Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Car Warranty companies.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Have just bought a second hand car from Car Giant but didn't take up their warranty which is an extra.Anyone recommend a good company to go with?
Is it even needed for a 4 year old car with full service history?
Thanks.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Have just bought a second hand car from Car Giant but didn't take up their warranty which is an extra.Anyone recommend a good company to go with?
Is it even needed for a 4 year old car with full service history?
Thanks.
Car giant warranties are useless so well swerved .

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Just save a bit of money in an account every month. Just in case. . . .thats all they do.

you've bought a reliablae car . . .

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had a Warranty Direct policy some years ago for my Audi A6 when the Audi warranty ran out. I had cause to make a claim for an expensive repair and they were superb, sorted a hire care, had my car towed and footed the bill for the (Audi) spare parts and pre-agreed percentage of the labour costs. Saved me a good £2K on what The repairs would have cost me.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
I had a Warranty Direct policy some years ago for my Audi A6 when the Audi warranty ran out. I had cause to make a claim for an expensive repair and they were superb, sorted a hire care, had my car towed and footed the bill for the (Audi) spare parts and pre-agreed percentage of the labour costs. Saved me a good £2K on what The repairs would have cost me.
Out of interest how much did you spend in total on the warranty?? So of course it has to be less than the repairs otherwise its not worth it.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Just save a bit of money in an account every month. Just in case. . . .thats all they do.

you've bought a reliablae car . . .
Yes they are reliable I agree. I also think Car Giant are careful with what they buy as they seem to have a good reputation and need to protect it.The sales guy said they check the cars thoroughly which he would say wouldn't he.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Out of interest how much did you spend in total on the warranty?? So of course it has to be less than the repairs otherwise its not worth it.
IIRC it was around £300 a year, maybe a bit more. Bear in mind my car was for my work so I needed a comprehensive cover. I think you can get it for less depending on a number of factors including mileage and the age of the car. Mine was 3 years old and I was doing around 25,000 miles a year.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
Anyway the sales guy said they do have an after sales service team as I asked what happens if tomorrow it packs in.If it has any issues I assume they would show soon so maybe there is a window of around 1 or 2 weeks after which the after sales teams no longer have to help.

Carbonara

May 24, 2023
IIRC it was around £300 a year, maybe a bit more. Bear in mind my car was for my work so I needed a comprehensive cover. I think you can get it for less depending on a number of factors including mileage and the age of the car. Mine was 3 years old and I was doing around 25,000 miles a year.
I need it for my work also and it occurs to me that I may struggle to find a company who will give me a warranty and if they do it will be expensive.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Anyway the sales guy said they do have an after sales service team as I asked what happens if tomorrow it packs in.If it has any issues I assume they would show soon so maybe there is a window of around 1 or 2 weeks after which the after sales teams no longer have to help.

they have to give you 3 months warranty regardless if you pay for extended warranty

Carbonara

May 24, 2023

they have to give you 3 months warranty regardless if you pay for extended warranty
There is no warranty. If you want it you have to pay for it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
I need it for my work also and it occurs to me that I may struggle to find a company who will give me a warranty and if they do it will be expensive.
I had ignored the letter from Audi offering to extend my warranty when it ran out, their quoted price to follow on was around £600. Because I left it for about three months then asked to extend it they said no, the warranty has to be taken out to coincide with the end of the manufacturers warranty, the quoted price then was over £900 per year, hence I shopped around and found warranty direct.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
I bought a car from them in 2010, at that time they mostly shifted ex lease cars. I got it for a very good price compared to a main dealer e.g. £18k vs ~ £27. It was nowhere near showroom condition hence the price but it was a decent car and I kept if for many years.

It's all a bit "luck of the draw" with cars anyway and as others have mentioned a warranty is a form of insurance. With a Toyota you should be fine...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here