Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Celebrity - Lovely or Shit

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Shit …. Virginia Wade. Family of mine were leaving a country restaurant in East Sussex, this would’ve been mid 90’s, the place had just closed after lunch. Wade and her entourage arrived, plenty of the belligerent “don’t you know who I am?” After initially saying no, the restaurant gave in and reopened.
My dear old mum went to watch her at Wimbledon in the late-seventies and she came on to court early evening in a real strop as the previous match had overrun by quite some time. Wade was moaning at the umpire, ballboys/girls, her coach, in fact anyone who crossed her path. Sounds like 1977 completely went to her head.

Always loved Sue Barker - had the utmost respect of everyone including especially John McEnroe and Roger Federer. I would love to meet her and she was the ultimate professional in broadcasting. Missed Sue presenting Wimbledon this year - it just wasn't the same without her.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My dear old mum went to watch her at Wimbledon in the late-seventies and she came on to court early evening in a real strop as the previous match had overrun by quite some time. Wade was moaning at the umpire, ballboys/girls, her coach, in fact anyone who crossed her path. Sounds like 1977 completely went to her head.

Always loved Sue Barker - had the utmost respect of everyone including especially John McEnroe and Roger Federer. I would love to meet her and she was the ultimate professional in broadcasting. Missed Sue presenting Wimbledon this year - it just wasn't the same without her.
"At one year old, Wade moved to South Africa with her parents. There, she learned how to play tennis."

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd argue Edward and his family not far behind.

They just get on with trying to live normal lives.
Prince Edward was at the same garden party I mentioned previously (Kriss Akubussi) with Prince Philip. When they came down the steps, Prince Philip went to his right and Prince Edward to the left. My daughter was the first person PE spoke to. It was the normal pleasantries like Where have you travelled from and did you have a good journey etc

This year, I went to a garden party in my own right, as a veteran, and the Duchess of Edinburgh (Sophie) was the designated royal. I didn't speak to her but she spent ages with the veterans who were presented.
Lots of celebs mingling with the veterans including Sue Pollard, Vanessa Phelz (both mad as boxes of frogs but lovely to chat with and photos) Alfie Bow etc.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Lovely

images

Shit

images

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
View attachment 168263

Superb fella, friendly, charming and responsible. Completely rescued an evening where a drunk boorish ex team mate of his offended a whole group of people with lewd comments and grotesque behaviour
I was on a train down from Victoria a few months ago immediately after the end of the Oval Test, and overheard a bloke sitting next to me who's daughter goes to the same school as Tufnell's (or something like that, I forget the details) talking about him in really quite unflattering terms.
I won't expand on that since it's hearsay and I can't remember the details. But I will say the two blokes having the conversation were absolute arseholes who completely failed to acknowledge that I'd stacked about two rucksacks full of inspection equipment and hi-vis on top of myself so they and their respective sons could sit next to each other.
Being an arrogant tosser isn't unique to celebrities.
Love:

Nigel Kennedy who I met on a train coming back from a match up North. We chatted football all the way back to London and he bought me a drink. Fine chap he was.
Good to hear, seen him a couple of times live and he clearly really loves music (in the general sense) and briefly interrupted one of the gigs as he'd just heard the results that meant Villa had been promoted.
Shit:
A nameless international cricketer who, when I was 14 and asking him for his autograph, made me carry his kit coffin all the way to his car before he would give it to me.
The occasional England cricketer who told me I could have his autograph if I walked his heavy cricket coffin to his car.
You've mentioned this before on other threads, give us a clue?

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Prince Edward was at the same garden party I mentioned previously (Kriss Akubussi) with Prince Philip. When they came down the steps, Prince Philip went to his right and Prince Edward to the left. My daughter was the first person PE spoke to. It was the normal pleasantries like Where have you travelled from and did you have a good journey etc

This year, I went to a garden party in my own right, as a veteran, and the Duchess of Edinburgh (Sophie) was the designated royal. I didn't speak to her but she spent ages with the veterans who were presented.
Lots of celebs mingling with the veterans including Sue Pollard, Vanessa Phelz (both mad as boxes of frogs but lovely to chat with and photos) Alfie Bow etc.
A friend of mine led a charity bike ride from Scotland to Buckingham palace that Sophie was part of. He only had positive things to say about her - went way further than just pleasantries and was a pleasure for the whole ride. Must have been 7 or 8 years ago as his lad was just starting to walk and some funny footage from the day of him wandering about the palace.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I was on a train down from Victoria a few months ago immediately after the end of the Oval Test, and overheard a bloke sitting next to me who's daughter goes to the same school as Tufnell's (or something like that, I forget the details) talking about him in really quite unflattering terms.
I won't expand on that since it's hearsay and I can't remember the details. But I will say the two blokes having the conversation were absolute arseholes who completely failed to acknowledge that I'd stacked about two rucksacks full of inspection equipment and hi-vis on top of myself so they and their respective sons could sit next to each other.

