Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cheer up you miserable sods, we are mathematically safe

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hard work for next season starts now (More likely started about 12 months ago). We know what our weaknesses are, scoring, chance creation, passing in the final 3rd. Aim must be to recruit 10-15 more goals while conceding similar or less to this season. Sounds really simple when you put it like that, but creative players ideally with pace please. If we can find those extra goals then 10-14th is not beyond us next season, if we can't then we are looking at more of the same. Defensively we are sound, midfield possibly needs some refreshing and wide players and strikers have been a priority for awhile.

Potter has done very well 1st season IMO. He needs backing in the market now tough though that might be currently.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
This season has been a bit of a revelation to me as a Brighton fan. To take what was essentially Hughton's squad that played very much the Hughton way and change so substantially is very impressive from Potter. Yes, we've added players in Maupay, Webster, Burn, Mooy, Trossard and latterly Lamptey and Mac Allister, but I genuinely think we've integrated them sensibly over the season.

We had signings last season (Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Bernardo, Montoya, Andone, Burn) but it's safe to say none were given the time to develop into the key players the above have by Potter. It would have been easy to drop Webster for the season and go with Duffy, not play Trossard and stick with March, forget Maupay and stick with Murray and do the entire run in with Montoya over Lamptey, but Potter has stuck with those players (occasionally at a cost) and it's paid off long term so far. I have no doubt that going into next season these players will be even better with a full season under their belts, whereas were Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Bernardo, Montoya, Andone or Burn any better or closer to being a regular for completing their first season? I'd argue no (with the exception of Montoya)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
This season has been a bit of a revelation to me as a Brighton fan. To take what was essentially Hughton's squad that played very much the Hughton way and change so substantially is very impressive from Potter. Yes, we've added players in Maupay, Webster, Burn, Mooy, Trossard and latterly Lamptey and Mac Allister, but I genuinely think we've integrated them sensibly over the season.

We had signings last season (Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Bernardo, Montoya, Andone, Burn) but it's safe to say none were given the time to develop into the key players the above have by Potter. It would have been easy to drop Webster for the season and go with Duffy, not play Trossard and stick with March, forget Maupay and stick with Murray and do the entire run in with Montoya over Lamptey, but Potter has stuck with those players (occasionally at a cost) and it's paid off long term so far. I have no doubt that going into next season these players will be even better with a full season under their belts, whereas were Jahanbakhsh, Bissouma, Bernardo, Montoya, Andone or Burn any better or closer to being a regular for completing their first season? I'd argue no (with the exception of Montoya)

Bissouma? ??? No doubt in my mind he's gonna be a regular starter next term.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
We were tipped to go down by most.

At lockdown, we all feared what would come of our tough run in.

Last few games are always about the results, not the performance. Job done.

Real progress with young players, here and on loan.

I would like to see us play to our strengths next season, which means Dunk stays at all costs and we play 3-5-2 a lot of the time. Would like to see Bernardo have a strong start and make left wing back his own. Would also like to see Bissouma and Alzate regular starters as CMs. A new striker, ideally bigger to partner Maupay. Izquierdo fit to come off the bench would be a bonus, but I suspect the conventional winger that he is doesn't gel with Potterball.

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Just to add, Lamptey is a breath of fresh air and a great prospect. But he is still naive defensively. Teams will target him, both in the air and getting in behind, as Saints did for the Ings goal. If we play 3 at the back it will be easier for Webster - or White - to cover him from right CB. Dunk as the central one in a 3 has more chance to read and control our game - and have less running to do as he gets that bit older.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Bissouma? ??? No doubt in my mind he's gonna be a regular starter next term.

That's my point. At the end of last season I don't think he was any nearer a regular starting slot than at the beginning. Hughton never really trusted him. At the end of this season under Potter, I have no doubt he will be because he's been trusted, used wisely, and allowed to make and learn from his mistakes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I would like to see us play to our strengths next season, which means Dunk stays at all costs and we play 3-5-2 a lot of the time. Would like to see Bernardo have a strong start and make left wing back his own. Would also like to see Bissouma and Alzate regular starters as CMs. A new striker, ideally bigger to partner Maupay. Izquierdo fit to come off the bench would be a bonus, but I suspect the conventional winger that he is doesn't gel with Potterball.

I think we can wave bye bye to Bernardo, his face very obviously doesn’t fit just like Ali Js. I like them both :down:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
By all means call me a tosser, but I was from the start of the view that I'd love for us to be 4 points clear of the drop zone with a game to go. If the Arse do the right thing tomorrow, that'll be 7. That'd be fukken ace.

You’re a tosser - well you did request it.
:albion2:
But I agree with your sentiments ...... not nail biting for the final game :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Feet up, zero stress and a watch of the battle to avoid the drop fought out by three teams, two of whom are going to be disappointed. Bring it on, we are safe and playing in the PL next season under a manager whose style excites me.

I do often wonder if some of our fans don’t really appreciate what great times these are for the Albion. The future is also looking like we may go up another level.

Anyway let the relegation battle continue

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think we can wave bye bye to Bernardo, his face very obviously doesn’t fit just like Ali Js. I like them both :down:

Yes I think GP has made an error with Bernardo particularly, but the good news is that perhaps Cochrane will get an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
I imagine most haven’t woken up yet after falling asleep watching that.

The amount of possession looked good however most of it was in our half, i had recorded the match so was able to fast forward on a number of occasions, hardly entertaining

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Izquierdo coming back as a regular and staying fit would be like a new signing and amazing !

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Izquierdo coming back as a regular and staying fit would be like a new signing and amazing !

Though GP doesn’t seem to believe in natural width, generally we play quite narrow, even when Solly starts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Though GP doesn’t seem to believe in natural width, generally we play quite narrow, even when Solly starts.

From what we’ve seen of Izzy he seemed most effective playing on the left side cutting in onto his right foot. I can’t really remember but he played in an out to in manner that might suit GP? (if he ever recovers...)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
From what we’ve seen of Izzy he seemed most effective playing on the left side cutting in onto his right foot. I can’t really remember but he played in an out to in manner that might suit GP? (if he ever recovers...)

If he does come back (long term fit) let’s hope he’s more Danny Ings than Daniel Sturridge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here