Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Competition- Waiting Time At A & E

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hopefully these antibiotics will work, but don't hesitate to go back if you feel discomfort. Don't think of it as being a wuss, because basically you don't want it to turn to sepsis.

Looks like it's turned out the same as you.

The antibiotics haven't worked and I went back today. They have said to come back tomorrow for an operation under GA.

It will need to be dressed each day after that.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The antibiotics haven't worked and I went back today. They have said to come back tomorrow for an operation under GA.

The doctor was surprised about the basic dressing placed on the wound after the previous attempt failed and asked who had done it. 'Oh, green uniform. A & E' she said in a slightly worrying and withering tone !

I am sorry but it's better done properly. Abscesses are nasty things and can cause real problems. All the best for tomorrow and let's hope the Albion cheer you up.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016

The doctor was surprised about the basic dressing placed on the wound after the previous attempt failed and asked who had done it. 'Oh, green uniform. A & E' she said in a slightly worrying and withering tone !

Go for a check-up on the Friday, get booked for a full procedure under general anaesthetic the very next day (a Saturday). Gotta love the NHS :clap2:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I am sorry but it's better done properly. Abscesses are nasty things and can cause real problems. All the best for tomorrow and let's hope the Albion cheer you up.

The alternative thought was that I may well be fast asleep, thus avoiding or having little interest in the Albion as well as missing the inevitable binfest that ensues on NSC !

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Go for a check-up on the Friday, get booked for a full procedure under general anaesthetic the very next day (a Saturday). Gotta love the NHS :clap2:

They would have done it today excepting that I had already eaten. I was rather glad of that as I have a lot of work to clear. Opposite problem really.

But, yes. One of the thoughts that crossed my mind was how we take this for granted.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mine was done the same day. I was sent to A&E by my GP at 10am, admitted to the ward at 10.30 and in theatre at 5pm. It is classed as emergency surgery,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you need GA or can they just do the op while sat in your seat at t'AMEX?

Worth an ask.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
2 Thursday's ago..
15yr old son came in from school saying he'd has a rugby ball thrown in his direction.. in music class..(!) he'd put up hand to stop it hitting his head, but it bent his finger, a bit.. - Dad it hurts, can you see/fix it..

I buffed him off with it's prob just bruised, stop bothering me.. but kept pestering me, so had look.. bit black and very swollen.. I just knew 111 would say go to A+E, but did the call anyway.

Managed to convince him we could go after dinner, and arrived at Kings (SE London) at 8.30.. pretty glad as we shuffled past a very busy adult A+E, but then into a RAMMED minor A+E..about 70 people in there..

Dodging the babies being bright red with sickness, and school girl in uniform puking into cardboard bowl, we checked in, and then stood up until 10.30.. and then had an x-ray.. returned to still stand at reception till 12.30 (4hrs) when i asked 'if it's just bruised, can we go and stop bed blocking others' - 'There are 8 others in front of you, wont be long sir..'

Found a seat at 12.45... no body else had got called till i'd had enough at 2.35 (in fact i'm sure someone new in would have rightly jumped the Q) and so upped and went home.. 6hrs later, no diagnosis..

Friday I went to work less than 100%, Wife gets call at 7.30am from A+E.. 'Where are you?' - Second visit, he has a ring fracture of finger.. :rolleyes:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Do you need GA or can they just do the op while sat in your seat at t'AMEX?

Worth an ask.

They probably could do it at the AMEX. It would save on the need for general anaesthetic. Most of us are pretty comotosed anyway.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The one thing I noticed today was how rammed the wards are. I had to walk through one and there was barely space to move between the patients scattered around in their beds.

I think hospitals are under stress at the moment and it's well down the news.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
The one thing I noticed today was how rammed the wards are. I had to walk through one and there was barely space to move between the patients scattered around in their beds.

I think hospitals are under stress at the moment and it's well down the news.

The great majority of hospitals are close to 100% full. I have seen many articles on this over last few weeks on the news websites that I visit, and many are in 'declared emergency' mode, where they are even needing to turn away blue-light ambulance cases.

In my experience, the easiest way to understand the problem is a (poor) analogy. Imagine a bath, filling with water, and a plug hole at the bottom of the bath. Think of the taps as the stream of patients arriving at the front door. Think of the bath as the capacity (number of beds). Think of the plug hole as the exit / people being discharged.

Once the bath is full [all beds are occupied], you have to turn the taps off [no more people can be admitted]. The only way to admit more people is to pull the plug out [discharge some patients].

If you can not discharge patients (e.g. they are Covid-positive, the local authority has no spare care facilities, the local authority can not afford to pay for at-home care, there are not enough care workers available to provide at-home recovery care, etc, etc) then you can not admit any patients.

This, in my view, is the heart of the problem - it is not difficult to diagnose and find good reason to treat a patient in hospital, but it is not easy to 'get rid' of many of them after medical treatment in a hospital is no longer required. This, then, is often the cause of the issues that get the headlines - "patients waiting for hours on a trolley in a corridor waiting to be admitted", etc, etc. The actual root cause, one step further up the chain, is that the hospital is finding it harder and harder to discharge a patient (safely), to allow those diagnosed as needing care at A&E to be admitted.

Anyway, rant over, this is essentially peripheral to your case, as you have in fact been offered next day care (would have been same day if it had been safe to give you the GA today) - I am pleased that you have been offered the care that you clearly need, and I hope that all goes well for you from this point forward.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here