Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Club Shop Nike Merchandise fail

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
After the game on Saturday we popped in the shop as my teenage son was keen on getting some training kit. The first thing that hit me me was how busy and buzzing it was in there compared to the last time I went in post match. The next thing that really disturbed me was what an absolute mess in terms of meeting demand with supply.

Not ONE piece of Nike kit that would fit a 13 year old in the whole shop. Person after person asking the poor kids that work there about all various sizes and almost nothing available anywhere. Lots of disappointed customers wanting to hand over cash. A quick look at the online store today and there is almost NOTHING that anyone can buy in the Nike range. We must be losing money hand over fist by not being able to sell goods people desperately want. Is this a Nike issue? Surely the club need to be looking at a supplier that can actually supply? Or is it poor commercial management? If I was Barber I'd be pulling my hair out if he had much! With our profile rising surely we should be looking at retail beyond our direct channels?

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Was back in the UK towards the end of summer and popped into the club shop hoping to pick up a couple of bits. Nothing. Well, loads of replica kit but nothing of anything else and they had no idea when they were getting more. Apparently it just arrives when it arrives, which shocked me a little.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
After the game on Saturday we popped in the shop
And there is this the problem, going into the shop after the game. Given the number of people queuing to get into the ground who were holding the clear plastic bags from the club shop stuffed with items, it would seem that there was probably stock there, but people just cleared the shelfs of the popular items before the game.

Early bird and all that.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
And there is this the problem, going into the shop after the game. Given the number of people queuing to get into the ground who were holding the clear plastic bags from the club shop stuffed with items, it would seem that there was probably stock there, but people just cleared the shelfs of the popular items before the game.

Early bird and all that.
Nope. There's definitely a major stock issue - with kit/training gear, at least. Little available online either. Been like it for months.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
It's a tragic waste of potential income, and surely no better way to cement fan base growth than getting stuff kids can actually wear?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Victims of our own success with this. The better we keep doing the more folks will want to buy the kit but the kit would have been ordered long before the season even started.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
Nope. There's definitely a major stock issue - with kit/training gear, at least. Little available online either. Been like it every season since we've used Nike.

Fixed the last bit for you!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Think we're just in a good moment for the Albion, fans are happy and wanting to show support in the way of purchases, & so demand is outstripping supply which has caught the club shop out on occasion. You'll go back another time and find stock levels are okay. Match day is always going to be like that sometimes.

That said if they know match days are obviously going to be busy they should react by increasing stock accordingly. & I wouldnt mind us moving away from Nike as a supplier.

Get a message to the Fan Advisory Board.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Think we're just in a good moment for the Albion, fans are happy and wanting to show support in the way of purchases, & so demand is outstripping supply which has caught the club shop out on occasion. You'll go back another time and find stock levels are okay. Match day is always going to be like that sometimes.

That said if they know match days are obviously going to be busy they should react by increasing stock accordingly. & I wouldnt mind us moving away from Nike as a supplier.

Get a message to the Fan Advisory Board.
Again, it's NOTHING to do with match days.

Kit has been unavailable in-store or online for MONTHS.

EDIT:

As an aside, it’s been noted before that Albion is one of the very, very few clubs not to discount shirts from spring onwards.

(Presumably to keep perceived value high, and not to lose money – bit of a shame for fans with low disposable income imo, but that’s another story)

I assume this is why the club sometimes/often sells out – because it’s conservative with the amount of stock ordered pre-season.

But the away shirt sold out in October, I think (?), and stock still has been replenished. So I think there are supply issues too.

Either way, the club is losing out on a LOT of potential revenue. Something needs to change.

Last edited:

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Have you contacted the FAB guys?
Nope. My son isn't as fussed about getting a shirt now, and both birthday/christmas have passed (one sale lost).

Also., FAB is a farce and a waste of everyone's time.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Pretty sure the guy in charge of the shop will already be acutely aware of the situation and will have relayed the message upwards
I’m sure the club is well aware, as it was at the start of the season and at Xmas. Lead times are long and sadly the Albion doesn’t have the clout to put pressure on Nike to supply on demand.

Common sense tells you that Feb isn’t a great time to buy kit, when over supply will lead to redundant stock in a month or so.

It’s disappointing but shouldn’t come as a surprise.

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
On a related topic, I can't imagine that Barber hasn't had a professional merchandiser advise on the store layout but it seems pretty poor to me. I suppose that this only matters on a match day when the store is especially busy, but it is so crowded between the displays that it is hard for folks to have a proper browse and shop. Probably it simply needs more square footage. This is one area where we still have a Championship facility, miles off the club shops at Premier League ' big six ' grounds.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Again, it's NOTHING to do with match days.

Kit has been unavailable in-store or online for MONTHS.

EDIT:

As an aside, it’s been noted before that Albion is one of the very, very few clubs not to discount shirts from spring onwards.

(Presumably to keep perceived value high, and not to lose money – bit of a shame for fans with low disposable income imo, but that’s another story)

I assume this is why the club sometimes/often sells out – because it’s conservative with the amount of stock ordered pre-season.

But the away shirt sold out in October, I think (?), and stock still has been replenished. So I think there are supply issues too.

Either way, the club is losing out on a LOT of potential revenue. Something needs to change.

Will add that we did the stadium tour early Jan (Boro away day). looked at stock levels online and pretty much everything was sold out so warned both sons not to get their hopes up. Entered shop after the tour and it was fully stocked in all age ranges across home, away, third and keeper kits. We could have been incredibly lucky but maybe visit a few days before a home game as could be holding some back for matchdays maybe?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here