Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Colour photo - Please help me name these Albion players from 1971/72...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
1971-72_v3.jpg

Back row: Ian Goodwin, Willie Irvine, Steve Piper, Brian Powney, Alan Dovey, John Templeman, Alex Sheridan, Kit Napier;

Middle row: Norman Gall, Eddie Spearritt, John Napier, Dave Turner, Alan Duffy, Bert Murray;

Front row: Stuart Henderson, Terry Stanley, Alan Boorn, Peter O'Sullivan.

Hmmm, does look a bit more like Alex Sheridan, doesn't it?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I was thinking along those lines, but then realised I had this photo...

View attachment 39034

The Bournemouth picture is definitely from the home game as we had changed to blue shorts and socks by the time of the return fixture.

Bournemouth did have a green and black away kit that season, as shown in this Aston Villa video (which also has the Villa v Brighton game from Sept 1971):

Aston Villa in the Third Division - YouTube

Lockhead and Graydon were not that bad
whatever happened to Lockhead

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You may have someting there with Sheridan (and Coventry). Somehow not quite convinced it was Senderson. Alex Sheridan was one of sawards 1st signings the previous season. He didn't quite work out but could well have featured in a pre-season friendly.

I still think it's Henderson. And definitely Coventry.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
1971-72_v3.jpg

Back row: Ian Goodwin, Willie Irvine, Steve Piper, Brian Powney, Alan Dovey, John Templeman, Alex Sheridan, Kit Napier;

Middle row: Norman Gall, Eddie Spearritt, John Napier, Dave Turner, Alan Duffy, Bert Murray;

Front row: Stuart Henderson, Terry Stanley, Alan Boorn, Peter O'Sullivan.

Hmmm, does look a bit more like Alex Sheridan, doesn't it?

I didnt realise Brightonian Piper had such a long Albion career. He was a figure in the mid/late 70s under Taylor and Mullery along with Brightonian Tony Towner. (The first Albion team I followed).

el punal

It's Bert Murray with the ball.

bertmurrayv.jpg

Who is it in the background?
Any guesses about who the opposition are?

Thanks.
Norman Gall (far left), Stewart Henderson (middle), looks like a pre-season friendly by the size of the crowd and the weather. Opposition (not Plymouth, they played in plain green) don't know - change strip maybe?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Kit Napier and Kenny Beamish

Thanks. Now I have idea which game this photo comes from!

I got it from a publication called 'Book of Football', a lovely partwork from the early 1970s where you collect an issue every week to form, presumably, an association football encyclopaedia.. I assumed it was the Villa game from March 1972 as the front cover is of Willie Irvine celebrating his famous goal. However, Beamish wore the number 8 from that match to the end of the season.

woody12a

Nov 9, 2006
Norman Gall (far left), Stewart Henderson (middle), looks like a pre-season friendly by the size of the crowd and the weather. Opposition (not Plymouth, they played in plain green) don't know - change strip maybe?

This was a friendly at the Goldstone against Coventry City

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I love the first picture. Mainly as in the background, a couple of fans are sitting on the terraces perhaps enjoying a cigarette. Those were the days.

It's somewhat ironic that we now have campaigns to stand where there are seats, when at poorly attended games in the past one could sit in the standing areas.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Defo Coventry, here's them playing in same strip at Chelsea a few weeks later:

[yt]QH_u2axaGMs[/yt]

Thanks.

So it seems that Coventry, Plymouth and Bournemouth all had the same black and green away kit at that time...

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks. Now I have idea which game this photo comes from!

I got it from a publication called 'Book of Football', a lovely partwork from the early 1970s where you collect an issue every week to form, presumably, an association football encyclopaedia.. I assumed it was the Villa game from March 1972 as the front cover is of Willie Irvine celebrating his famous goal. However, Beamish wore the number 8 from that match to the end of the season.

I picked up a complete set of the Book of Football at an auction in Horsham a while back. 2 things I like, the colour photos from the early 70s, and great hand drawn football kits in colour. Oh, as well as the descriptions of matches, tactics, skills and general anecdotes from a world of football that seems to have been completely changed over the past 40 years.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I picked up a complete set of the Book of Football at an auction in Horsham a while back. 2 things I like, the colour photos from the early 70s, and great hand drawn football kits in colour. Oh, as well as the descriptions of matches, tactics, skills and general anecdotes from a world of football that seems to have been completely changed over the past 40 years.

Hi Phil, if there is any Albion stuff besides that issue with Willie Irvine, Peter O'Sullivan and Kit Napier on the front, please do let me know!

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
In those Villa clips above, the caption is WRONG as it was Div 3.

A great promotion chase with fantastic crowds for games between the top 4.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Based on a price of 50p per game, converting to just under £6 now (I know prices have doubled in real terms at least), I reckon £13.50

7 quid!

11.50p would have got you a nice seat in the West Stand

good value considering the season we had

anyone got pics of Dave Bedford running round the pitch against Hillingdon?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here