Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Can Uzun

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Perhaps aggressive without meaning to be aggressive, sorry if it came across as aggressive.

However, as some other posters have alluded to in this thread, we wouldn't have 90% of the current talent we have right now if we didn't take punts on these unknown players. I'm frankly shocked there are still people within our club who don't understand and appreciate our model which has produced almost £350m of revenue in the last 4 seasons. I'd actually be worried if we went out and spent £50m on a winger or defensive midfielder because that's not sustainable for a club of our size. And before you say, "we wouldn't need to spend £50m!", that really is the going rate for a defensive midfielder that would improve a top-8 PL club.
Perhaps I was a bit sensitive but my point was really that we do seem to sign a lot of teenagers who don´t make it to the PL. Maybe our net seems to have slightly larger holes.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Perhaps I was a bit sensitive but my point was really that we do seem to sign a lot of teenagers who don´t make it to the PL. Maybe our net seems to have slightly larger holes.
As the popular saying goes:

"You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the best* frogs and then sell them to Chelsea for a hilarious profit and then they turn out to be *not so good frogs."

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
yes we can GIF by Obama

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
PBOBE explained some time ago that it's all very well signing the brightest prospects, but for example if we sign six of the best young starlets, we need at least five more players to make a starting lineup in their age group,plus subs and squad depth. Many of those outside the six hot prospects won't get to the first team, but will get a great footballing education at Lancing and are needed to provide the basis of a team for the wonderkids. You can't just play six wonderkids on their own, they need willing runners and future Championship players to give them a platform. It's the process and if the also rans get sold for a million to a Championship side, that's still great for us and a budding career for the player.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Assuming it's Can and not Çan, then it's actually pronounced "Jan" with a hard J.

As an aside I had a lecturer at university once with the unfortunate name Tuna Kök. She was an excellent teacher though.
Sounds a bit fishy to me...

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Whilst it´s great that we are signing "ones for the future" many of these go out on loan and are often never seen again even though we sometimes make a profit on them.
I would like to see a PL ready DM and a Wide player with pace signed please :ascarf:
See posts like these 2 years ago for Mitoma / Adingra / Enciso / Ferguson / Buenonotte etc

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What is this? You could lliterally have written it on any of the 'Brighton sign Caicedo', 'Brighton sign Mac Allister', 'sign Mitoma', 'sign Enciso', 'sign van Hecke', 'sign Ferguson' 'sign Adingra' threads. Haven't we all learnt by now?
Ah. Should have read the whole thread before posting.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
PBOBE explained some time ago that it's all very well signing the brightest prospects, but for example if we sign six of the best young starlets, we need at least five more players to make a starting lineup in their age group,plus subs and squad depth. Many of those outside the six hot prospects won't get to the first team, but will get a great footballing education at Lancing and are needed to provide the basis of a team for the wonderkids. You can't just play six wonderkids on their own, they need willing runners and future Championship players to give them a platform. It's the process and if the also rans get sold for a million to a Championship side, that's still great for us and a budding career for the player.
That makes a lot of sense.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A few bit and bobs on this, kinda think we (if interested) would have the upper hand on any offer as Newcastle need to sell first.

This one implies he is not interested in moving until the end of the season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A few bit and bobs on this, kinda think we (if interested) would have the upper hand on any offer as Newcastle need to sell first.

Especially as Bayern have decided not to pursue the purchase of Kieran Trippier.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Plus Brighton are still in Europe and look more likely than Newcastle to qualify again this season (atm).

RustyKent

Jun 2, 2014
Herne Bay

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here