Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Solar Storm Warning

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
For those who can’t see it -

This.

For about the first time ever, phone cameras were able to capture an image that was better then the eye can see.

That's not to say that it wasn't visible with the naked eye, but a phone was able to make it look somewhat better.
The problem here was low cloud and fog over the forest so nothing was visible even with a phone (which I knew was the best way to see the view).

I just went back out and can now see a few stars - so took a few shots.

Pretty awful images compared to everyone else I’m afraid even upping the sat levels a bit. :facepalm:

But it’s something (completely invisible to naked eye though )

IMG_1857.jpeg

IMG_1846.jpeg

IMG_1843.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I haven't got to get up early, I'm not sure I could do an 'allnighter' anymore though! Is there an eta for it to peak again? If it's 4am then I'm not staying up that late, if it's an hour I think I could manage it.
It’s peaking again now. Look at the stars, and you may see what looks like whisps of clouds and then look through your phone lens. The camera picks up the greens more readily, but the red was easy to see with the naked eye. Try and get away from light pollution.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Taken from my window in Haywards Heath
IMG_4950.jpeg

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Overall I found it an odd experience wandering around my town at 1.30 am - it's dead quiet, with the sound of Oystercatchers in the bay clearly audible, which you can't hear during the day with all the hubbub. Must admit to being a little underwhelmed by what I could see with the naked eye - thought it would be much more obvious. It was mainly white-ish streaks, bit like a diffused searchlight. But came out so much better on a photo.

1715418827509.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here