Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Caring for laminate flooring

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Another flooring question.

I was going to sand down and varnish up the wooden floorboards in my bedrooms.
But I'd forgotten what a ballache of a job it is.

So plan B is to just paint them.

I've found some heavy duty acrylic paint which looks like it might do the business.

Before I start any real world advise would be greatly appreciated.

Can't you just enjoy the floor you have got?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can't you just enjoy the floor you have got?

Oh man alive no.

It doesn't need much but it definitely needs something.

As said I wanted bring the board's up nicely, having done that before.
But the realisation of the work required v flooring on show makes it all rather pointless.

T'internet says I can bosh down a couple of coats of the aforementioned paint and job done.

That sounds too good to be true.
Hence hoping we had in our ranks someone who'd previously boshed down a couple of coats and the job was done.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Oh man alive no.

It doesn't need much but it definitely needs something.

As said I wanted bring the board's up nicely, having done that before.
But the realisation of the work required v flooring on show makes it all rather pointless.

T'internet says I can bosh down a couple of coats of the aforementioned paint and job done.

That sounds too good to be true.
Hence hoping we had in our ranks someone who'd previously boshed down a couple of coats and the job was done.

Back in the day that floor would have been dirt, with just a bit of threshings thrown on top, enjoy the boards in the moment, as they are rather than hoping for even better, at least you are not looking down on a floor that needs replacing.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Happy new year all.

I was looking for some advice on laminate flooring and there's always a veritable smorgasbord of intellect on NSC so I'm hoping for some pearls of wisdom.

I'm decorating the home at the moment and I've just laid new laminate flooring throughout, getting dust up isn't an issue but I've read so many mixed reviews about cleaning/washing the floor. It's all a bit like BoJo giving a Covid speech, "wash the floor, don't wash the floor". I obviously don't want to damage the floor by getting it wet but we've tried those wet wipe mop things and they're useless.
Just looking for a simple and relatively cost effective solution. Suggestions please.
Cheers.

don't wash it , there is a firm called Enjo who have a range of dry mops for timber floors , sweeping regularly and maybe a dry mop with a bit of MR SHEEN or similar once a fortnight will do , definitely don't "wash " it.

are the butt joints glued...?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
don't wash it , there is a firm called Enjo who have a range of dry mops for timber floors , sweeping regularly and maybe a dry mop with a bit of MR SHEEN or similar once a fortnight will do , definitely don't "wash " it.

are the butt joints glued...?

Wouldn't the Mr Sheen turn my home into an ice rink? It's fun watching my cat do a Scooby-Doo-esqe running on the spot when she has one of her Vietnam flashback moments, but I don't fancy doing the same whilst carrying my dinner or anything like that.

Joints aren't glued, just the click together variety. Just been using a flash mop with wipes, definitely haven't been washing the floor though.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Wouldn't the Mr Sheen turn my home into an ice rink? It's fun watching my cat do a Scooby-Doo-esqe running on the spot when she has one of her Vietnam flashback moments, but I don't fancy doing the same whilst carrying my dinner or anything like that.

Joints aren't glued, just the click together variety. Just been using a flash mop with wipes, definitely haven't been washing the floor though.

look mate , if you don't want advice from people who have nearly 40 years in the building industry then don't ****ing arsk.....ok ....:rolleyes::bigwave:

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I find stroking it & giving it a kiss before bed time keeps it well looked after

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
look mate , if you don't want advice from people who have nearly 40 years in the building industry then don't ****ing arsk.....ok ....:rolleyes::bigwave:

Honestly Syd he will be going tits up if he sprays Mr Sheen on laminate, he’s right.
I was polishing furniture and oversprayed onto a section of laminate floor, it was pretty slippery.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Got out of bed the wrong side or something?
Hard to tell the tone but I don't think my response was an unreasonable one, seems like a legit question, you put something slippery on a smooth surface and it makes it even more slippery, or maybe I've been using furniture polish wrong for several decades.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Got out of bed the wrong side or something?
Hard to tell the tone but I don't think my response was an unreasonable one, seems like a legit question, you put something slippery on a smooth surface and it makes it even more slippery, or maybe I've been using furniture polish wrong for several decades.

it'll build up a protective surface over time , soak into joints and seal moisture out .....i don't mean spray your whole floor with it , just a bit here and there and push it around.......

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Honestly Syd he will be going tits up if he sprays Mr Sheen on laminate, he’s right.
I was polishing furniture and oversprayed onto a section of laminate floor, it was pretty slippery.

no , no ,no ....you gotta rub it in and about with a moppy thing , shiny means shit won't stick....kapische...?

Last edited:

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
it'll build up a protective surface over time , soak into joints and seal moisture out .....i don't mean spray your whole floor with it , just a bit here and there and push it around.......

Ok, thank you. I'll give it a go.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here