Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton teenager jailed for planning attack on Synagogue

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Very disturbing story. In all my years of living in Brighton & Hove, having experienced first hand, antisemitic attacks on other Synagogues in Hove, this takes the risks to Synagogues (and other ethnic/minority groups’ places of congregation) to a new and shocking level.

How on earth does a teenager, living with his parents in a relatively affluent and left wing cosmopolitan City, become so radicalised with far right fascist ideology and filled with Hate?

Brilliant work on behalf of the police but as Jew that has a close ties with the synagogues in Hove, I find this is sickening tbh.

Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
FFS, as a Jew it depresses me how much bull there is about the threat to Jews from the left, whilst the far right is completely ignored. It's not long ago rallies of the far right in the US were chanting 'The Jews will not replace us!'. Their embracing of Israel has not stopped their anti semitism. The naked racism of many politicians today breeds these dangerous nutters.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FFS, as a Jew it depresses me how much bull there is about the threat to Jews from the left, whilst the far right is completely ignored. It's not long ago rallies of the far right in the US were chanting 'The Jews will not replace us!'. Their embracing of Israel has not stopped their anti semitism. The naked racism of many politicians today breeds these dangerous nutters.

An (Islamic) LBC presenter always described it as a tri-way pincer movement from the hard left, far right and some extreme Islamists.

The far right dislike in the US/UK eg KKK hatred of Jews has always been weird. It’s basis on devout Christianity, they shopped Jesus to the Romans? But they do also hate Catholics.

One comfort, GCHQ are always actively investigating more Far Right conspiracies than Islamist, they’re very switched onto this.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The first duty of the country is to protect its citizens.

The story of this case beggars belief. When the time comes to review any application for parole, I would hope and expect that the key criterion, first, last and centre, is that first duty.

If he is ever released out into the community, he should be tagged and put under surveillance. There must be zero evidence that the Jewish community will be put at risk. Nothing else matters.

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The first duty of the country is to protect its citizens.

The story of this case beggars belief. When the time comes to review any application for parole, I would hope and expect that the key criterion, first, last and centre, is that first duty.

If he is ever released out into the community, he should be tagged and put under surveillance. There must be zero evidence that the Jewish community will be put at risk. Nothing else matters.

It isn’t just the Jewish Community either that is at risk from far right/fascist ideologues (white supremacists) - Blacks, LBGTQ, Muslims or anyone of colour; people like the 18 year old living with his parents in Brighton, have been radicalised by the likes of the BNP , social media content posted by neo-fascists and content posted on the dark web.

Short of restricting internet access or content, protecting innocent citizens both from being persuaded by or being victims of extremist ideology is incredibly difficult - especially when they have access to disgraceful people like this online

Last edited:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Very disturbing story. In all my years of living in Brighton & Hove, having experienced first hand, antisemitic attacks on other Synagogues in Hove, this takes the risks to Synagogues (and other ethnic/minority groups’ places of congregation) to a new and shocking level.

How on earth does a teenager, living with his parents in a relatively affluent and left wing cosmopolitan City, become so radicalised with far right fascist ideology and filled with Hate?

Brilliant work on behalf of the police but as Jew that has a close ties with the synagogues in Hove, I find this is sickening tbh.
just maybe he is sick of what the jews are doing in Gaza and as a sheltered 19 yr old thinks that blowing himself up and taking a synagogue with him is a noble thing to do......maybe he's fried.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
It isn’t just the Jewish Community either that is at risk from far right/fascist ideologues (white supremacists) - Blacks, LBGTQ, Muslims or anyone of colour; people like the 18 year old living with his parents in Brighton, have been radicalised by the likes of the BNP , social media content posted by neo-fascists and content posted on the dark web.

Short of restricting internet access or content, protecting innocent citizens both from being persuaded by or being victims of extremist ideology is incredibly difficult - especially when they have access to disgraceful people like this online
are you serious mate ....?? the BNP ...?? even 19 year olds have eyes and ears , they can all see what is going on around the world and can form their own opinions wether they be right or wrong .

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
This guy has hideous views and he needs to be re-educated fast. It sounds like he has slipped into a black hole of incorrect thinking.

What concerns me about this case is that he is being sentenced for something he might have done rather than something he has done.

I hope we don’t risk radicalizing him further by sending him to prison. Instead we need to find ways to re-educate him.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

There is an item in today's Telegraph (sorry) about concerns that future terrorists are all going to be children, radicalised on the internet.
Grim that but in a considerably different note the internet is a powerful medium, take me for example, I’ve been on NSC for over 25 years and it would be fair to say today that I really dislike a lot more people on here because of their political ramblings than I ever did in 2003 for example

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Some of the organizations he followed online are heinous. There’s some people with some very twisted views.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
just maybe he is sick of what the jews are doing in Gaza and as a sheltered 19 yr old thinks that blowing himself up and taking a synagogue with him is a noble thing to do......maybe he's fried.

It says “police found a note on his phone created on 7 May 2023”, so no, that’s not true. So don’t try and conflate the issues.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Considering his hatred of Jews pre-dates that, we can conclude this was not a motivation. I would suggest he has no love for Gazans either.

I'd also suggest that you give your head a wobble too buddy. I really don't know why you drew that conclusion.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
This guy has hideous views and he needs to be re-educated fast. It sounds like he has slipped into a black hole of incorrect thinking.

What concerns me about this case is that he is being sentenced for something he might have done rather than something he has done.

I hope we don’t risk radicalizing him further by sending him to prison. Instead we need to find ways to re-educate him.

Of course he was sentenced for something “he might have done”. He committed an act of Terrorism under the Terrorism Act 2006 - it doesn’t matter whether he carried out the plan or not, he was deemed to pose a serious risk to the community.

“Section 5 makes it an offence for a person to engage in the preparation of acts of terrorism, or to assist others in preparation of acts of terrorism. This includes attempts. It is an offence which requires proof that an individual had a specific intent to commit an act or acts of terrorism and can encompass a wide range of different levels of criminality, from a minor role in relation to intended acts all the way through to the planning of multiple murders.

The maximum sentence in respect of section 5 is a sentence of imprisonment for life.”

Preparation of terrorist acts (S.5 TA 2006)

Surely we don’t wait for people planning terrorist attacks to blow up a building with a load of people inside before arresting them and punishing them do we? The authorities would be severely criticised if that happened and accused of failing in their duty of preventing terrorism..

Part of the incarceration of terrorists comes with mandatory’deradicalistion’ programmes and also voluntary engagements but there is a ongoing doubts as go their effectiveness.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I'd also suggest that you give your head a wobble too buddy.
You think I should give my head a wobble?

For what!?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Zeberdi

NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
? It's not written to you. It's for our Aussie member.
You said him “too” - if you just meant @sydney should do so - then I agree.

I don’t think making antisemitic and deliberately inflammatory comments about “The Jews” on NSC by blaming them for killing Gazans is anywhere near an appropriate response to a news story of someone planning to blow up a Synagogue in Hove. It is not “Jews” that are responsible for what’s happing in Gaza (I’m Jewish, how am I responsible? How are my relatives in the US responsible? How is our Chairman, Tony Bloom responsible? Or @Comrade Sam?) it is the far right Government being dictated to by extremists that few Israelis now support, not the “Jewish people” who are responsible.

Frankly suggesting, even implying that someone has a justification for blowing up a Synagogue full of innocent people in Hove because of the war in Gaza is appalling imo notwithstanding the man’s neo-Nazi views were developed long before October 7.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here