Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Bruce Willis retiring

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I love so many Bruce Willis movies, he’s hugely underrated. Other than the obvious Die Hard trilogy, he was quality in The Sixth Sense, 12 Monkeys, Red and Pulp Fiction.

I hope he has happy times ahead.

Love all of those and he was also great in Sin City, Fifth Element and unbreakable

Die Hard is still the greatest Christmas movie of all time

He can look back on a great career and people will continue to enjoy his films into his retirement and beyond

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Contra view here.

I thought Moonlighting was awful. In fact I cannot think of one film of his I enjoyed.

Obviously sad / but doesn’t mean I have to like any of the stuff he made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I'm surprised he wasn't in a western. Did he ever do a western ?

I really like westerns.

Good point. Can't think of one.

'Last Man Standing' is probably the closest.

Kurosawa got a writing credit as it was pretty much 'Yojimbo but set in the prohibition era and 'Yojimbo' was remade/ ripped off as 'A Fistful Of Dollars'.

(It's not very good).

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
i was 16 when Die Hard came out so yeah gotta luv Bruce Willis. As an aside, did he ever manage to "act" in a film that wasn't "Bruce Willis Being Bruce Willis"? (a bit like Ricky Gervais Being Ricky Gervais). All I can think of is Sixth Sense, which was a corker. I love to see an actor going against type (such as Robin Williams in One Hour Photo).

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I couldn't stand Moonlighting, but didn't mind some of his movies.
Better on big screen than small.
Lucky to have made enough to support himself for the more difficult years to come.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting reading "insider gossip" from the last few months

"A friend of mine met him at an event recently and said that he was mentally barely there. There is an entire industry of people whose careers are based on keeping him working. They feed him lines through a hearing aid. They bring him from A to B. They train him. If he stops working then it all goes away so they just sign him up for more."

"It's hard to even say it's a rumor at this point. Enough people have come forward who have worked on Bruce Willis films in the last few years and they all have the same story. He's constantly confused, wears an earpiece so that lines can be read to him, and frequently loses track of where he is and what he's supposed to be doing.

My hope is that he has people who legitimately care for him managing things for him, and that they're just setting up these jobs because Bruce really does enjoy doing it - and not because they're leeches trying to squeeze every last cent out of his decaying husk while they still can."

Poor man. This has probably been ongoing for quite a long time.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Interesting reading "insider gossip" from the last few months

"A friend of mine met him at an event recently and said that he was mentally barely there. There is an entire industry of people whose careers are based on keeping him working. They feed him lines through a hearing aid. They bring him from A to B. They train him. If he stops working then it all goes away so they just sign him up for more."

"It's hard to even say it's a rumor at this point. Enough people have come forward who have worked on Bruce Willis films in the last few years and they all have the same story. He's constantly confused, wears an earpiece so that lines can be read to him, and frequently loses track of where he is and what he's supposed to be doing.

My hope is that he has people who legitimately care for him managing things for him, and that they're just setting up these jobs because Bruce really does enjoy doing it - and not because they're leeches trying to squeeze every last cent out of his decaying husk while they still can."

Poor man. This has probably been ongoing for quite a long time.

That is truly sad if true.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Seems like a good guy, a very likeable actor who has entertained me immensely down the years. Effortless charisma with an everyman charm, a very decent actor indeed. Its so sad when you get to this stage of life, and the icons you grew up with and enjoyed start to faulter.

Kamara is another sad one. I know its not quite the same affliction, but I'd noticed some time ago on Soccer Saturday that he seemed to be slowing down and sometimes slurring on his live reports. Then another week he'd be fine, but it was noticable on his 'bad days' that he wasn't quite on it.

Growing old can be proper shit.

I echo that sentiment. Suddenly finding you are on first name terms again with your GP is a little disconcerting!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I remember really enjoying Moonlighting when it came out.
Thought it was very much of it's time, surprised [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] had heard of it.

Wouldn't mind watching it again to see whether it still stands up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
****ing creepy is what it is.

When did it start? No one probably knows exactly but in 2013ish he makes a few weird interviews, stumbling on words and generally acting a bit erratic. Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgCXAQQB-aQ

Doesnt need to be about his condition but two years later he is wearing some kind of earpiece on his Broadway show to help him remembeer his lines. Apparently crying after shows etc., might have been quite a struggle for him to get through it... he also gets sacked from a couple of movies such as one with Woody Allen for not remembering his lines, which was then attributed to being lazy. This is some movie inside talk from 2015:

"Yep. Fired. A friend is on the film. Bruce couldn't remember a line. Cue cards were no help. Cast were losing their minds."

That was seven years ago. And then about a year ago, people really started talking about him not being able to remember more than one line at a time, having handlers with him at all times, and they have to tell him both what to do and what to say and he frequently messes up, like repeating his instructions rather than his lines. Matt Eskandari directed five of his movies in the last five years (well, from 2017-2020) and commenting on rumours that they are true and that it was very sad to see Willis deteriorate in front of him.

I really hope he knows who he is etc. but I do get the impression that people around him are playing the "aphasia" card because it sounds a lot better than "the guy has been a near-empty vessel for a few years and we've milked him".

Creepy is what it is anyway. And quite sad, just crumbling like that while people call him greedy, lazy etc. You'd imagine he'll get the Academy Honorary Award next year as he has had an incredible career and on paper is one of the most successful actors in history and still never picked up an Oscar. Hopefully he'll be aware of what he is recieving and why... he would also provide some good material for Chris Rock, I guess.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I remember really enjoying Moonlighting when it came out.
Thought it was very much of it's time, surprised [MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] had heard of it.

Wouldn't mind watching it again to see whether it still stands up.

Yeah it is a bit random.. not many from my generation has seen it.

I watched a lot of Bruce Willis as a kid though... I've seen Die Hard 3 at the very least 30 times, so I was always open for some Bruce stuff(ing?).

When I was 13-14 years old enough to be awake all nights but too young to be out partying and doing other dumb shit, there was this TV channel that used to have the following "late night" lineup that I would have in the background while writing or chatting on IRC:

The Simpsons
Family Guy
Magnum
Hawaii 5-0
Everybody Loves Raymond
and then about 4 in the night, they'd show Moonlighting, so thats how I was introduced to it. I really liked the scripts and dialogues so it didnt take me long until I bought all the Moonlighting DVD boxes as well as Cybill Shepherds self-biography (Cybill Disobedience)... was a pretty hardcore fan for a few years!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Sad to see him have to end his career in this way. I also enjoyed Moonlighting but then equally enjoyed the film Blind Date he made with Kim Basinger - nothing like the Die Hard character at all. Also still thoroughly enjoy most of the Die Hards, Pulp Fiction, Fifth Element, etc and usually continue watching if I happen to flick onto them of an evening

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Lucky to have made enough to support himself for the more difficult years to come.

A touching tribute.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

What an odd poem.

Anyway, I love Bruce Willis movies, they're ridiculous and genius and entertaining but he's also capable of real depth. Unbreakable is a brilliant performance, as is Sixth Sense.

I still don't full understand why he got to pick his crew to go into space in Armageddon though. That will never be a plot point that seems reasonable to me!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here