Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Brighton Council urged to act after mum crashes into Elm Grove bollard

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
"Brighton Council urged to act"... on what exactly? Bad driving? Eyesight tests?

1670847603690.png

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Many years ago I crashed into a tree ..... def Not my fault "tree was not lit". Prosecuted for careless driving. Mrs Nowicki should be prosecuted for careless driving !!!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I drove back yesterday evening from oooop norf and the speed at which some drivers were belting down the M23 in the sleet and snow was quite frightening.

I was doing a pretty consistent 60-65 and one particular (female) driver must have flew past me around 70, then slow right down to 50 so I'd overtake her and then she'd fly past me again a few mins later. Honestly must have happened 8 or 9 times on the stretch from the M25 junction to the A27 turn off. You could see she was extremely unconfident in driving in those conditions.

Utter madness.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
from the article two things stand out. at face value, the problem would be the parked cars not the bollard itself. its there for a crossing point, its supposed to be an obstacle to avoid.
on more cynical side, whiplash and concussion from having knocked over a bollard and come to a stop from 30mph (right)? come off it.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I've driven past that bollard 1000's of times and so far I've managed to avoid crashing into it every single time. Clearly if it's that much of a problem the odds say i'd have hit it by now?
maybe you drive with your eyes open?

She’s bloody lucky there wasn’t a pedestrian standing there waiting to cross the road.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I used to live up there and that crossing is really useful, as there aren't any other convenient points to cross. When you consider there is primary school just next to that crossing and how important it is to give kids a safe place to cross the road , I think it would be far better to urge the driver to pay more attention to the road, than remove the crossing. It reeks of, "I f****d up here, but I'll blame it on everyone else rather than take responsibility for my own actions"

Last edited:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Things for and against.
Yes, coming down that road you will be driving very close to the centre due to cars parked either side. Maybe it was dark (4:45?) and the street lights had not come on yet and so it may have 'jumped out'. But Google maps show a light post in the middle (maybe not on) which would have taken quite something to knock over.
This picture gives you a better idea of the approach and cars either side.
1670849113807.png

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I drove back yesterday evening from oooop norf and the speed at which some drivers were belting down the M23 in the sleet and snow was quite frightening.

I was doing a pretty consistent 60-65 and one particular (female) driver must have flew past me around 70, then slow right down to 50 so I'd overtake her and then she'd fly past me again a few mins later. Honestly must have happened 8 or 9 times on the stretch from the M25 junction to the A27 turn off. You could see she was extremely unconfident in driving in those conditions.

Utter madness.
Indeed a common practice ...

They slow down when they're on the phone as they find driving and talking at the same time a bit challenging, then when they hang-up the call they put their foot down again.

My daughter "ran-over" a traffic island just like that, but in a 50 mph limit - broke both off-side alloys and bent the chassis on her Fiat.
As my mum [her Nan] says: "Yer pays for yer lerning!"

Compo? Nah, clip round the ear and told to pay more attention next time!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Maybe it was dark (4:45?) and the street lights had not come on yet and so it may have 'jumped out'.

View attachment 154651

How ??

Surly as she was aware it was raining and the light was fading...
1: Her windscreen wipers would have helped with that pesky rain...
2: Being aware of the above, and a good driver concerned for her children in such hazardous conditions she also switched on her headlights.
3: Just what have her Children's issues got to do with her careless driving, why is that relevant, or mentioned is that the Argus looking for a bit of a story or if your the mum your looking for sympathy, or strengthen your case, but I can't see how it is relevant at all.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
How ??

Surly as she was aware it was raining and the light was fading...
1: Her windscreen wipers would have helped with that pesky rain...
2: Being aware of the above, and a good driver concerned for her children in such hazardous conditions she also switched on her headlights.
3: Just what have her Children's issues got to do with her careless driving, why is that relevant, or mentioned is that the Argus looking for a bit of a story or if your the mum your looking for sympathy, or strengthen your case, but I can't see how it is relevant at all.
Psycho. Wasn't defending her at all. In my mind the road leading up to the centre island is tight and to avoid the island you'd need to steer to the left. If it was dark you may not see the island until the last second. Speed would depend on what happened next. I did also point out a post that may have been on the island and that would take some impact to knock it over in my mind.
So defending her in that you would need to drive down the centre of the road in the 100 yards leading up to the island but at a slow speed you would be able to avoid the island, even in the dark.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Psycho. Wasn't defending her at all. In my mind the road leading up to the centre island is tight and to avoid the island you'd need to steer to the left. If it was dark you may not see the island until the last second. Speed would depend on what happened next. I did also point out a post that may have been on the island and that would take some impact to knock it over in my mind.
So defending her in that you would need to drive down the centre of the road in the 100 yards leading up to the island but at a slow speed you would be able to avoid the island, even in the dark.
Official Old Man, I was not having a go at you at all, I was aware you were playing devils advocate, I was just pointing out all the reasons why it is just poor driving on her part. I live on Hartington Road, and drive down and up Elm grove at least once a day usually, I have never had a problem with avoiding it, furthermore never heard of a crash there, the worst part about that road, are the inconsiderate drivers parking near the school in their 4x4 or just driving erratically and turning into muesli mountain without indicating at the last minute. Driving around Elm grove is terrible, they seem to have a high percentage of bad drivers, school run is the worst, when they all live within bloody walking distance anyway to get into that school.

Peace to you OOM

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
She has a point if she's correct that street lights don't come on till 5. It's surely proper dark by then? Why would they be so late? If it's a school crossing point, it ought to be lit. Don't they have a light sensor anyway?

But there's never an excuse for driving faster than what's safe in the conditions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here