Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club stopped a Boxing Day Spurs game

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I know its a tradition of sorts but its long since been parked because of tv schedules, promotion etc. - how many home Boxing Day games have Albion had in the last 15 years ?

Since we've been at The Amex, we've only had two; 2018 was the most recent vs Arsenal and then prior to that was 2014 vs Reading.

I think most of us would like some sort of Boxing Day football, whether it's home or away.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
How many grounds can support a game without relying heavily on people driving? Should modern stadia still be designed to be reliant on car travel?
I saw a YouTube video recently about the largest car parks in the US and the ridiculous amount of prime real estate they use up. The vast majority of them were for sports stadiums and remained largely empty 99% of the time. Modern stadia should be designed to not be accessible by car and provide good public transport links instead.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I saw a YouTube video recently about the largest car parks in the US and the ridiculous amount of prime real estate they use up. The vast majority of them were for sports stadiums and remained largely empty 99% of the time. Modern stadia should be designed to not be accessible by car and provide good public transport links instead.
That’s not going to happen anytime soon, so cars have to be catered for.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
The easiest answer is to not actually have ANY games on Boxing Day - that way players, staff and supporters can spend extra time with their families.
Don’t mind the Boxing Day games, but the 20:00 ko is ridiculous. Many fans (home and away) cba. Why bother when it is on tele, and you can watch at home, and spend valuable time with family? Stadia are therefore nowhere near capacity. Atmos for tv is poorer. Transport on Boxing Day (even at normal ko times) is difficult.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here