Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Calde and the U18s

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My best mate has a son at the academy, and there's definitely an emphasis on player development and progression over results. Having said that, it doesn't mean they don't care about results at all, just that it's not a top priority.

A good way of thinking about it, is clubs at the same level such as Millwall, Charlton, Reading, win games but their teams are packed with physically big lads who are agressive. At a younger age this will get them results. But I've seen those teams play against my mate's son and technically they are light years behind. In years to come as the Brighton players grow and get bigger, those other sides won't be able to cope because their physical advantage has gone.

Those clubs want to win games now, but won't develop players long term. Brighton may lose some games now, but they will produce a crop of technically good players who know the fundamentals required for the first team like pressing as a team, playing out from the back, moving between the lines etc and those players will stand a much better chance of making it as a pro either at Brighton or somewhere else.

All of this! Obviously the Academy wants the teams to win and be successful but the ultimate goal is producing players to sign for the first team or sell on for profit.

Also academy coaches want to see how well the players respond to the objectives and tactics they've been given. They don't want the boys to win at all costs, they want boys that are coachable and follow the instructions the coaches give them. Sometimes those instructions and tactics don't want work but the coaches still want the boys to follow them as that is what a pro-footballer would be doing.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My best mate has a son at the academy, and there's definitely an emphasis on player development and progression over results. Having said that, it doesn't mean they don't care about results at all, just that it's not a top priority.

A good way of thinking about it, is clubs at the same level such as Millwall, Charlton, Reading, win games but their teams are packed with physically big lads who are agressive. At a younger age this will get them results. But I've seen those teams play against my mate's son and technically they are light years behind. In years to come as the Brighton players grow and get bigger, those other sides won't be able to cope because their physical advantage has gone.

Those clubs want to win games now, but won't develop players long term. Brighton may lose some games now, but they will produce a crop of technically good players who know the fundamentals required for the first team like pressing as a team, playing out from the back, moving between the lines etc and those players will stand a much better chance of making it as a pro either at Brighton or somewhere else.
Agree, U21 football is such a low level of physicality, a lot of those players just end being sloggers in non league where physicality rules all. Its why I'm not shocked by our loss to Steyning in the Senior Cup.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We are surely not moaning about the results or youth team? Have you seen how many youth teamers we have literally in our first team squad!?
Yes, and that was the reason for starting the thread. Losing a few games is neither here nor there but losing heavily to the worst team in the League, a team with zero points, was indicative to me that the conveyor belt may have stopped. Many others have said not to worry about it, and I accept that so long as all the players in that squad really are being developed to the max. Question asked and answered, likely I was worrying needlessly.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Yes, and that was the reason for starting the thread. Losing a few games is neither here nor there but losing heavily to the worst team in the League, a team with zero points, was indicative to me that the conveyor belt may have stopped. Many others have said not to worry about it, and I accept that so long as all the players in that squad really are being developed to the max. Question asked and answered, likely I was worrying needlessly.
So Saturday's team included two England U16 internationals, so there is talent there.
As much as I don’t like to say this about a club legend, the 18s have won two all season and were just beaten 6-1 by a Norwich team who didn’t have a single point up to now.

Feels like a poor appointment. What say ye @AZ Gull ?
But I am not sure I can sense your worthy concern from your opening post. It feels more like an attempt to start a pile on for a coach who has been in place for a matter of months, based on nothing more than a couple of bad results. Sorry to diss your son's academy mates, but this is barely relevant.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
So Saturday's team included two England U16 internationals, so there is talent there.

But I am not sure I can sense your worthy concern from your opening post. It feels more like an attempt to start a pile on for a coach who has been in place for a matter of months, based on nothing more than a couple of bad results. Sorry to diss your son's academy mates, but this is barely relevant.
I had no worthy concern in your words. I’d just been told we’d lost 6-1 to the worst team out there. Like I said, if that was the 21s, women’s or first team there’d be a full enquiry on here.

Had it not been a question however I wouldn’t have tagged AZ. That bit doesn’t fit your narrative.

Since then I’ve read replies on here and privately that have put my mind at rest.

The fact people people consider Calde untouchable is a bit worrying too, Bruno was and look what happened.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The fact people people consider Calde untouchable is a bit worrying too, Bruno was and look what happened.

Thing is it won't be Calde alone. There's various assistant coaches, the analysts who do all the video stuff and stats etc under Calde. Then above there'll be a head of coaching for the U18s and U21s, above them Head of Academy coaching and above them is the Academy boss. It's not just Calde alone with no accountability, there are loads of people involved.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I had no worthy concern in your words. I’d just been told we’d lost 6-1 to the worst team out there. Like I said, if that was the 21s, women’s or first team there’d be a full enquiry on here.

Had it not been a question however I wouldn’t have tagged AZ. That bit doesn’t fit your narrative.

Since then I’ve read replies on here and privately that have put my mind at rest.

Were you as equally concerned when we lost, at home, to Palace by 5 this time last year?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Thing is it won't be Calde alone. There's various assistant coaches, the analysts who do all the video stuff and stats etc under Calde. Then above there'll be a head of coaching for the U18s and U21s, above them Head of Academy coaching and above them is the Academy boss. It's not just Calde alone with no accountability, there are loads of people involved.
Sure, but the point I was responding to was "feels more like an attempt to start a pile on for a coach who has been in place for a matter of months"

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Were you as equally concerned when we lost, at home, to Palace by 5 this time last year?
I'm always concerned by bad results, yes. And I hate losing to Palace.

I'm looking a lot closer at our development results now than I was a year ago and also at the players because we've had so many teenagers come through it'd be good to know something about the next generation.

For balance, AZ said "The U-18s head coach position has been something of a revolving door recently; Calderon is the fifth person to hold the role in the last three-and-a-half seasons" so I guess it wouldn't just be me concerned with a 5-0 loss :shrug:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Sure, but the point I was responding to was "feels more like an attempt to start a pile on for a coach who has been in place for a matter of months"

All good. For what it's worth I didn't get any hints of a pile-on dog whistle and read your OP as a genuine thinking out loud sort of moment.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well, Calde himself says that the result DOES matter... (but that you learn more from a defeat)

While Calderon admits that there is no greater time to learn than after a defeat, his preference is always to win:

“It's not an excuse to say that you get to learn from a defeat, in coaching it’s the reality. For me, I learn more when I lose, but it doesn’t mean I want to lose.

“When you win, you don’t see the game again from the same perspective, but when you lose you want to know why. The most important thing is how you review.

“The first thing you have to do to improve as a player is to be critical of yourself. If you do that you will improve and that happens more when you lose than when you win. You have to be humble and honest to say ‘what I did wasn’t good enough, I will be better’.”

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Well, Calde himself says that the result DOES matter... (but that you learn more from a defeat)
Successive home games for the U-18s have now resulted in a 6-1 defeat (to a team who had lost the previous NINE league matches) and a 4-0 thrashing in the FA Youth Cup.

At least Calde must now be the most knowledgeable man in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here