Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Companies - Taking the Pee with Covid 19

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So La Maison Westdene needs insuring for another year. Been with Halifax for a year and very happy. Got the renewal and it had gone up 25% from last year. Thought it was very steep so went to a price comparison website and found a dozen quotes lower for exactly the same cover. Phoned Halifax to ask why it gone up so much and the answer was "Because of Covid 19 Mr Westdene".

Really ?? How has Covid pushed up insurance prices ( and clearly only for Halifax ! ) ? My house is now occupied 24 hours a day - never was before Covid. Is there more risk of it burning down ?

Anyway, going elsewhere but anyone else with a story about a company or organisation taking the piss over Covid ( B&H Council is guaranteed - because government and local council seem to blame it on all their failings now ! ) ?

You have your answer in your post - house is now occupied 24 hours a day- You are therefore far more likely to have accidents at home, causing damage to your contents and/or house, thereby your are more likely to claim against your insurance.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
You have your answer in your post - house is now occupied 24 hours a day- You are therefore far more likely to have accidents at home, causing damage to your contents and/or house, thereby your are more likely to claim against your insurance.

The flip side must be that if houses are occupied more there will be less burglaries and fires etc. which are the bigger claims?

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
sadly thats little to do with covid, electrical/electronic insurance is a always a rip off and known for return to base, long or failed repairs. anything break with in first year, dont accept anything other than refund or warranty replacement.

Yeah I know. Sad but true. I'm sure he'll learn his lesson.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Paying more out on life assurance policies

Admiral don’t do life cover.

The vast majority of Covid deaths will have been uninsured, on over 50s funeral plans with low sums assured or had huge underwriting extras.

General and health has been where people have tried to claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

How would they have known he was likely to be at hone 24 hours a day?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
So La Maison Westdene needs insuring for another year. Been with Halifax for a year and very happy. Got the renewal and it had gone up 25% from last year. Thought it was very steep so went to a price comparison website and found a dozen quotes lower for exactly the same cover. Phoned Halifax to ask why it gone up so much and the answer was "Because of Covid 19 Mr Westdene".

Really ?? How has Covid pushed up insurance prices ( and clearly only for Halifax ! ) ? My house is now occupied 24 hours a day - never was before Covid. Is there more risk of it burning down ?

Anyway, going elsewhere but anyone else with a story about a company or organisation taking the piss over Covid ( B&H Council is guaranteed - because government and local council seem to blame it on all their failings now ! ) ?

Just had my renewal...Aviva are my insurers..it’s up 10% so they will be getting a call

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
My mate bought a TV from PC World and took out £150 insurance. TV broke and they collected, they have a 14 day repair or replace guarantee in the insurance....long and short is they have had TV for over a month, no repair, no replacement, no loan TV.

He's now spent £400 on yet another TV

Apparently parts are difficult to obtain, but PC World refuse to replace or refund as insurance has a line that says they can ignore this because of "something outside their control"

Suggest he threatens to take them to the Financial Ombudsman service. That usually gets a quick reaction from insurers because they will want to avoid the ombudsman charges which are > £500 win or lose.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Smug Stevie here - seeing the value of taking a 3 year premium fix on my Home Insurance:D

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Had car insurance with company, renewal £50 more, went price comparison website, got same insurance as previously £8 cheaper with same company. Had great pleasure in informing them that I would not be renewing, but will be.

Same with me. Get the renew letter. Massive increase. Check other options. Ring existing supplier. They reduce. Life moves on... every year since 2014.....

Just send me it in the first place.... might change just to stop the agro.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Also, have just quoted you as this is important. When you went on the comparison website did you match the cover questions against your current policy? If you were guessing you could now be over insured, under insured or simply have misrepresented your risk, which will be picked up in any claim.

I agree but I put in the exact details from my renewal notice.

I had a bit of time to kill so I went to the Halifax website to get a quote. I did one by saying I was already a customer and got more or less the same price as they had already quoted. Use a different browser and answer a single question differently - are you a customer already - and unsurprisingly got a price about 25% less. Up pops a Livechat agent asking if I wanted to proceed. I said yes. Then the agent comes back and says but your address shows up as already with us ? Yes - so ? Well I can't offer you that price then ? Why ? Because it's against our rules ? Really ? What about the regulators comments and the super complaint going through the courts that it's wrong to discriminate against a current customer ? Oh, we'll win that. So would you like me to renew your insurance ? Like **** would I you scammers ! *Agent hangs up*

It's a con, a scam and to now blame Covid is morally wrong !

I have an official complaint going through now anyway so I'll see what Lloyds has to say. I've had thousands out of Lloyds over the years through complaining ..... everyone should do it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here