Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Climate change to be on schools itinerary.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Well, yes, 'longer', The plan''s great, like Britain to be carbon neutral by 2050, but currently they're still burning it and it's the greatest source of electrical power. Also it's a huge employer. That date may well slip (like ours probably will)

As an aside I wonder if the climate change lessons will praise Margaret Thatcher as a visionary heroine of the Green movement? Single-handedly she closed down all our dreadful coal mines ignoring all the Luddites who wanted to go on digging it out of the ground and burning it. Also she did an immense amount of environmental good by shutting down vast swathes of the steel industry and many other toxic factories, all this in the teeth of fierce opposition from people who weren't as envirionmentally far-sighted as herself.

The 'no longer' was in response to the posters assertion that they are still building coal power stations, they aren't.

Of course every economy has to make allowances to provide power when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, and as they have such rich coal reserves and have had a referendum (tee hee) to close down their nuclear power stations, coal is obvious. Its not the whole story, the new stations they've built in the last decade are "smart" power stations that can vary output in line with renewables contributions.

Thatcher: if she had done it because of climate change then absolutely. But she didn't, she did to screw the people she didn't like, so shes still a bitch. We still had the coal powered stations, we just imported the coal instead

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The 'no longer' was in response to the posters assertion that they are still building coal power stations, they aren't.

Of course every economy has to make allowances to provide power when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine, and as they have such rich coal reserves and have had a referendum (tee hee) to close down their nuclear power stations, coal is obvious. Its not the whole story, the new stations they've built in the last decade are "smart" power stations that can vary output in line with renewables contributions.

Thatcher: if she had done it because of climate change then absolutely. But she didn't, she did to screw the people she didn't like, so shes still a bitch. We still had the coal powered stations, we just imported the coal instead

Yes, having re-read the 'no longer' quote I accept that. I misread it slightly originally. Apologies.

And hopefully you realised that whilst my 'Thatcher: Green Visionary!' paragraph was tongue-in-cheek there is a serious side. From a global perspective it's no good one nation gleefully trumpeting that it's carbon neutral if all it's done is outsource it's pollution-creation to someone else. Someone possibly with way lower standards.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Strange indeed, but probably important for kids to be taught about religion in order to understand why the world is the way it is. Of course I'm not advocating indoctrinating them, just informing them what it's all about.
My religious studies teacher believed the matrix was real and had posters all over the classroom..
The only good thing its given us is the architecture

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here