Club World Cup

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Does anyone give a shit about this? I think the Brazilians might, but is anyone else fussed?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Mexicans do too

23708_30.jpg

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
If Chelsea get to the final I imagine a couple of people might start giving a shit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Perhaps it means little to Europeans because theoretically most of the best players are at European clubs.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Don't think I've ever watched it. Is it even on the tellybox? I guess the only people that are really bothered about it are the fans of the clubs in it.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Its' another FIFA pile of shit tournament. Trying to please the Japs and the far east, normally always between the South American Champions and the European Chapmions. They also both get a bye to the semi final just in case they fcuk up against the might of some team from the Soloman Islands

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Nobody gives a toss apart from Chelsea, because they're not likely to win much else this season and they can kid themselves that they're the World Champions if they win.

Astonishingly, I think the BBC are covering some of it. I'm not sure I'm entirely thrilled about them spending people's licence fees on that sort of football. Almost as bad as SkySports televising pre-season friendlies.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Most pointless competition for Europeans. Everyone else loves it though. Good prize winnings though for like 2/3 games. "Manchester United in Brazil? I hope they all get bloody diarrhea." On Man Utd opting-out of the FA Cup to play in the World Club Championship. -Brian Clough. Did the 3rd round used to be played in December?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
The South Americans take is serious. Santo's brought thousands last year and apparently Corinthians has brought close to 25k

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Its to increase popularity in Japan, thats about it really. Most teams in it take it seriously - i believe Monterrey and Corinthians both have sizable travelling support out there, so winning it would mean a lot for them.

I suspect most Chelsea fans couldnt give a toss about it - its a nice little thing to have though. Will probably watch the Chelsea game tomorrow morning.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
Another FIFA money making machine. Years ago it used to be a two legged affair between the South American and European champions. Then they deciced to just have a one off game in Japan and eventually a mini tournament and invite the winners from each confederations major competition.

personally think its a stupid time of year to have it. make most teams travel half way round the bloody world just before Christmas. Great idea FIFA! Why don't you hold a World Cup in the middle east at the height of the summer while you're at it? oh wait....

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
There's now a player called Moses and a player called Jesus on the pitch.

Durlston

NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Just seen bits of the match and Chelsea's passing wore down the Mexicans, who looked a poor side. In a year where they've sacked their manager after he won them the Champions League, they could become the best team in the world. Hard to understand the logic. :)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Really hope Chelsea dont win it as they'll be singing about being world champions rather than just european champions. :yawn:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Go against the grain but think its quite important.

Probably bigger on the History / CV than the Europa is these days.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports