Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bye-bye PotterBall, hello DeZerbiWay

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think there was a Lallana stat shown at half time which I think said something like 44 touches and 30 completed passes, suggesting two thirds of the time he was playing one touch football.

I think that makes a difference in trying to recycle the ball quickly.
Not sure that 44 touches means exactly that? I always thought that the 'touch' stat related to moves? So, if a player traps the ball, knocks it to his right, then passes it - I assumed that was one touch for stats purposes rather than three? But I don't actually know!

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Yeah the worry has to be teams realising a) you need hardworking, defensive forwards harrying our CBs and GK and b) the rest of the team keep their shape and don't bite. Just like with Potter, we are likely to be able to play our natural game against the better teams, but the rest (with decent managers) could prove tricky.
The wide thing is nonsense. All our goals came from wide positions yesterday.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Build up play was often to laboured under Potter then again Mitoma and Pervis add some real pace which Potter didn’t have for long periods

I take my hats off to the vastly superior knowledge on here ( meant seriously) .
Maybe I'm just enjoying the football more to notice the "how" it's been achieved.

Anyway, any reason his style still can't be called DeZerbiWay? PotterBall sort of sounded good but you rarely hear DeZerbiBall because it sounds crap! Is there an official/unofficial replacement for PotterBall I somehow missed?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Scenario: De Zerbi departs in the summer after being offered the Juventus job. Potter is available having been sacked by Chelsea.

Would there be any chance whatsoever of Tony Bloom ever asking Potter to return as Albion manager?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Scenario: De Zerbi departs in the summer after being offered the Juventus job. Potter is available having been sacked by Chelsea.

Would there be any chance whatsoever of Tony Bloom ever asking Potter to return as Albion manager?
Already that would feel like a step backwards and therefore very much out of character for Mr Bloom.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Without making any comment at all on the relative merits of De Zerbi and Potter, that would be a terrible idea for all concerned (possibly except De Zerbi).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Probably. Why not?

The idea that TB and PB are angry about GP is obviously just made up nonsense... which is pretty much what PB said as well.

Results wise, climbing 8 positions in three years while the club makes a profit on the transfer market is unheard of in the Premier League and unlikely to ever be repeated again by any manager in any club. Of course not all of that is down to GP or any other specific individual but he played a significant role in that achievement.

If the timing/situation is right both for TB & GP I think there is a good chance he might get the job at some point again. But that would have to be in several years, not this summer or anything like that.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
RDZ will stick with us for a while - we are a good match for his style - as would Man City be in a few years too

No more endless side to side passing - we get the ball down the pitch and actually score goals too

What's not to like

Plus has a bit of passion and emotion too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not sure that 44 touches means exactly that? I always thought that the 'touch' stat related to moves? So, if a player traps the ball, knocks it to his right, then passes it - I assumed that was one touch for stats purposes rather than three? But I don't actually know!
Correct.…..👍

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Some of these claims are quite simply false.
Please make it clear which claims you are referring to! 😉
Maybe I'm just enjoying the football more to notice the ‘how‘ it’s been achieved …but you rarely hear DeZerbiBall
Lo, I’m definitely not an expert by a long shot but early on made a decision to try and understand our signing choices in the past few seasons - Absolutely nothing wrong with just enjoying the football - I was, until I got fed up with all the negativity re: ‘lacking a striker’ being voiced ad nauseam, even just after beating teams by 3 or 4 goals because people aren’t happy with which players did or didn't score the goals ffs! - and I don’t mean recently but for several years!

Personally, have been using the term ‘dezerbi ball‘ since RDZ came to BHA and will continue to because it describes a complete goal scoring system distinct from the foundations laid down by GP and in my head, it means something specific. What I have found helpful btw is not just listening to his interviews but from reading pre-Brighton background on how he achieved success with clubs in Ukraine and Italy.

In other words, been trying catch up with what our talented scouts and our Owner knew months even years ago about RDZ’s management abilities, and what is also known by some of the most talented managers in football today - Pep and Klopp - that we have a manager building on a style of football at Brighton (inspired by Seletti, Pep, Klopp) that will very very likely have us challenging for European spots within the next few seasons with a style of football that does not require a Haaland or Kane or even an out and out no9.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Have to say, I bloody love the dangerous play around the box. We will concede some goals because of it but when it works it’s breathtaking. We trialled it in the Arsenal cup game with colwill stepping on the ball and waiting for the attacker to press as the trigger to start a move. It’s fast, has purpose and will result hopefully in more goals scored than conceded.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I take my hats off to the vastly superior knowledge on here ( meant seriously) .
Maybe I'm just enjoying the football more to notice the "how" it's been achieved.

Anyway, any reason his style still can't be called DeZerbiWay? PotterBall sort of sounded good but you rarely hear DeZerbiBall because it sounds crap! Is there an official/unofficial replacement for PotterBall I somehow missed?
DeZerbiWay sounds like the road they'll name after Roberto when he takes us to the Champions League.

But I think Zerbing is a better name for the style of play. It's an action word and sound like the way we play - pinging the ball, one touch, crisp and fast, energetic, intelligent, exciting. Zerbing.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Tuned in to hopefully see Chelsea get a Potter Pasting but instead they’re playing fast flowing football and have repeatedly shredded Bou’s back 5. Cucu is playing high in his favourite position and back to where GP had him at Brighton - It pisses me off a bit that he’s enjoying his football again - I would still like to see Cucu back at Brighton - I think he’s one of the most versatile players in the PL - not Potter though - ever 🤨

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Tuned in to hopefully see Chelsea get a Potter Pasting but instead they’re playing fast flowing football and have repeatedly shredded Bou’s back 5. Cucu is playing high in his favourite position and back to where GP had him at Brighton - It pisses me off a bit that he’s enjoying his football again - I would still like to see Cucu back at Brighton - I think he’s one of the most versatile players in the PL - not Potter though - ever 🤨
I'd love to see Cucurella back again, his last appearance at Falmer was hilarious.
Not that I want either of them back, I'm less annoyed at Potter for taking an offer when it came than I am with Cucurella desperately trying to flog himself all summer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here