Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs AFC Bournemouth *** Official Match Thread ***

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Three lads sat behind me today we're from Italy and we're absolutely raving about us.
Two Juve fans and one Inter, all said we are beautiful to watch (maybe not today) and we're attracting a decent following in Italy thanks to RDZ.
Long article in French sports paper L'Èquipe yesterday about why our fans love Tony Bloom - unfortunately behind a paywall - but we're definitely gaining a lot of attention outside the UK.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Yeah I agree that you need to give others a chance, but then that's why I thought he could still have come on before he did. If we're hoping for Europe, we can't afford to throw points away for points of principle.
According to the footballing sages we gave up anywhere between £60-90million defending a principle with Caicedo. RDZ and the club made the right call yesterday for Caicedo and his advisers, and even more importantly for Gilmour, irrespective of the result.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
According to the footballing sages we gave up anywhere between £60-90million defending a principle with Caicedo.
Who exactly says that? We were offered £70m, and there's not real indication we'll get any less if he goes in the summer, and that doesn't take into account how much benefit he could be to the club this season, so I don't see how we gave up anything. And it was also worth letting the other players know that we won't just sell when a player starts complaining.

RDZ and the club made the right call yesterday for Caicedo and his advisers, and even more importantly for Gilmour, irrespective of the result.
So bringing Caicedo on at half time would have been the wrong call? And I can't see how it would make any difference to Caicedo's advisers. It makes no difference to them how many minutes he got.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Long article in French sports paper L'Èquipe yesterday about why our fans love Tony Bloom - unfortunately behind a paywall - but we're definitely gaining a lot of attention outside the UK.
I doubt if it reaches the heights of those cartoon cats though.

I just hope the Japanese artist is willing to give them big balls this time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
On the match in general, this was a huge three points bearing in mind the absences of key players, the fact that we usually struggle against the Pluckies anyway and this time they had £50m's worth of new signings playing, and the possible Caicedo fall-out. As many have said, it's a game we might not have won under a previous head coach, especially with the opposition defending deep, but the willingness to throw young attacking talent on in search of the winner paid off - Bournemouth were already under mounting pressure and having Enciso and Buonanotte running at them must have been the last straw. And seeing Gilmour, Undav and others showing promise was a great sign for the rest of the season.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It's easy to note that this is the sort of game we'd have drawn/lost under previous managers, but I think it was more positive than that. I don't remember too many clear cut chances v Leeds in that game. A few shots from the edge of the area, but no real 'should have scored there' moments. These are the sorts of games where we haven't just failed to score, but been stifled in getting into any good position.

But yesterday we did. Not just the triple chance for Undav (I thought he did better with this than Welbeck did with his chances, tbh, a good block from the defender, a good save from the keeper who was moving in the opposite direction, and the post). Welbeck had a great chance with a header in the first (that went into the keeper's hands) and breaking through into the box and blasting over from close range. There was a cut back from Mitoma, and I'm sure there were others I'm forgetting right now.

What I'm saying is that, at least in this game, we seemed to be able to get in behind of a team that were a very disciplined defensive block and create good chances so it would have felt an injustice not to win v similar games last season where we haven't done enough to earn a win v such defensive play.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
ok, where is that Undav goal you promised Mystic Zeb?
Not sure why the sarcastic comment tbh - What I actually said in response to some negative comments coming in from a few people when we were still 0-0, is that Mitoma ‘will score’ (because he usually does!) BUT I said even maybe Undav would score. Imo he was playing well at that point and had looked likely a few times so ‘maybe’ was a fair assessment based on the play - no ‘mystic Zeb’ required.

IMO Undav had a pretty impressive first half yesterday (for him) and had come closer than anyone else to scoring in the first half - yes he missed 3 times but the guy is improving under RDZ and has upped his game compared to where he was at the beginning of the season.

Still a lot of work to do but I’ve not given up on him yet and he is definitely growing on me.

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

Oct 13, 2022
The Highlands
Not sure why the sarcastic comment tbh - What I actually said in response to some negative comments coming in from a few people, is that Mitoma ‘will score’ (because he usually does!) BUT I said even maybe Undav would score. Imo he was playing well at that point and had looked likely a few times so ‘maybe’ was a fair assessment based on the play - no ‘mystic Zeb’ required.

IMO Undav had a pretty impressive first half yesterday (for him) and had come closer than anyone else to scoring in the first half - yes he missed 3 times but the guy is improving under RDZ and playing in the U21s has also upped his game compared to where he was at the beginning of the season.

Still a lot of work to do but I’ve not given up on him yet and he is definitely growing on me.
FFS it wasn't sarcastic. I was actually congratulating your prediction.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
FFS it wasn't sarcastic. I was actually congratulating your prediction.
Ok I’m sorry -I was wrong about Undav maybe scoring, that’s why I thought you were being sarcastic- 🫣 😟

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Who exactly says that? We were offered £70m, and there's not real indication we'll get any less if he goes in the summer, and that doesn't take into account how much benefit he could be to the club this season, so I don't see how we gave up anything. And it was also worth letting the other players know that we won't just sell when a player starts complaining.

Unless their contract has only a year to run and we want a half decent fee for them.

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022

So bringing Caicedo on at half time would have been the wrong call? And I can't see how it would make any difference to Caicedo's advisers. It makes no difference to them how many minutes he got.
Perhaps his agents get paid by the minutes he is on the pitch. ;)

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
are you sure it wasn’t Offiah ?

Lol, some fans did sing when Offiah warmed up with JPVH but Caicedo came out with Enciso (or Sarmiento) and lots more fans sung. That's when he clapped us above his head in our directon.

yaddab

Jan 20, 2022
Following the match through the good offices of Johnny and Warren - sounds like we're very sloppy today. Banana skin vibes very strong!
Where was Warren on Saturday - he was AWOL, missed him, any idea of he has gone ?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
21 minutes in for the goal...

Thank you, a heartbreaker for Plucky.

795A0D57-F43A-4EB6-8A6A-AC282A5175A7.png

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here