Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins killed when Alec Baldwin fired a prop gun on a movie set

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Blank firers do give out heat, flash and fragments. People often get minor burns on film sets from them. It’s possible that a blank can be prepped wrong or a 1 in a million piece of a dummy bullet can remain in the barrel from a previous shot.
Blanks are essentially modified real bullets, they are packed with cotton or paper rather than metal. It’s all conjecture on my part though but it can happen.
Blank firers are treated exactly like live firers on a film set and this is the reason why.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Reports now saying this was a live round.

I've read a few things on twitter from people in the industry saying Alec might be in some do do for not following safety protocols.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

I've read a few things on twitter from people in the industry saying Alec might be in some do do for not following safety protocols.

I mean it was obviously a live round? How else would someone be dead.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It was a blank round that killed Brandon Lee, though there was something in the barrel that the blank launched when it was fired.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016

In this context "live" means the gun is loaded with a blank bullet, rather than being empty. In that sense the gun is "live" not the bullet in it. Here is an article which goes into some of the detail.

From this report there seems to have been other issues with safety relating to guns on the set and other concerns

It always concerns me that in the USA, police documents, statements given to authorities etc all seem to be public almost as soon as they are made. In this case affidavits are quoted. So the idea of what happened is already being planted with selected official documents seemingly available to all and sundry- if charges are eventually brought preconceived ideas from this "evidence" surely cloud judgment of any potential jury?

https://www.darkhorizons.com/more-details-on-rust-shooting-emerge/

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For him to have been aiming directly at her seems odd. Even if you wanted to to get 'head on' footage of him discharging the gun he wouldn't need to be aiming for her body mass surely...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
For him to have been aiming directly at her seems odd. Even if you wanted to to get 'head on' footage of him discharging the gun he wouldn't need to be aiming for her body mass surely...

I would guess he's aiming towards the camera and she and the director were in line. Apparently the director was standing behind her. It might even have been that she was behind the camera with director behind her. How often do we see a film shot looking down the barrel of a gun.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I would guess he's aiming towards the camera and she and the director were in line. Apparently the director was standing behind her. It might even have been that she was behind the camera with director behind her. How often do we see a film shot looking down the barrel of a gun.

Maybe, but I would have thought for a film set to be safe, that shot would be taken using a remote camera with no-one standing behind it. I find it difficult to believe that a real gun would ever be fired on a film set whilst being pointed directly at someone.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patreon
Oct 20, 2022
Balwin + armorer to be charged with Involuntary Manslaughter

Can’t say I’m surprised it got to this nor would it make me particularly disappointed if he were convicted tbh. Everyone around live guns on film sets need to be more diligent- someone clearly dropped the ball on this one leading to a really tragic accident.

In a Country flooded with handguns, maybe this trial will be yet another stark reminder that in careless or inexperienced hands, handguns are lethal accidents waiting to happen.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here