Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] BT enters final stage of talks to offload Premier League rights

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Are Sky who throw billions at it happy to have all this competition.
Sky don't have a choice. The TV package was split into groups of matches with the purpose that they could be bought by various broadcasters. In the end though, Sky and BT inflated the price so much that no one else who is from the UK was prepared to enter bidding. They policy was supposed to give greater choice to viewers, but instead it's come at enormous cost to the viewer.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed, hence my point if they took over the BT coverage it would become effectively live and remove most of the delay.

I guess this is something that Sky have considered with their Sky Glass service to look at ways to remove the latency. I also saw that Amazon were aiming for a 5 second max latency on their coverage, but will obviously depend on how people are streaming.
I mistook the word 'they' to mean Amazon when you meant BT. [emoji106]

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Will be very annoyingly if discovery buying BT means Eurosport is taken off free to air.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Will be very annoyingly if discovery buying BT means Eurosport is taken off free to air.

Discovery isn't buying BT. Its a joint venture. Hard to tell what the immediate impact will be but my guess will be that BT Sport continues as is at least until the contract for PL comes up again in 2025 This allows Discovery to massively increase their UK sports rights portfolio. Challenges obviously for Sky and Amazon (Sky will probably want to protect what they have and Amazon might want to expand their portfolio further in 2025)
The other complexity is what will now happen with Discovery + as a channel brand and future streaming services.. Discovery are the main rights holder for Olympics 2024 and the current Winter Olympics , and entertainment wise - what it means for the launch of HBO Max (stalled in the UK whilst HBO have a rights deal with Sky) .
Discovery might also rethink about what to do wtih the Eurosport brand.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
AWS is an amazing platform for reliability, so reliable in-fact that Netflix actually use Amazon to host their services. Bad company morally, but they do offer an amazing service. Anyone with issues probably have local network problems to troubleshoot.

AWS is a global player in the world of cloud hosting on a par with the Microsoft Azure offering.

I've worked several contracts for HMRC over the last 5 years on their journey to the cloud - basically decommissioning Fujitsu and Capgemini on-premise data centres and moving systems and data to AWS and Azure clouds who can host way cheaper with all the resilience and security thrown in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here