Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Chelsea vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
May 8, 2018
The conspiracy (if that’s your thing) would Shirley have to be that Pawson deliberately gave a penalty, knowing that Gillet VAR would overrule him thus depriving us of a corner but being forced as per the rules to give Chelsea a drop ball

Bit of a reach innit

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
We never give up & that's one of the things that make us good, our heads never go down anymore.
If VAR had given that penalty for Colwill's smack on the face, I probably would've complained on Chelsea's behalf! Penalty against Milner was a joke.
Such a shame that Sanchez didn't score, as that would've kept me laughing for ages! Buonanotte's goal was amazing the curve he put on it was extraordinary.
What this match has gone to show for me, is that even though we seem to be lacking in players we can still put up a fight.
I don't understand what this 1st half/ 2nd half thing is? It's almost as if we use the 1st half to 'learn' about the opposition? God knows what all the shambles was at the end about whose ball it was. 🤦‍♀️
Yep we lost, I expected us to lose badly, but we lost, while showing big balls. :albion2:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Where is this law? Law 8 refers to drop balls where the ref stops play. As the ball was already out - he didn't 'stop' play?

1701621671863.png

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
So...

If if one of your players appears to be fouled in the box, and a split second later another player is whiped out - both penalties in the refs view, so he blows his whistle and gives the first one. VAR checks it, the first one isn't a penalty, the second is. Result = drop ball for the offending team.

Great rule that.
Haha, that’s a very fair point! Football makes me rules so difficult and so open to interpretation unlike other sports. Just tell us what the rules are and enforce them, it’s so infuriating

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
The conspiracy (if that’s your thing) would Shirley have to be that Pawson deliberately gave a penalty, knowing that Gillet VAR would overrule him thus depriving us of a corner but being forced as per the rules to give Chelsea a drop ball

Bit of a reach innit
Totally, there's no conspiracy or corruption. VAR is used terribly and has the officials as confused as everybody else.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No they wouldn't, not on what's been said here. If he awarded the first one, then that's presumably 'when play stops'?
Only if he over turns the decision

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Where is this law? Law 8 refers to drop balls where the ref stops play. As the ball was already out - he didn't 'stop' play?

View attachment 170723
Regardless of when he blew the whistle and awarded the penalty it is taken that play is stopped at the penalty incident and anything that happened after that is no longer relevant as the ball was no longer in play.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Only if he over turns the decision
Yes - that's the scenario posed by @Triggaaar "If one of your players appears to be fouled in the box, and a split second later another player is wiped out - both penalties in the refs view, so he blows his whistle and gives the first one. VAR checks it, the first one isn't a penalty, the second is. Result = drop ball for the offending team."

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Very disappointed to lose this and let's be honest we lost it ourselves. 2 soft goals given away and although Caicedo should have been sent off too, we can't keep giving these soft goals away. Milner made silly challenge for their pen which again was avoidable.
Sums it up rather well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills