Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Can You Believe This?

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
The £10 is the Christmas pension bonus. I got mine this week.
Winter Fuel Allowance is late this year (down to Covid and staff) I got mine in the bank today, whereas last year it was November 19th.

Have received the Winter Fuel Allowance of £150 I believe it is done in Aphaletic order

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I was about to reply that no-one in Wales speaks Welsh but turns out that a massive 18 % are able to speak their mother tongue :facepalm:

Edit; just noticed your location. Brilliant place name (genuinely). I’ve been repeating/practicing it in my best Welsh accent.

The thing is, I live in an area that is first language welsh so, essentially, a lot of people are more comfortable with, and do their business in welsh. Even those that are perfectly bilingual sometimes find it quite hard to translate between the 2 because they will do their thinking in either language rather than (as I have to) translate between the 2.

If it helps, Llan-err-mao-thwee is about the best I can write it. Our house name is a mouthful and the postal town is Machynlleth so it's always a bit of a laugh explaining that to people in England, or even South Wales.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Tiny Tim will eat this Christmas after all. Yeah!!!

Winter Fuel Allowance?

I'd ditch it. Turn off old the folks heating as well and send in a few returning COVID-ridden students to make them tea. That'll "decrease the surplus population!"

(I am joking)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The thing is, I live in an area that is first language welsh so, essentially, a lot of people are more comfortable with, and do their business in welsh. Even those that are perfectly bilingual sometimes find it quite hard to translate between the 2 because they will do their thinking in either language rather than (as I have to) translate between the 2.

If it helps, Llan-err-mao-thwee is about the best I can write it. Our house name is a mouthful and the postal town is Machynlleth so it's always a bit of a laugh explaining that to people in England, or even South Wales.

Blimey, I wasn’t saying it anything like that. Thank you

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Blimey, I wasn’t saying it anything like that. Thank you

You're very welcome. Croeso!

If it's of any interest, once you start understanding place names, they get easier to pronounce. Llan means church ground (or something similar) Y means 'the' and Mawddwy is the noun.That's sort of why the Y in the middle sounds different to the Y at the end. I'll stop there, I'm even boring myself. :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here