Good to hear, seen him a couple of times live and he clearly really loves music (in the general sense) and briefly interrupted one of the gigs as he'd just heard the results that meant Villa had been promoted.

I am going to guess. Chris Adams. Or maybe James Kirtley (sat next to him at a wedding and didn’t warm to him at all - nothing really horrible to report about him just didn’t warm to him)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I am going to guess. Chris Adams. Or maybe James Kirtley (sat next to him at a wedding and didn’t warm to him at all - nothing really horrible to report about him just didn’t warm to him)
From what I've gathered of Eeyore's age, I think it'd be somebody from an earlier generation of occasional England cricketer.
I vaguely knew somebody who was at college or something like that with James Kirtley. She apparently thought he was a bit odd/didn't warm to him either. Based on my opinion of her, I've always assumed he must be an absolutely top guy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

I don't normally name people in these circumstances because they have no right to reply. Although what I say is 100% true.

I was once told a story by someone whose brother played for Sussex about this person. Apparently, during a Sunday League match, he announced to his dressing room that he was going to smash said individual around the park. I have had the joy of seeing the video footage. He strides to the crease, takes his guard, and is bowled first ball. Five years after he made me carry his coffin on the same festival ground. Oh, how I laughed.

As regards Nigel K. I didn't recognise him at first when I sat with him until a load of Villa fans came up to chat. I then realised I'd only seen him on Wogan a couple of weeks or so before. He has a love affair with Hove. I think he mentioned that he used to stay there with a grandparent or something along those lines.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't normally name people in these circumstances because they have no right to reply. Although what I say is 100% true.

I was once told a story by someone whose brother played for Sussex about this person. Apparently, during a Sunday League match, he announced to his dressing room that he was going to smash said individual around the park. I have had the joy of seeing the video footage. He strides to the crease, takes his guard, and is bowled first ball. Five years after he made me carry his coffin on the same festival ground. Oh, how I laughed.

As regards Nigel K. I didn't recognise him at first when I sat with him until a load of Villa fans came up to chat. I then realised I'd only seen him on Wogan a couple of weeks or so before. He has a love affair with Hove. I think he mentioned that he used to stay there with a grandparent or something along those lines.
That's fair enough. As has been said previously on the thread, a lot of the time it depends on when you meet the person.
I've heard plenty of people slag of Botham, for example, but on the occasion I walked past him and Atherton at Headingley he stopped and signed things and posed for photos, while Atherton walked straight through. It wasn't a flattering comparison, but for all I know Athers might have been due to start a commentary stint 30seconds later, or he might have been desperate for a wee.

I know Kennedy was born in Brighton, but not anything about the rest of his childhood (I assume that a lot of it was spent playing the violin).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
That's fair enough. As has been said previously on the thread, a lot of the time it depends on when you meet the person.
I've heard plenty of people slag of Botham, for example, but on the occasion I walked past him and Atherton at Headingley he stopped and signed things and posed for photos, while Atherton walked straight through. It wasn't a flattering comparison, but for all I know Athers might have been due to start a commentary stint 30seconds later, or he might have been desperate for a wee.

I know Kennedy was born in Brighton, but not anything about the rest of his childhood (I assume that a lot of it was spent playing the violin).
Botham was always good with kids and gave time to sign autographs etc. A friend of his was trying to get me tickets for a Nat West Final but they didn't get sorted in time. Botham still sent them anyway with a nice message on them. It meant a lot to me.

I don't like his political views, and I don't think we'd ever be good having a drink together. But everyone is different. My only memories of him were good ones. He wasn't a great commentator for me, but that's because I'm still in mourning for days of Richie, Tony Cozier, Johno and CMJ. So no-one will ever meet my standard.

Sometimes I feel I'm just in mourning for cricket really.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
On a similar theme. Has anyone here ever met Colin Murray? He strikes me as a bloke that I would really get along with. He seems ace and would be a great friend.

Hopefully he didn’t once take the seat of an old person on the tube that someone witnessed.
I’m going to disappoint you. I had a chance encounter with Colin Murray and some friends of his at Boxpark before an NFL game at Wembley.

Despite the venue being full and him not being on any sort of guest list or at the front of the queue, he was demanding that the bouncers remove enough people so that he and his group could go in. When they flatly refused him, he was just generally acting like an entitled prick.

Very disappointing as I enjoyed, and still enjoy, his Five Live evening show and Fighting Talk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here