Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Classic Xmas Singles - What GIVES?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Been pondering this for several minutes and have come to no binding conclusion.

So throwing it open to the audience.

How come all the very best Xmas singles come mainly from very naff, very old acts that even HWT would be ashamed of touting? How come none of these kiddies with 33 billion or whatever social media LIKES/FOLLOWS don't seem to have even attempted a Xmas single? Or if they did, they failed miserably.

Why can't they turn out gorgeous mindless crap like THIS?

I repeat, what GIVES? ???

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Currently knocking on the door of 185m views on Youtube...

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

How come all the very best Xmas singles come mainly from very naff, very old acts that even HWT would be ashamed of touting? How come none of these kiddies with 33 billion or whatever social media LIKES/FOLLOWS don't seem to have even attempted a Xmas single? Or if they did, they failed miserably.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...musical-choice-🎅-🤶&highlight=

Yeah I repeat what gives :lolol:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Leave the Waitresses out of this, as well as the brilliant Christmas Wrapping they released two excellent albums in the 80s in Wasn't Tomorrow Wonderful? and Bruiseology.

Just a couple of tracks from these.

Unfortunately no chance of a reunion as the singer Patty Donahue died from lung cancer in 1996 at the young age of 40.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, cos we'll all be playing that in pubs in clubs and at family gatherings for many years to come :nono:

You asked why social media types "don't seem to have even attempted a Xmas single". I'm pointing out that this one did - and made No.1.

I have no idea what you personally will or won't play at future family gatherings. :shrug:

For the record, Chris de Burgh's A Spaceman Came Travelling has never been played in my household, and wouldn't be anywhere near my list of classic Xmas songs.

Horses for courses and all that.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

In my quieter moments this is something I have often pondered too. I have come to a conclusion (of sorts).

Christmas is a time of NOSTALGIA. Those of us of a certain age, who grew up in the 70's/80's and to an extent the 90's, tend to HARK back (see what I did there ?)to all the old songs and videos that we were seeing and hearing at Christmas back when we were children, when Christmas was at its best. We have no interest in "modern pap" Christmas songs, we like all our old pap that reminds us of when we were young.

This then perpetuates itself, because we then pass on this nostalgia to our own kids, who grow up hearing OUR old songs at Christmas. They adopt them for themselves, and so continues the cycle. I think you can guarantee that pretty much nothing released in the last 10 or 20 years as a Christmas song will gain the annual exposure in another 10/20 years time that all the oldies will still have.

Thats my theory. And I'm sticking to it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
How come none of these kiddies with 33 billion or whatever social media LIKES/FOLLOWS don't seem to have even attempted a Xmas single?

Tom, you want snowy feelgood seasonal family video footage?

You got it.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Right! That's IT [MENTION=325]hart's shirt[/MENTION]! We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together :wave:

Like, ever?

Tom, You Need To Calm Down.

At the risk of causing Bad Blood, I Knew You Were Trouble. :smile:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

This is my standout tune for 2019. Not sure why I haven't really connected with it in other years, but it is just a fantastic tune.

SicilianHungary

Dec 5, 2015
I do my best to avoid the same old Xmas tunes. I got fed up of them years ago.

My favourite alternatives;

And the Pet Shop Boys, of course, do a good Chrimbo tune. Originally recorded in 1997 for the fan club, released as a proper single 10 years ago.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always miss my grandma at Christmas because of those pesky WINIFRED rascals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here