Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Clough at Forest

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
I can't stop thinking about last night and how incredible that was. To play that team selection and play like we did against a full strength City team who are very possibly currently the best club team in the world was extraordinary. It shows how much the philosophy and coaching of De Zerbi is embedded right through the whole squad, and how good our recruitment is.
I was trying to think of an equivalent in football and the nearest I could come come up with is what Clough did with Forest, turning a mediocre team into winning two European cups and sustaining a philosophy of playing for years. Although they're very different as people in terms of man management, this aspect of them is very similar. Let's hope RDZ stays around to develop his vision in the same way Clough did.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think that's a fair comparison.

Though all neutrals would say who Cloughie did was even more impressive

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was thinking of Clough last night and the miracle he pulled off. But in the era of billionnaire owners I don't think its possible.

Another Leicester for one season maybe. But another Forest no...

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

It might be a fair comparison in about 6years time.
I think we're doing ourselves down if we describe the side as "mediocre" when De Zerbi arrived, we were already a top half PL team. Whereas Forest had been bumbling around the 2nd Division for years when Clough turned up.
I just looked, and after appointing Clough in January 1975, Forest finished the season in 16th place. They finished 8th the following season, so we're ahead of the curve. At this rate we'll win the Anglo-Scottish Cup next year.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
No one will ever match what Cloughie did. He was a one off (and is forgiven for the 8-2 mauling!).

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I doubt we'll ever break the British transfer record though, unlike Forest with Trevor Francis.

It's much more satisfying to watch our progress with gems we've unearthed and polished.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

I suppose that, for the time, this meant the likes of Jane Fonda and/or Farrah Fawcett? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here