well on our club.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
VAR is for clear and obvious errors? That wasn't a clear and obvious error, ergo, it should have stood.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
VAR is for clear and obvious errors? That wasn't a clear and obvious error, ergo, it should have stood.

According to the FInance director on Manure PLC it was a clear and obvious error, he saw a potential blip in the share price at that point and called the VAR office.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Not a penalty. Connolly is definitely looking for it, putting his hip in front of the United player who wasnt doing anything besides running along and existing. It was the right call, just like the other time he didnt get a penalty. I hope he learns something from it because it was two wasted opportunities.

So if it's not a penalty, it must be a dive, if so why no yellow card?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

This is my thoughts on it. I see both sides but it has to go as on field call. Refs looking at the monitor makes it not clear and obvious. And Hooper the **** broke the rules - yet nothing will happen!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

The clear and obvious thing is bollocks isn't it! The VAR is getting involved all over the shop when it shouldn't as the original calls were not clearly and/or obviously incorrect.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I literally do not understand the penalty rules. Looking at other games (Leicester for example) the forward can step across the defender and slow down so they get pushed. This seems to work for everyone except Connolly against Man U.

If you could this with the new handball rule it appears that the best way to score in the modern game is to get in the box and either step in front of the defender, slow down and wait for contact or kick the ball at the defender's arm/hand.

I can't believe that this is what has been decided.

I also can't believe that if this is the case then the refs cannot be consistent with it.

I would like to see the decision based on who initiated contact. This would of course mean that Connoly's shout wasn't a pen but it would also mean that another 5 or 6 would also not have been.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
If Connolly hadn't wrapped his arms back round Pogbas waiste/legs he'd have got the penalty, the second phase of the challenge clearly shows Connolly pulling pogba down on top of him . . . . . Pogba pulled Conollys shoulder twice.

VAR could, or should, have given a free kick on the edge of the box where the first foul happened.
I think that was it. The small shirt grab. If it wasn't for that it would have stood. He didn't pull him on to him but did give Hooper and excuse to overrule it (although that in itself was wrong/flouted the rules)

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
As a few others have mentioned it was reversed as Connolly was grabbing Pogba.
In the newspaper report i read yesterday this `penalty` wasn`t even mentioned.

Feb 9, 2020
Penalty/handball situation is getting 'out of hand' as it were.

Have we now seen the start of strikers no longer looking for a shooting opportunity because they know it is easier to get a 'handball' decision and a penalty?

Having seen the penalty decisions that were given for handball over the weekend it is now clear that if the ball strikes a hand or arm in almost any position, either with or without intent, then a penalty will be awarded. The whole ethos of the game has now changed. Guilty before proved innocent. We now have defenders facing up to an on-coming attacker standing there like penguins with their arms tucked right in and hands behind their backs. Totally unnatural position and lacking any real balance whatsoever.

Attacking players now know that aiming a shot deliberately at a defender's arm/hand is more likely to get a result than a genuine attempt on goal.

The beautiful game is lost.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here