Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Changes to added on time 2023/24

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I believed that then I wouldn’t go to games and wouldn’t even follow the sport.
Clearly you didn't go to White Hart Lane last season.
Isn't the truth a bit more nuanced?

Spurs away last season is the worst refereed game I've ever seen and, in the aftermath, led to perfectly reasonable people alleging corruption, to the point where PGMOL had to step in.

However, it was noticeably so bad because normally that's not how it goes.

7dialssouthpaw

Sep 10, 2022
in seriousness, though - you have to accept losing a minute or so for a goal scored or a penalty to be set up - it's a daft change.
Also, I didn't see if the 6-second GK rule was mentioned. That could be extended, say to 15 seconds, but then better enforce and punished by indirect FK.
Similarly, as I've said before, time wasting with throw-ins/FKs should simply be adjudged "unsporting" and punished with a foul throw/IFK to the opposition.

Last edited:

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Isn't the truth a bit more nuanced?

Spurs away last season is the worst refereed game I've ever seen and, in the aftermath, led to perfectly reasonable people alleging corruption, to the point where PGMOL had to step in.

However, it was noticeably so bad because normally that's not how it goes.

Not sure I agree with your conclusion.

Spurs was the extreme example that shone a light on the issue.
It wasn't alone though. There were also 3 terrible decisions favouring Liverpool in the cup game.
That didn't change the result though.

The issue is always there against the top teams.
Refs subconsciously give the benefit to the top teams.

The reason Spurs was so marked, is because the edge, that the top teams get, from the lack of consistency, changed the result.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Southern wondering where all the fans are at Falmer at 16.45 then realising it's only just kicked off the second half

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Lets hope they happen Never thought was any reason why clock should not stop when goal scored or penalty awarded and restarted when play starts

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The issue with time-wasting, is not the lost time.
It is the disruption of the game that is the motivation.

The offenders are seeking the opportunity to reset and organise themselves, and prevent the opposition from building momentum.
This is why I oppose the countdown clock proposals, as it legitimises time-wasting rather than improving the quality of the game.

If the game ever wants to radically overhaul the game, then sinbins for timewasting is the way to go.
Let's see how many times a keeper will take the piss, when he has to sit out the next 5 minutes as a consequence.

Reactions: cjd

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I can see this as an opportunity for bookmakers to tighten up their odds on markets such as both teams to score, correct scores and my favourite - team to win and both sides to score. This is concerning as I have worked as an odds maker, although these were for sports such as snooker and darts. It's bloody difficult when you have to put aside any favouritism towards the nice guys and keep the top, sometimes arrogant players short as there are some very big hitters in the punting world, betting thousands and thousands of pounds each day and making a living out of it.

How the odds shorten if bookies know that there is DEFINITELY going to be at least another ten minutes played on average per football match will be intriguing. As an example, no goalscorer in a game will lengthen on average by a point from 8/1 to 9/1. There is not much fun in having money on nil-nil as you want the game to end as soon as it's just started!

Anybody else been involved in odds making for a bookie? In-running can be a very stressful experience when you have to price up quickly. As a boss said to me once: "Somewhere along the line, you will misjudge momentum and that's when big money goes on. All you have to do is reach agreement in your team quickly (of usually three or four in the office) that are fair but competitive odds".

It all feels that football is changing too much too quickly (with bloody VAR brought in too) which I think is a shame.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
How about Refs start booking players for time-wasting earlier in the game and not waiting till its meaningless.

Fairly sure Forest should have started receiving yellows after about 2 mins when they came to the Amex last season.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
I was incensed by the length of time Arsenal were taking for goal celebrations against us on New Year's eve,
It was so obviously a tactic, deliberately being employed.

I'd never really taken any notice of it before that game.
Same. Prior to that match I had wanted Arsenal to win the league. Loved that they ended up bottling it.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
How about refs being punished for not enforcing the current rules properly? If they are caught turning a blind eye to time wasting they should miss a match, etc. why change the rules to make up for the shortcomings of referees?

But yes, also punish the time wasters early on and red card them for 2nd offence.

Villa at home could be interesting next season with the early leavers in the East Stand missing the entire second half so they can be home for tea at 5.15.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The directive which I hope is enforced more vigorously is the High threshold in terms of contact, which I believe Is designed to stamp out the 'Glenn Murray dive'. You know the one, when a player in possession feels any contact from a player behind, jockeying him, and decides to fall forwards onto the ball, forcing the ref to blow up for a foul.

I understand that all teams do it, but it is nonsense. These guys spend hours in the gym, can run full pelt whilst resisting being shoulder to shoulder with their physical equal without any problems. And yet they expect us to believe that the slightest contact from behind is enough to warrant a yelp of surprise and flatten them.

I love it when a player attempts this cheating manoeuvre, only to be ignored by the ref and left slumped pathetically on all fours as the opposition player makes off with the ball.

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
How about players stop diving about and feigning injury? I don’t see why it’s all on the refs to improve the game when the players could quite easily make a big difference by just bloody behaving.

Reactions: SAC

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here