Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Carragher on how Albion figured out and blunted Man U diamond, with video

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Gone are the days where managers and players hang on until half-time ‘to change things’. If a manager has players with a good footballing brain and the right attitude you can make changes on the hoof. Providing of course that he has drilled them for every eventuality during training.
I think your last sentence is key 👍. I just can't imagine Poch, Ten Haag whoever working with the same hands on intensity in training that RDZ clearly does. Maybe Pep.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think your last sentence is key 👍. I just can't imagine Poch, Ten Haag whoever working with the same hands on intensity in training that RDZ clearly does. Maybe Pep.
I have grudging respect for Moyes and feel Ange will be as good if not better than Arteta and Howe, but Pep is the only manager I've seen who can hold a candle to RDZ.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
the beauty is that whoever we play, they are having to make huge adjustments to there game plan to counter us.

The big sides will not adjust to us as they expect to win regardless, which plays into our hands.

Teams at home are also expected to attack so giving us the ball also is a tricky call.

Our toughest oppenents will always be those sides out of the top 6 at home, who will come like West Ham did, sit in and counter as they are under no pressure to do anything else.

We look so good away from home when teams literally have to come after us more.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Every where I look it seems people are talking about us, all a bit surreal.
think it's safe to say we are no longer under the radar.
It's weird innit? Everywhere I go online, and I know the algorithm knows I like Brighton so pumps it all in my direction, but by god there's a lot of stuff on us, every single day.
The backlash must be just round the corner.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Wow! Just WOW !

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The difficulty will be when we go a goal down early to counter attacking teams and then they pack their half. That's how the Everton game started as they scored within 2 minutes I think and West Ham scored first too.
Yup, and you could see this is exactly what Newcastle tried to do with a blitz in the first 10 minutes.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Listening to the Monday Night Club this morning on the train, Chris Sutton was very confident that we will be found out. He cited West Ham's victory as the blueprint for not engaging and picking us off.
When listening to this, my first thought was that Sutton and Adam had paid attention to only part of what Moyes did tactically and over-simplified a relatively simple approach. Yes, sitting deep and not engaging with the press will mean that we will have to press forward ourselves. Yes this means gaps behind us, but to succeed the tactic requires that the two deep lines stay organised, work hard and defend the centre, but also have a decent escape valve to help the quick breaks needed to exploit this. This means that for the approach to work, a team needs to be equipped with dominant centre halves and very disciplined midfielders, but also needs a Michail Antonio type striker, capable of bullying and stretching two centre backs, winning high balls on the wings, and putting away chances.

How many EPL other than West Ham are equipped with the players to do this? The end of last season scatter graphics from Experimental 361 would suggest just Aston Villa, Brentford (who now don't have Toney) & Fulham (Who now don't have Mitrovic). The emergence of Taiwo Awoniyi this term means that you could probably add Forest, perhaps Hodgson now with Palace, but there won't be many more and they still have to rely on a lot going their way. When everything went right for Dyche's Everton against our complacent/knackered team at the end of last year, all of their shots on target were goals. They benefitted from more individual errors than they could have dreamt of from our back line and, like Areola for West Ham, Pickford made several goal winning stops. It was also one of the few games where he had Calvert-Lewin available. How would it have worked with our old mate Neal Maupay leading the line?

It's an approach that Chris Hughton would probably have taken against us. It works sometimes, but like Chris used to say - to get something against these teams, you need a bit of luck, they have to be off their game and you have to be perfect. Who among us that watched his team set up to draw 0-0 with Wolves, or fall at the very last hurdle against Tottenham would ever have believed that we're now one of those teams that he used to talk about?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Jamie Carragher has surprised me a lot here. I guess I don't see him do this enough.

Clearly knows his football tactics, and his summary was very well articulated. I've learnt a lot.
Is all the analysis done by Jamie on his own, or do football experts that work for Sky come up with some (or all) of it (like the footage of Roberto explaining the changes to Dunk) and then go through it with the presenter to, er, present?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The difficulty will be when we go a goal down early to counter attacking teams and then they pack their half. That's how the Everton game started as they scored within 2 minutes I think and West Ham scored first too.
We certainly need to learn to deal with park the bus and counter teams better.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
TBH, I think there is over analysis. It sort of suits our agenda due to the many admirers, but they forget (or ignore) three things that are not unconnected: luck; small margins; and the power of the first goal.

Take the last: in 12 of our last 13 PL games, the team that has scored first has won and the only exception was a draw (v Man City). There was a stat bandied around at weekend, the details of which escape me, that Albion have not a lost a game a where they were ahead at HT for about 25 games.

Add to this the other two points: there is fortune in many goals (EF's 3rd v Newcastle prime example). and small margins are almost the rule rather than exception. Against WHU, EF missed out equalizing due to 2 fine saves by Areola, but either of those a few centimetres further from his reach and it is a different game. The ball doesn't cross the goal line on Saturday it is 1-1 and, quite possibly, different game.

Over a season, all the analysis counts for sure. But generalizing too much from one match or a few incidents implies there is more science than there truly is.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Don't concede stupidly first and don't play Adam Webster
Our tactics and Everton's/West Ham's didn't need to change after the first goal. We didn't need to become desperate as there was plenty of time left, and they didn't then want to part the bus to protect their lead, because their buses were already parked. So regardless of the first stupid goal, their tactics continued to work against us and we conceded more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here