Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] car insurance 17 year old

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I'l leave out the sob story, I've to renew my insurance today and need to insure my daughter who turns 17 this weekend on it. What sort of cover do i need for her to practice using my car? (i know its going to be expensive)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
Yeah that’s what I seem to remember when my wife was learning to drive. My insurance didn’t go up much whilst they were learning, but increased more once she passed her test.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Have a look at Marmalade, we insured our 17 year old with them when learning and when they passed on our car. You have to place a tracker in the car which monitors their driving. Cannot remember how much it was when learning, but costs £57pm once they passed. A quote to add him on our insurance was over £4k a year!

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Try Veygo. It's temporary car insurance and works well with my daughter who is learning. Very easy to sign up to and can specify for time you need to have the insurance for.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Insurance for a provisional is not too bad, will likely only add a couple of hundred quid on your insurance. It's when they pass that's the problem... My first insurance policy after passing was £1,800 on a 1L Seat Ibiza that I paid £1,400 for, and that was nearly 10 years ago!

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
All the time she's on a provisional it will be cheap because an experienced driver has to be in the car with her. Once she passes, the cost will rise.
My insurance was peanuts on provisional (I was 44 years old when learning so may have helped) but as soon as I passed, insurers wanted to pull my pants down. Some were quoting me £300-£400pm!
Only way around it I could find was having a black box fitted. Took my premiums down to under £90pm.
I can lose the box after only a year and the no claims will keep the cost around the same so it's worth doing for the first 12 months.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
When you get quotes, get them for her as both a learner and full licence holder. If she passes during the year, at least you know how much more you're going to pay :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here